Scotland N.W. 500

The black art of moving from A to B on foreign soil
Bluebird

Scotland N.W. 500

Post by Bluebird »

Hi Guys
I am sure there are some of you out there who have done this trip, I am hoping to do it soon, any feedback would be appreciated.
Any parts you would miss or add?
In what direction would you do it?
Recommendations for Accommodation would be good.

Thanks in advance.
Lord Vader

Re: Scotland N.W. 500

Post by Lord Vader »

I found this one very usefull as on Sundays it can become a problem to find fuel

Take lots of pics as the scenery is just stunning. We did the ride in June and because we all been up there already we didnt stop very much for pics. Mainly enjoying the stunning roads but i still came back with about 180 pics :woohoo:

I dont need a MP3 player on my bike.The voices in my head sing to me all the time
sprintster

Post by sprintster »

I was just thinking about this the other day.You could do it in two fairly long days or if you have the time I would turn it into the NC600 and spend three or four days on it.From Inverness head down Loch Ness (down the east side is probably better in summer) before heading towards Kyle of Lochalsh at Invermorriston,turning off for Strathcarron after Eillan Donan castle.IMO a much better road and scenery than the Inverness to Strathcarron stretch of the NC500 which from Garve is only really fun at three figure speeds and one of the few places you'll find police lying in wait.
I've never had a problem finding petrol on a Sunday.Nearly everywhere will take a credit card at the pump if the shop is closed.
The Park House B&B in Lochinver do a gut busting breakfast!
www.parkhouse-lochinver.co.uk
Doing it anti-clockwise will build you up to the dramatic scenery but it's a great ride in either direction. (thumbs)
ollydog

Post by ollydog »

come on gents answer the man, if i can talk jan out of going to cornwall in a weeks time we will be doing this in the camper and wild camping as much as we can

steve
Pappy

Post by Pappy »

We did it in march
Really enjoyed it
We went anti clockwise spreading first night in John o groats
In all we did it it 4 nights great times were add
Apple cross is good but just be careful
sprintster

Post by sprintster »

ollydog wrote:come on gents answer the man, if i can talk jan out of going to cornwall in a weeks time we will be doing this in the camper and wild camping as much as we can

steve
No brainer! Quiet roads or traffic jams.Crowed beaches or deserted?
If she still needs convincing show her the Facebook page "Scotland from the Roadside" (thumbs)
crofty

Post by crofty »

I have done it a few times and a favourite way of mine is to stay in the Shearings Hotel in Strathpeffer. 3 nights dinner bed and breakfast for 110 quid. Do the eastern loop Wick/Bettyhill/Lairg one day (250 miles) retrace your steps to Lairg by a different route the next day to do Bettyhill/Tounge/Durness/Ullapool and back to Strathpeffer (another 250 if you do the road of destitution by Lochinver) day 3 across to Braemore Jct round the coast to Poolewe and Torridon for the Applecross pass and then over to Strathcarron for the return to Strathpeffer. You do it without luggage and return to a nice evening meal everynight without the hassle of looking for accommodation every night.
johnnyboxer

Post by johnnyboxer »

crofty wrote:I have done it a few times and a favourite way of mine is to stay in the Shearings Hotel in Strathpeffer. 3 nights dinner bed and breakfast for 110 quid. Do the eastern loop Wick/Bettyhill/Lairg one day (250 miles) retrace your steps to Lairg by a different route the next day to do Bettyhill/Tounge/Durness/Ullapool and back to Strathpeffer (another 250 if you do the road of destitution by Lochinver) day 3 across to Braemore Jct round the coast to Poolewe and Torridon for the Applecross pass and then over to Strathcarron for the return to Strathpeffer. You do it without luggage and return to a nice evening meal everynight without the hassle of looking for accommodation every night.
Good advice

I have done the whole of it, a few times in all directions................before it became the NW500 and gained popularity - now it's probably been killed by over popularity :whistle:
We buy things we don't need

With money we don't have

To impress people we don't even like
Bluebird

Post by Bluebird »

Thanks for the feedback guys, some useful info in there. Please keep it coming.
Cheers
TomBoyNI

Post by TomBoyNI »

I done it a fortnight ago.

Did it in 2 days, went clockwise.

Started Inverness, cut across to the west coast, finishing in Scourie for the evening. Then didnScourie back to Inverness on day 2. It is great. Apple cross is outstanding. The west coast and north coast is unreal, absolutely gorgeous scenery. The east coast is basically a big A class road from John O'Groats back to Inverness.

It's just ok. If I was doing it again I'd go to John O'Groats then go back the way I came.

However it's worth doing the full route. You'll enjoy it.

Download the route though as it isn't marked in any way.
Boo :-p

https://tbni.blog
Motorcycling | Technology | Photography

Return to “TRAVEL”