Nordkapp rturn

The black art of moving from A to B on foreign soil
Spike941

Re: Nordkapp rturn

Post by Spike941 »

Has the weather not put you off going back? Especially as you're contemplating camping. I did the Nordkapp and Lofoten trip last June/July. My usual riding buddy refused to go, sighting the weather as one of the many reasons not to go. I therefore went on my own. I took two sets of waterproof, camped and filled one pannier with food. Thankfully I didn't need any waterproofs, and while the Cotswolds were shivering in 18c, I was basking in 26.5c in Alta. Unusually lucky I agree, but would I want to push my luck and go again? Possibly, but not sure I'd enjoy 3c and driving rain quite so much.
Bartty

Post by Bartty »

I had a couple of days where the intensity of the rain breached my Rukka's, but that only lasted for less than half a day or so at a time. The worst of it was in Denmark on the home leg, where it had apparently rained for a week. However part of the breaching was my own fault as I had misplaced the Gore-tex neck cuff on a previous trip and took instead a couple from an older jacket. The things eventually rode up allowing rain down my neck. Not much, but enough to curse myself.
The 3C temperature was on a high altitude pass, but don't think I saw 26C, although the three days I spent on the Lofoten islands were memorable for the cloudless deep blue sky that was ever present.
To be honest, the camping thing is a bit of bravado on my part, it may happen? I'll see how it goes in Spain first.
When I did get wet, I knew there was a 3/4 star hotel waiting and the Scandic hotel chain I used (for around half of the stops), had heated floors in the bathrooms. So always guaranteed a dry start.
I thought of using the small wooden cabins that you must have seen on camp sites, but was told by a fellow biker that they are expensive, if you are solo. I was shown a receipt by an Italian couple for one night at Kr1200. They were mildly peed off when I showed them a receipt for Kr650 in Kristinsund, with views and breakfast.
Spike941

Post by Spike941 »

Yep, Kr100 to Kr200 for a tent, Kr400 for a cabin without a loo or water, and Kr800 for one with. All campsites had good shower blocks, kitchen facilities and wifi. If I go again, I'll be camping, but of course could live to regret that decision.
qcnr

Post by qcnr »

Wild camping is free in Norway and perfectly legal B)
Also another tip is to travel N through Sweden and S along the
coast of Norway. The E6 is best avaoided, and if you think the
landscape is spectacular you missed the best part if you didn't
travel down the west coast (Hordaland, Rogaland) taking in such places
as Lysebotn, Pulpit rock, Kjerag and of course the fjords :woohoo:
Bartty

Post by Bartty »

I avoided the E6 for most of the journey north, but had to submit to it between Trondheim and Mo I Rana. I regret not taking more of Route 17 to Bodo and not just picking it up West of Mo I Rana. Heading South I stuck to it all the way back to Trondheim apart from two stints off-piste, which although un-planned were good fun. From Trondheim, I went to Aleusund and pretty much zig-zagged south from there, through the major fjords, Dalsnibba, Hordaland, Bergen, coast road to Kristinsand, but never made it to Preskestolen.

I'm putting some ideas down on a return trip which includes heading up through Finland to Kirkenes, then taking a similar route when heading north this year to head south, but using more of the coast road and of course more of the Lofoton Islands. Finally want to spend more time in the south of Norway.

Not sure whether to start from Helsinki via Stockholm, or up through Poland to Estonia? Has anyone any experience with these country's?
Norrie77

Post by Norrie77 »

Bartty

There is lad Brian Jones on You Tube he has a series of videos of his Nordkapp trip via Poland Estonia etc give him a shout he will more than likely be glad to help out

Norrie
0 - 60 in as long as it takes

Return to “TRAVEL”