Things to see, roads to travel in Balkans, suggestions please.

The black art of moving from A to B on foreign soil
SteveW

Things to see, roads to travel in Balkans, suggestions please.

Post by SteveW »

I waved bye-bye to my CCM GP450s yesterday.
A Bulgarian friend has bought a van over here and he's taking it to Bulgaria for his father, he's taken my CCM in the van and he's dropping the bike off at our house out there.
26th August me and Mrs W are flying out, she's flying back on the 1st September and I'm setting off back to Lancashire on the CCM.
I've ridden/driven to Bulgaria loads of time on many different routes.
This time I'm making use of the CCM's strong points and keeping off the main routes and motorways/autobahns.
Rather like catcitrus did on his 250 recently.
I'll be heading south from our place in northeastern Bulgaria, heading through southern Bulgaria and crossing into Macedonia, Northern Albania, Montenegro, Bosnia, Croatia, Slovenia, Austria, Across Southern Germany and into France somewhere near Mulhouse, then up through France....as rural as possible to the channel.
I packed my bike yesterday, with my camping gear, then just thought "No" it was just too loaded. I want to make the best of the CCM's nimbleness and travel light. So I ditched the camping gear.....its hotels/bunkhouses/huts, whatever but no camping.
Unusually for me I'll be investing in a little planning for this trip, rather than totally none at all, other than a vague idea of a route in my head.
So I'll be appreciative of any suggestions regarding Roads/routes to travel, sights to see, places to stay etc....
minkyhead

Re: Things to see, roads to travel in Balkans, suggestions please.

Post by minkyhead »

hi steve i have the tet route on gpx and loisduts rather good route day by day on gpx ....id highly recomend taking in the theth trail in northern aalbania ..allow 8 to 10 hours .. for the loop me dave and scott are flying out thursday so ill probably be better placed to help ...were doing greece albania and monternegro (thumbs) theth .....
whats the wether forcast ..wheres me map
RichP

Post by RichP »

Hi I'm really interested in this as well. Four of us will be shipping bikes to Bulgaria in September and riding back to the UK using as many trails as we can for 10 days then dropping onto roads for the last 4 days to get back home. Quite fancy trying to use parts of the Trans European Trail but I'm not sure when the route will go live.
PHILinFRANCE

Post by PHILinFRANCE »

Lucky bugger ............have a good one mate (thumbs)
nethen1

Post by nethen1 »

RichP wrote:Hi I'm really interested in this as well. Four of us will be shipping bikes to Bulgaria in September and riding back to the UK using as many trails as we can for 10 days then dropping onto roads for the last 4 days to get back home. Quite fancy trying to use parts of the Trans European Trail but I'm not sure when the route will go live.
The route me and Minky have to the TET is huge and covers loads in that area.... just do it !! :)
Are we stoppin for a brew !

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCHnqi2JsFoNCV6ktRGEOVXQ/playlists

Braaaaaaaaaaaaaappppppppp :)
bfgjohno

Post by bfgjohno »

SteveW - I think the TET will be just the medicine! It'll be out soon as we can.

In the mean time can I ask you to read my post here: TET update and TET team plea

You're set for a great adventure - even if the bike's not orange B) !
diggermanbob

Post by diggermanbob »

Sounds like a great trip Steve , it will be a good test for the CCM (thumbs)
oldoak

Post by oldoak »

Jajce NW of Sarajevo is a lovely place. there is a great hotel in centre of town about £20 a night for very good quality when I was there 4 years ago. all around there are brilliant tracks and tarmac roads through the mountains and hills. Secenry is fantastic and people are really welcoming.
Lots of history in the town too, Tito's caves and the castle on top of the hill is amazing. a bloke will spot you walking up to it and open it up for a few KM. Waterfall in middle of town is rather spectacular as well!
Have a great trip!

Return to “TRAVEL”