ADAC - A Cautionary Tale

The black art of moving from A to B on foreign soil
dave j

Re: ADAC - A Cautionary Tale

Post by dave j »

Glad you're ok Mike - that sounds like an ordeal. Pleased Marc could sort you out.
KTM 1290 Super Adventure T - Power!
KTM 690 Enduro R - lighter to pick up
Husqvarna Svartpilen 401 - Fun.

Even our dogs are orange.

Only bikers understand why dogs put their heads out of car windows.
-Ralph-

ADAC - A Cautionary Tale

Post by -Ralph- »

I've said this about breakdown cover before. People make recommendations and ADAC is one of the favourites on this forum, but it's all bullshit because who ever uses them enough to find out if their good service was good luck from a crap company, or whether their bad service was a one off screw up from a good company?

In addition to that most are just selling an insurance policy, and contract a local agent to come to your rescue, they don't have their own fleet of vehicles and staff like the RAC, or AA in the UK, and even they use agents if one of their own vehicles can't get to you. So even if te call centre is excellent, the rest of the service is only as good as the local agent.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk
"Luke, you're going to find that many of the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view" - Obi-Wan Kenobi
-Ralph-

Post by -Ralph- »

Mike54 wrote:AA, RAC etc, they all use local agents in addition to their own people. Also if you're in Europe and have full AA cover, an AA van doesnt show up does it? It's the local agent they use from round the corner.
I assume you were replying to my post. If you weren't I agree. If you were, go read my post again, because that's exactly what I said.
"Luke, you're going to find that many of the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view" - Obi-Wan Kenobi
-Ralph-

Post by -Ralph- »

sprintster wrote:Surely if a local agent keeps getting complaints the breakdown company will pull the plug on them to save their reputation. :unsure: I've said before I've called out Autoaid (in the UK) about 7 times now and the service has always been excellent.
I saw an AA van in the south of France yesterday that I thought was a bit odd.
You'd hope so, but how many people actually complain? If it's a shit company will they care.

Might look at Autoaid, because if you've called them out 7 times and its all been good that's probably the best endorsement anyone can get. I don't want your luck when it comes to breakdowns though!! I'd use that as evidence that I needed either a new bike or a full rebuild.
minkyhead

Post by minkyhead »

wow that is absalutly rubbish ..im guessing that most cover relies on local sub contractors to a point ..swiss seem to have the fench mentality ..nowt happens at the weekend ..
im glad your ok but when your hurt you just want to get home asap so it double sucks

ive not had the misfortune to need transporting home abroad .but ive been with a couple of guys who have ..one in norway and one in southern ireland ..both had carol nash cover and i was pretty impressed with the way they responded ..wheather that would work i9nswitzerland i dont know

anyway point taken about that shite firm and hope you are well now (thumbs)
whats the wether forcast ..wheres me map
Peirre

Post by Peirre »

Oddly enough you mention CN I've had bad service from carol Nash (aka the AA) while in France in the past. So I guess there will be some aspect of poor service from all the main agents at some point. Then again my experience with CN is why I signed up with adac
ZX Raziel

Post by ZX Raziel »

I am glad that you and yor girl are OK Mick , Some good info here .
When i had my puncture on Sunday two weeks ago phoned the AA about 21.00 , initially i was promised to be picked up , then later they have phoned me that they don't work after 23.00 , in the end private contractor picked me up about 1 in the morning , took another 2 hours to get home , but i guess still better than been stuck for few days in a foreign country :(

( my first puncture ever , so i have learned my lesson now )
sprintster

Post by sprintster »

-Ralph- wrote:
sprintster wrote:Surely if a local agent keeps getting complaints the breakdown company will pull the plug on them to save their reputation. :unsure: I've said before I've called out Autoaid (in the UK) about 7 times now and the service has always been excellent.
I saw an AA van in the south of France yesterday that I thought was a bit odd.
You'd hope so, but how many people actually complain? If it's a shit company will they care.

Might look at Autoaid, because if you've called them out 7 times and its all been good that's probably the best endorsement anyone can get. I don't want your luck when it comes to breakdowns though!! I'd use that as evidence that I needed either a new bike or a full rebuild.
Only two different bikes.Throttle cable snapped on one.Clutch cable on another.Maybe I should invest in a cable oiler! :laugh: And the old Triumph favourite of the clutch sensor wire breaking.All the rest have been in my £500 banger cars. (thumbs)
psmith

Post by psmith »

Just to add my two pennies worth - three months ago, I contacted ADAC, having heard good reports on various forums. I enquired how much their best product costs, & what it covers. I subsequently received a letter in German, which appeared to show that I was now a member & owed them 88 Euros. I wrote to them (in English & German!) explaining that they had misunderstood my request. Today, 10 days later I received a letter, again in German, which appears to be a final demand. What now?
minkyhead

Post by minkyhead »

invade poland ..thats what they did :evil:
whats the wether forcast ..wheres me map

Return to “TRAVEL”