Filtering in Spain - the terrible truth!

The black art of moving from A to B on foreign soil
AlanHolt

Re: Filtering in Spain - the terrible truth!

Post by AlanHolt »

Oop North John wrote:
Richard Simpson Mark II wrote:Police in UK are now fining drivers if they pass cyclists closer than 1.5 metres.

http://www.cyclingweekly.com/news/lates ... ist-341083
Are cyclist's expected to keep 1.5m from a vehicle, if they pass it?
Think about it, will a passing cyclist cause the vehicle it is passing to move due to air turbulence...
Current bike is a Yamaha T7
Andi_Archer

Post by Andi_Archer »

No but it will cause the vehicle to change speed and direction to avoid hitting the cycle which also contravenes UK guidance
catcitrus

Post by catcitrus »

Cyclists on a busy or narrow road are NOT meant to impede motorised traffic and should ride in single file--highway code! However, riding in single file prompts being overtaken--and 1.5 metres--unlikely! On the other side completely blocking the road--especially slow MAMILs just pis£es people off when a long queue develops.
In Spain I get the feeling that there is one law for tourists and one law for "locals"?
AlanHolt

Post by AlanHolt »

The highway code states you should give way to larger and slower moving vehicles. As a bicycle is smaller, it has priority. When I am driving my van on narrow twisty roads and I find myself following a cyclist, I just slow down until it is clear and safe to pass. If that takes a minute or two, so what.
DavidS

Post by DavidS »

AlanHolt wrote:The highway code states you should give way to larger and slower moving vehicles. As a bicycle is smaller, it has priority. When I am driving my van on narrow twisty roads and I find myself following a cyclist, I just slow down until it is clear and safe to pass. If that takes a minute or two, so what.
Equally, it is reasonable to expect a cyclist (or tractor / dozy old git etc - there's a match for you) to aid the overtaking of the vehicle behind by not making life difficult to pass.

What about the cycling club train of 10 bikes too close together overtake but having a slow ride and a chat?

What about the cyclist who swings out past every scratch and piece of paper in the road - where does the 1.5m rule come on in that situation.
Plus, on many UK roads, allowing 1.5m outside a cyclist means you are probably more vulnerable than they are!! Responsibilities should be equal on both parties.

Anyway, when did we see a traffic police car in this country except in a cafe car park.
2023 Husqvarna Norden 901
2014 KTM 690 ENDURO R
ollydog

Post by ollydog »

Oop North John wrote:
Richard Simpson Mark II wrote:Police in UK are now fining drivers if they pass cyclists closer than 1.5 metres.

http://www.cyclingweekly.com/news/lates ... ist-341083
Are cyclist's expected to keep 1.5m from a vehicle, if they pass it?
only when they are jumping red lights, bouncing up the kerbs to get around lights or filtering in tight traffic whilst having a rest on the car wing,

yet to see a cyclist doing a life saver, they really count on us looking out for them never the other way around

on the whole

steve
AlanHolt

Post by AlanHolt »

DavidS wrote:
AlanHolt wrote:The highway code states you should give way to larger and slower moving vehicles. As a bicycle is smaller, it has priority. When I am driving my van on narrow twisty roads and I find myself following a cyclist, I just slow down until it is clear and safe to pass. If that takes a minute or two, so what.
Equally, it is reasonable to expect a cyclist (or tractor / dozy old git etc - there's a match for you) to aid the overtaking of the vehicle behind by not making life difficult to pass.

What about the cycling club train of 10 bikes too close together overtake but having a slow ride and a chat?

What about the cyclist who swings out past every scratch and piece of paper in the road - where does the 1.5m rule come on in that situation.
Plus, on many UK roads, allowing 1.5m outside a cyclist means you are probably more vulnerable than they are!! Responsibilities should be equal on both parties.

Anyway, when did we see a traffic police car in this country except in a cafe car park.
A group of 10 fit cyclists will occupy less of the road and will travel faster than a large tractor and trailer. The idea is not to squeeze past because you think it will make you late, it is that you slow down and wait for a safe place to pass at a safe distance. By leaving 1.5m, you are allowing for a cyclist dodging potholes, drain covers etc. Over here, it is legal for cyclists to ride two abreast, as this stops cars squeezing through. You do not have priority in your metal cage, get over it.
Gedge

Post by Gedge »

AlanHolt wrote:Given that most bikes are around 1m wide, its safe to assume that the gap needs to be sufficient for another bike to squeeze inbetween.

There was also mention of not crossing the white line. Maybe Simon can clarify the situation here, but in the UK, no part of you or the motorbike should cross a solid white line, not just your tyres. So if your elbow extends over the white line, you have effectively crossed it.
Its based upon the wheels otherwise every abnormal load and HGV would be breaking the law with their overhang..The offence is to cross (ie be on the wrong side of the lines ) or to straddle the white line ( ie the outer wheel or part of the vehicle is over the line but not the whole vehicle ).
Agent Orange

Post by Agent Orange »

What was the original post about :whistle:
DavidS

Post by DavidS »

AlanHolt wrote:
DavidS wrote:

A group of 10 fit cyclists will occupy less of the road and will travel faster than a large tractor and trailer. The idea is not to squeeze past because you think it will make you late, it is that you slow down and wait for a safe place to pass at a safe distance. By leaving 1.5m, you are allowing for a cyclist dodging potholes, drain covers etc. Over here, it is legal for cyclists to ride two abreast, as this stops cars squeezing through. You do not have priority in your metal cage, get over it.
I think cyclists in Spain must have a different attitude to those in SE England and you have a lot less traffic.
I also suspect we have rather more cyclists clogging up the roads on a Sunday morning.
I'm not claiming priority, far from it, but I do expect other road users to have some modicum of intelligence and respect for other users. If we are on holiday mode in the car or have the bike on the trailer, we will pull over to let following traffic go past. Common decency.
10 bikes in a line can take up 50m but still not leave room for a safe overtake. It's frequent to see 100m+ queues behind one cyclist round here.

Bring in compulsory registration and third party insurance for cyclists and horse riders and things might improve. Add in no undercutting, compulsory helmets and daytime flashing lights and police it properly (like the seatbelt and phone laws :( )
I am more than happy for cyclists to use the road but if they took a bit of responsibility for their actions, it might gain them more respect from other road users.

And while I'm ranting...you're not on the Tour de France with loads of cleaners around so stop chucking your rubbish into the hedges or verges!!!

Are we on page 4 yet? :)
2023 Husqvarna Norden 901
2014 KTM 690 ENDURO R

Return to “TRAVEL”