Ferry v Tunnel

The black art of moving from A to B on foreign soil
Peirre

Re: Ferry v Tunnel

Post by Peirre »

All we need now (for the northerners) is a regular ferry from the north to Spain (thumbs)
Billy Bananahead

Post by Billy Bananahead »

herman wrote:Brittany ferries prices are escalating though as there is no real competition left. The wife is taking a small sports car over next week and it is £360 with our 30% discount :(
Tell me about it. £550 return Portsmouth to Caen with Transit van and cabins both ways.
But were going to Auvergne, heading from Cheshire, and I've been Folkestone/Calais and the time/distance is a pain in the arse but the price this year was a bit of a shock.
The two gites we've booked are coming out cheaper than the ferry.
On the news this morning they're saying up to 12 hour delays at Dover :ohmy:
moto al

Post by moto al »

Hi yesterday ,I contacted dfds , they run a freight ferry from rosyth to zebbruge , unfortunately they don't take bikes .vans are commercial (thumbs) . As Iv said sometimes you have to think out the box .Al.
moto al
lancashirelad

Post by lancashirelad »

We used to do a few trips a year on DFDS Dover-Dunkirk with the MG Car Club one guy used to make a 10 return multi trip booking then you can split the bookings between you they have to be used during 12 months worked out about £38 per car for a return journey there was a supplement for peak times but it was still way cheaper.
Whoever books it has to ring DFDS & give names of the nominated people to alter the bookings but it worked well.
***just like Britney Spears oops I did it again……sold the Scrambler & as of now there may not be a replacement***
The Sarge

Post by The Sarge »

For what worth, it's the time of year that hike the prices of the ferries, I am on my 6 crossing so far this year and was crossing in the van from Plymouth to Roscoff before the silly season for £300 return with free day cabins, 10% discount in the restaurants and free breakfasts on overnight crossing to the value of £7.90, how you may ask ???

Well in the old days to qualify you had to show proof of propert ownership to get Brittany Ferries Property Owners membership, but now for an annual fee of £75 you can join Club Voyage and benefit from all of the above, it gives you an automatic 30% discount on your booking, which can be shared with friends and relatives. So if you do the maths on your booking, take the 30% of and it comes to more than £75 it's worth a punt in joining !!

Bon voyage

Sarge
moto al

Post by moto al »

My ferry ,overnight Dublin Cherbourg ,return 190euro . Glasgow Dublin 200 miles , cairnryne Belfast £40. Not bad eh.Al (thumbs)
moto al
Spike941

Post by Spike941 »

My trip to Norway last month, booked one way ticket from Harwich to Hook of Holland ( on the bike, and I live in Gloucestershire) £49. Coming back (2 weeks ago) I looked at my options 2 days before my return. Hook of Holland back to Harwich £79, but afternoon sailing meaning I wouldn't get home until 3am the following morning, or push on down to Calais and £50 on the eurotunnel, and getting back at 7.30pm that evening. Downside being it was a 650 mile slog, but cheaper and quicker. I went via Calais.
Peirre

Post by Peirre »

The Sarge wrote:take the 30% of and it comes to more than £75 it's worth a punt in joining !!
My mate has let me copy his code saving me £75 (thumbs)
akceller8

Post by akceller8 »

As Old Geezer has said, if anyone is looking for a bed and bike storage for the night in Folkestone just PM either of us.
I feel your pain about the journey too Folkestone as it took me 5hrs to get to the Midlands ABR Rally and about the same to return.
Don't stop me now, I'm having such a good time!!
gspod

Post by gspod »

moto al wrote:My ferry ,overnight Dublin Cherbourg

That's cheap - don't suppose it includes a cabin?

If the ferries are cheap then Ireland is looking like (to me) an increasingly tempting place to live

Return to “TRAVEL”