api details.......?

The black art of moving from A to B on foreign soil
Tramp

api details.......?

Post by Tramp »

how do folks..
anyone traveled recently on ferry or the tunnel and not bothered /hassled into giving their Api details....

we travel 3 times a year and its getting a major hassle ....bloddy terrorist dont bother :evil:
Spike941

Re: api details.......?

Post by Spike941 »

My understanding is that you don't need to supply API when leaving the UK by ferry or the tunnel, only when flying. Unless it's changed in the last few weeks?
Milo Tighfield

Post by Milo Tighfield »

As above. No problem with ferries, thought it was just airlines, just returned from France last week, no hassle at all :)
Philiptigerrice

Post by Philiptigerrice »

+1 for getting sick of flying.

Delays are worse by a long way - customer service is shocking - and the "cheap" tickets are a total falsehood. I used to have a choice of whether to fly with Flybe or BMI - except the quite clearly did a little deal to tidy their routes up - and remove competition from each other, meaning my route was left with Flybe only - and the price almost doubled overnight. :dry:

I was buying 20 flights a year to get to work - but choose to commute the 400 miles on my GS now instead!! (thumbs)

Once you take out an hour to get too the airport, an hour's pre-arrival, 45 minutes in the security queue, an hour of looking for somewhere to sit in the departure lounges, an hours flight, an hours waiting on your bags and an hour getting from the airport to my destination.... Thats before you add in the delays..

Its quicker by bike!!! :P
Greater Manchester
R1200 GS Adv ('08)
SteveR

Post by SteveR »

Regs state airlines only for some Countries, but it seems to have become a default requirement for all flights.

I have become increasingly unhappy about the whole flying business with 3rd rate levels of staff manning etc requiring increased check in times etc...
Redmurty

Post by Redmurty »

I get turned over at passport control every time I travel, so it's routine now for me :pinch: no one will tell me why I get questioned/stopped :whistle:

cheers Spud ;)
Life... it's not a dress rehearsal

You don't waste time... you waste yourself
zimtim

Post by zimtim »

Redmurty wrote:I get turned over at passport control every time I travel, so it's routine now for me :pinch: no one will tell me why I get questioned/stopped :whistle:

cheers Spud ;)
You must look really shifty :whistle:
or you walk like you have a couple of kilos of crack up your jacksie :whistle:
Scott_rider

Post by Scott_rider »

We travelled on the eurotunnel in the first week of June this year and we all did our API online when we booked a few weeks earlier.

There was no hassle at the terminal check-in...BUT what we did notice was the complete lack of security :ohmy: compared to previous years. Maybe it was just a bad day for them?

Last year, all of our bikes were checked over with that magic wand thingy...this year, once we'd gone through British passport control there were no checks whatsoever, we were just waived through. And secondly, the French border control, who is based a few hundred metres away from the British control, didn't check a single passport or a single car in the entire line of vehicles that we were in.

We all commented on how odd that was :ohmy:
Suzuki GSX-S1000F...the KTM 450 EXC-R has gone
nevsey

api details.......?

Post by nevsey »

Since March 2015, exit and entry checks ie api. Now includes the ferries and trains as well as air travel. The companies have to supply the data. That's why you may well get hassles if the details are not supplied. But I have noticed they seem to be targeting bikes more. Recently at Portsmouth they went over every bike.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk
benp1992

Post by benp1992 »

So I have crossed the channel on the train about 4/5 times this year. And forgot to put my API in on one occasion. so when i checked in i wasn't issued with a boarding hanger and had to go into the terminal for them to add my API onto my booking before i could actually leave the country.

Return to “TRAVEL”