Filtering in Spain - the terrible truth!

The black art of moving from A to B on foreign soil
Simon_100

Filtering in Spain - the terrible truth!

Post by Simon_100 »

From WillS's recent experience

You can overtake - or filter if you like - as long as you don't cross the solid white line. BUT you must leave a 1.5 metre gap between yourself and the vehicle you are overtaking - NB that is from your outermost extremity (don't forget your panniers!) and that of the vehicle - a real bummer with a caravan towing car with mirror extensions ...

Here's the rule:

"85.5. El conductor de un vehículo de dos ruedas que pretenda adelantar fuera de poblado a otro cualquiera lo hará de forma que entre aquél y las partes más salientes del vehículo que adelanta quede un espacio no inferior a 1,50 metros."

And in 'Google' English:

"85.5. The driver of a two-wheeled vehicle that intends to pass out of town to another person* shall do so in such a way that between the one and the most prominent parts of the vehicle that advances**, there is a space of not less than 1.50 metres."

* that's a bad translation for overtake
** that's an equally bad translation of a word that is more commonly used

The rule is specific to two wheeled vehicles so I presume cars can cut you up with alacrity - they certainly do it to me often enough ...

Interesting that the rule specified out of town locations, i.e. the highway. I wonder if municipalities have their own by-laws?

Regs

Simon

PS Will describes being fined €100 each but in fact the fine is €200 but because they had a credit card machine in the pannier they got the 50% discount for early payment- So all those Urban Myth stories of being frog marched by enraged Guardia Civil to the nearest ATM to cough up the cash usually mean they're trying to help you ...
Be sure to visit www.thespanishbiker.com the invaluable guide to motorcycling in Spain - plus guided rides, HISS Events* and off road touring support service

*Highly Informal Sojourns in Spain
SteveW

Re: Filtering in Spain - the terrible truth!

Post by SteveW »

I'm a total numpty regarding British law, but I'd say we wouldn't have a similar law over here.
How can a policeman accurately judge 1500mm? It's impossible.
My guess would be the "offence" would need to be photographed and the passing distance scaled from the photograph.
AlanHolt

Post by AlanHolt »

Given that most bikes are around 1m wide, its safe to assume that the gap needs to be sufficient for another bike to squeeze inbetween.
There was also mention of not crossing the white line. Maybe Simon can clarify the situation here, but in the UK, no part of you or the motorbike should cross a solid white line, not just your tyres. So if your elbow extends over the white line, you have effectively crossed it.
Current bike is a Yamaha T7
MHsnowy

Post by MHsnowy »

I got done for this last year in the Pyrenees near Barbastro (Near Lleida)
The car in front pulled over to allow me to pass without crossing the solid white line, which I did.
When I got pulled up for it he originally said I crossed the white line which is a 200 euro fine. I disagreed with him and explained that I didn't cross the white line as the car moved over to allow me to pass.
He then changed it to a 40 euro fine for overtaking and not allowing 1.5 metres between me and the car.
His machine wasn't working so I had to sit in his van for an hour until he got it to work to pay the fine by card. He would not accept cash. I offered to pay in cash so I could get on my way quicker but he said they were not allowed. Card payments only.
At the time I thought he had made it up. I was happy to pay the 40 euros after it was dropped from 200 euros.
Richard Simpson Mark II

Post by Richard Simpson Mark II »

Police in UK are now fining drivers if they pass cyclists closer than 1.5 metres.
http://www.cyclingweekly.com/news/lates ... ist-341083
SteveW

Post by SteveW »

Good, as a cyclist I often think vehicles pass too close.
Sometimes the condition of the road surface, with drain covers and grids, especially at the edges, will cause a cyclist to move towards the the middle of the road to avoid these hazards.
lmac

Post by lmac »

I got a 100 euro fine in Spain two years ago for crossing a white line. Seems maybe I got off with half a fine. They'd only accept cash in our case.
Oop North John

Post by Oop North John »

Richard Simpson Mark II wrote:Police in UK are now fining drivers if they pass cyclists closer than 1.5 metres.

http://www.cyclingweekly.com/news/lates ... ist-341083
Are cyclist's expected to keep 1.5m from a vehicle, if they pass it?
Andi_Archer

Post by Andi_Archer »

SteveW wrote:Good, as a cyclist I often think vehicles pass too close.
Yes many ,do I usually cross to the centre line where possible to give the bikes plenty of room.That said I like a similar fine for cyclists who intentionally put themselves in harms way by squeezing inbetween curb and vehicles at junctions.
Tonibe63

Post by Tonibe63 »

Roll on Page 4 :evil:
Open your eyes and you see what is in front of you, open your mind and you see a bigger picture but open your heart and you see a whole new World.

Return to “TRAVEL”