Canaries, Recommendations?

The black art of moving from A to B on foreign soil
SteveR

Post by SteveR »

I am taking SWMBO for a spot of guaranteed Winter sun at the end of January and while I would like to go back to Madeira, Janice says she wants to go somewher different. As I have a 4hr max flight time, this limits the options a bit, so hence the Canaries...

I want to hire a bike while we are away for at least a couple of days and a spot of light trail work would be nice too. (thumbs)

So, which Island to go for? I have never been there, so all ideas and advice appreciated.

Any suggestions for bike hire companies also welcomed. I would take/wear Para boots and gloves and a light jacket with me, so just need a helmet, but could take a open face too I guess.
SteveR

Re: Canaries, Recommendations?

Post by SteveR »

As an afterthought.

Can my missus hire a small bike there? She has ridden twist and go happily fairly recently and used to ride my 125 trailie. Only got a car licence though...
herman

Post by herman »

Majorca would be my choice around Alcudia in the north there are some stunning roads. From memory scooters are plentiful and I think KLRs and even BMW800s are available. Even if you stay in the south for the rentals the island is not that big. B)
The secret of a long life is knowing when its time to go.
PaulinBont

Post by PaulinBont »

herman wrote:Majorca would be my choice around Alcudia in the north there are some stunning roads. From memory scooters are plentiful and I think KLRs and even BMW800s are available. Even if you stay in the south for the rentals the island is not that big. B)

+1 for Mallorca.

Hired an F800 in Palma and toured the Island; the North-West is amazing up in the mountains around Soller; it's a relatively small island so doesn't really matter where you stay
misterlaffer

Post by misterlaffer »

Love it. "How about a bit of winter sun me love, don't bother to get your hair done before you go 'cos it'll look shite with helmet hair".

Lucky man, I wouldn't get away with LOL
SteveR

Post by SteveR »

Balearics not an option that early I fear...

Wevver!

And:

January is one of the coldest months to visit Majorca, Balearic Islands, when the average temperature is just 10°C. During this time of year, highs of up to 15°C are common, falling down to lows of 5°C after dark. On average, January experiences 11 rainy days, five foggy days and just two hours of sunshine each day. The sea temperature is very chilly at 6°C, making it too cold to take a dip in the ocean.
SteveR

Post by SteveR »

misterlaffer wrote:Love it. "How about a bit of winter sun me love, don't bother to get your hair done before you go 'cos it'll look shite with helmet hair".

Not sure I would either....

I am working on the "it's a lovely relaxing pool, lots of spa treatments, you stay and relax", type of approach :whistle:
misterlaffer

Post by misterlaffer »

SteveR wrote:
misterlaffer wrote:Love it. "How about a bit of winter sun me love, don't bother to get your hair done before you go 'cos it'll look shite with helmet hair".

Not sure I would either....

I am working on the "it's a lovely relaxing pool, lots of spa treatments, you stay and relax", type of approach :whistle:
Good man !
jonesthesteam

Post by jonesthesteam »

We like Playa Blanca in Lanzarote, quieter resort but with enough going on, never been in January though so can't comment on the weather, however I have hired bikes from these guys before with no issues, good selection of bikes in good overall condition

http://motobikelanzarote.com

Jonesy
jkay

Post by jkay »

We go to Correlajo, fueteventura often and love it there,plenty of hire companies on the main strip
We stay at caledonia dunas club apartments

Return to “TRAVEL”