Can my son ride a bike in Thailand?

The black art of moving from A to B on foreign soil
Bonniebird

Can my son ride a bike in Thailand?

Post by Bonniebird »

Does anyone know if my 17 yr old son can hire a bike in Thailand if he hasn't past his test only his CBT?
Cheers
Laura
Francis Begbie

Re: Can my son ride a bike in Thailand?

Post by Francis Begbie »

I'm pretty sure anyone can hire a bike in thailand regardless of if they've ever been on one before or have a license.
giffo

Post by giffo »

yes he should be able to hire a bike in thailand but may have to leave his passport as security
( unwise).
be aware that dying by motor bike accident is the number one leading cause of deaths for Britons visiting Thailand.
if he has to hire a bike try to make sure it is a scooter and not some 900 cc rocket
coddy

Post by coddy »

Hi laura

I Hired a 125 scooter a couple of years ago in thai, didnt have a bike licence then just a car license but didnt have to show it,if he asks at the place hes staying b+b/hotel they will organize bike for him they will want to see his passport anyway, better them have it than some dodgy back street rental,,,we were in kho samui and then in phuket,scoots were first class brand new 125,s and realy cheap rates,what a way to see the place even though it was only on scooters.
giffo

Post by giffo »

one thing to remember hiring a bike. if you have an accident , being a foreigner you are automatically in the wrong and dont expect any help from the Police.
off topic but relevant for a 17 year old. dont hire jet skis in either Pattaya or Phuket
loads of scams, google jet ski scams thailand.
Elle

Post by Elle »

Your son could get away with not having a licence but I would suggest he needs to be fairly experienced and fearless.
The Thai's have 1 rule: "there are no rules"

A truck will flash their lights & pull out to overtake - irrelevant of whether there is space on the road. Everyone else just gets out of the way.
There are no lane rules - drivers overtake on the left and right and they drive on the opposite side of the road too
At traffic lights, riders will line up in front of all the cars but then it's just a mad rush ahead on Green. You find yourself in competition with bikes, tuk tuks, carts, cars, trucks and buses.

But once you get beyond the city limits, all you'll encounter is peace, tranquility, friendly, happy people and stunning scenery.
living an ordinary life in a non-ordinary way
Selous

Post by Selous »

I would not want any of my riding bikes, unqualified, that is not the best place to go riding when not experianced.
Also if my any of my children, did have a accident & killed a another person or worst himself, I would forever feel guilty.

No matter how safe he may say he will ride.

We are the Pilgrims, master; we shall go Always a little further: it may be Beyond that last blue mountain barred with snow, Across that angry or that glimmering sea.

Artificers Masonic Motorcycle Association

http://www.amma-uk.com
mr.adi

Post by mr.adi »

Hi Bonnie,
i would advise your son against hiring a bike if he's going to stay in the capital i.e bangkok simply because it's just too dangerous for a foreigner to do so. i cannot agree with Elle that there's no rule for road users in thailand, it's just the way people drive/ride there. ignoring the rules, and getting away with it, is more like it. that being said, your son not having a valid driving license ( South-east asian countries require you to have an international driving license endorsed by our road transport department - United Kingdom license would be ok ) would potentially be something that they would use against him should any problem arises, like accident etc.
of course it's not that bad here in this part of the world, you just have to know what you need to know. your son should hire a bike from a licensed bike-renting company, read and reread the small prints of any documents he sign and do not, do not at any time, take the agent's words 100%. check with the company, better if you ask your travel agent there in UK to confirm/ book the bike before you come here. it'll be a bit pricey, of course, but the security and peace of mind is invaluable.
final words from me, do read a bit about their traffic rules and laws, because they are definitely different from yours there in the UK. :) :) B) B)
embrace the wind..
Elle

Post by Elle »

mr.adi wrote:....i cannot agree with Elle that there's no rule for road users in thailand
then you took my comment far too literally B)
mr.adi wrote:it's just the way people drive/ride there. ignoring the rules, and getting away with it, is more like it.
exactly my point - by our standards there are "no rules"
however a tourist breaking those rules would be dealt with quite sternly

One more thing to consider Laura - you need to take out motorcycle insurance because it wasn't included with the bikes I hired. Most travel insurance sold will not cover you over 125cc so you need to hunt around. I found one which covered up to 750cc.
living an ordinary life in a non-ordinary way
Bonniebird

Post by Bonniebird »

Hi Guys, thanks for all your replies.
I will be riding with my son, he has plenty of experience on and off road, we will be mainly doing off road trails and staying in the Kanchanaburi area and hoping to hire upto 250cc trail bikes. He does not turn 17 until a few weeks before we leave that's why he will still be on a CBT only licence.

Return to “TRAVEL”