EDC Yamaha XT660Z Ténéré: Moto travel/prep' tips that work for me.

The black art of moving from A to B on foreign soil
WIBO

Re: Yamaha XT660Z Ténéré: Moto travel prepping tips that work for me.

Post by WIBO »

crofty wrote:Thanks RandG
Keith have you any close up pictures of the mod to the rectifier plug, I am going to split mine to check it and then whats the best stuff to put in there before I connect it up ?
All I did was I took off the regulator plug and made sure the plug was clipped home properly. Apparently the first motos came out of the factory without the plug clipped home resulting in arcing and zapping of the regulator...apparently.

I used electrical grease and covered the connection with a section of bicycle tube using zip ty's to keep it tight onto the exiting cable.

:)

Will It Buff Out?
WIBO

Post by WIBO »

cozi70 wrote:
cowling wrote: I can't source the glue on alloy pad

https://www.ajsutton.co.uk/product/yama ... ctor?uid=0

Only £28 :ohmy:

Thanks for all the good tips also.

Yamaha...(et al)....with things like this,need hit on the back of the head as hard as you can swing it,with a long-tail shovel......twice.

Incredible in the true sense of the word when I see this kind of ludicrous pricing.
Will It Buff Out?
WIBO

Post by WIBO »

I have a second hand Touratwat rear carrier bought for €30. I use this for attaching 4 bottles of water when I'm in Maroc/Europe. I only use it for that. On my last ride to Maroc it was used to take a bag of small Land Rover parts to a contact I have there.

If I was to buy new I'd buy one of Aliwakskates carriers, as with the one I have ,I find it limited to where and how one can thread straps through.

If I had a top box I'd fill it with stuff I don't need. Obviously I can go on a long ride out with just two side panniers holding all I need. But that's just me.

http://www.altechdesigns.co.uk/

Last edited by WIBO on Mon Apr 09, 2018 2:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Will It Buff Out?
WIBO

Post by WIBO »

Both side covers of air box on the XT need to be removed routinely,cleaned and a seam of grease laid along where the mating surface join is. This will stop the ingress of dust directly into the engine cylinder as the seal is poor.

Make sure your cam chain wheel cover is nipped up. I was lucky after I checked to find that there was just the start of fine dust ingress. Any longer the dust would've migrated further past the o ring.

Maroc WILL find any weakness without a shadow of a doubt :laugh:

Will It Buff Out?
WIBO

Re: Yamaha XT660Z Ténéré: Moto travel/prepping tips that work for me.

Post by WIBO »

Rear cush drive rubbers are of poor quality..the one and only new ones I bought(Off the Road ones) to try only lasted 5000kms.

For the last 60,000kms I use this method,i.e. inner tube cut to take up the play...either standard thickness x1 or x2 or 4mm Heavy Duty tube depending on wear.

et voila...

Talking of wear.... check the wiring loom as in the pictures.....it can rub through with vibrations resulting in zapping the wiring loom leading to a full loom replacement. Pack it with something like a piece of foam etc.

Will It Buff Out?
Trev

Post by Trev »

Loving this thread even though I haven't got a Tenere or crossing a desert, exactly the type of thing this forum is great at, thanks for posting (thumbs)
RandG

Post by RandG »

Just on the cush drive rubbers. I replaced my rubbers recently and couldn't get the rear wheel back on due to not being able to get the hub right in, so I will probably wait on some wear before I attempt again.
WIBO

Post by WIBO »

RandG wrote:Just on the cush drive rubbers. I replaced my rubbers recently and couldn't get the rear wheel back on due to not being able to get the hub right in, so I will probably wait on some wear before I attempt again.

Aft'noon

Were the rubbers too big? OTR ones? Mine fitted OK if they were..just didn't last.....I presume you stood on the hub to see if it squeezed in?

Try the inner tube idea?

Will It Buff Out?
WIBO

Post by WIBO »

Decathlon Bi Twin padded cycle bag is in ideal case for my Montana GPS. I ordered my GPS from Califonia...€324 as far as I can recall. Completed the order on Tuesday night and it arrived Thursday lunchtime.

Garmin maps are so,so poor for off road so I install free Open Street Map. I use this in conjunction with wikiloc.com to download trails....you'll find heaps in Spain and Portugal as well as Maroc. Just type in a region where you want to ride and see if there's any there.

The RAM comes with a locking torx tool that fits on your key ring. It charges the GPS as you ride.

Fit ideally on the XT...your eyes don't need to glance down too far from the road.

There's a rubber cover to keep the charge contacts weatherproof.

A lanyard is needed in case of the GPS clipping off the mount when off roading after I fall off. especially needed if it soft sandy going. The GPS can drop off and disappear.

The Montana sometimes turns itself off due to the battery vibrating so an ear plug against the battery assists.

Last edited by WIBO on Mon Apr 09, 2018 2:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Will It Buff Out?
WIBO

Post by WIBO »

Whilst sitting in my cheap Chinese copy chair this special tool is at elbow height.

Will It Buff Out?

Return to “TRAVEL”