Calais

The black art of moving from A to B on foreign soil
The Sarge

Re: Calais

Post by The Sarge »

Redmurty wrote:Likewise there seems to be an expectation that we're suddenly going to be a dynamic exporting economy able to negotiate advantageous trade deals around the world when the whole reason why we joined Europe in the first place was because we weren't and we couldn't.

the reason we joined in the first place was because Ted Heath wanted us to, people are saying that the fear factor given out by the "remainers" has not materialised and are now starting to admit it was uncalled for.

Latest figures suggest the service economy who people said would die has in fact increased and things are looking positive. Look at what the deputy German Chancellor is saying. Brexit could be the end of the EU if it is handled badly and then the usual threats of giving us a bad time

cheers Spud ;)
Spud, I can assure you the service industry from my experience is now suffering !
Redmurty

Post by Redmurty »

Look up the documentary "Opium Brides" and see what legacy we left in Afgan

cheers Spud ;)
Life... it's not a dress rehearsal

You don't waste time... you waste yourself
-Ralph-

Post by -Ralph- »

Mawnanian wrote:there is a tendency by some to express possibilities as certainties. Perhaps they're trying to convince themselves, all I can can say is that I'm not convinced but I hope they're right.
You're exactly right. People have to justify their decisions and actions.
"Luke, you're going to find that many of the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view" - Obi-Wan Kenobi
-Ralph-

Post by -Ralph- »

Mike54 wrote:
The Sarge wrote:Once article 50 is invoked (which may be sooner than we first thought if the 1972 committee are ignored) Sangatte will move to Dover, Calais will be a staging post with the French helping all those immigrants to board any vessel just to move the 'British' problem to Britain, and who could blame them ?? You vote for Brexit, this is what you get ! :whistle:

Sarge
No, it won't, and the French President has already made this crystal clear. This is just bullshit right wing propaganda, and total nonsense. The le Touquet accord will remain (google it).
Mike you are right that the Touquet accord is nothing to do with the EU, however Brexit has had an effect on attitudes in France, the current president may not be in power for much longer, and the Touquet accord has a 2 year notice period that can be invoked by either side. So to say "The le Touquet accord will remain" with any certainty, I'd like to know what crystal ball you're looking in.
"Luke, you're going to find that many of the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view" - Obi-Wan Kenobi
moto al

Post by moto al »

Enter through Ireland , show your passport , unfortunately it maybe take an extra 5 mins . So what. At least Ireland .doesn't have an issue . And it's an island . Too be sure (thumbs) .Al
moto al
The Sarge

Post by The Sarge »

Starting Monday 5th there is to be a blockade by French Hauliers !

Sarge

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-37249523
SHarper

Post by SHarper »

I'm supposed to be chunnelling Franceward on Friday.
Does the forum collective think that I'd be better ferrying Newhaven ---> Dieppe?
It takes a bit longer, but avoids Calais and costs slightly less (£178 ferry; £250 Chunnel)(return)
nuttynick

Post by nuttynick »

The delays will be around Calais port, the tunnel is unaffected. I work in France and use it every day ;-) There may be more traffic, but outbound you should be fine. When are you coming back?
SHarper

Post by SHarper »

nuttynick wrote:The delays will be around Calais port, the tunnel is unaffected. I work in France and use it every day ;-) There may be more traffic, but outbound you should be fine. When are you coming back?
Middayish Saturday the 17th
halfpint

Post by halfpint »

I go over friday night just go . they are stopping return traffic so you should be ok.

Return to “TRAVEL”