France bans the use of headsets.

The black art of moving from A to B on foreign soil
bowber

Re: France bans the use of headsets.

Post by bowber »

Would be far better and probably more future proof to just ban the use of mobile communications devices by drivers full stop, with maybe a dispensation for instructors and such.

I'll just stand back now and watch ;)

Steve
Davy

Post by Davy »

Just ban motorcycles. The accident stats for motorcycles would improve dramatically. ;-)
chrisjk

Post by chrisjk »

Hey, just ban breathing.
Old Git Ray

Post by Old Git Ray »

I use my intercom and Garmin MP3 music all the time.

Despite this, I hear what is going on around me quite well. Certainly a lot better than a noise insulated car with 4 or more large speakers blaring out a deep bass.

On the legal front, I have a big switch on my handlebars that kills all noise. I use it at border posts, tolls etc. As such I could just turn it all off if stopped and state that I do not use it whilst in France/Spain as it is illegal :evil: (a bit like turning off speed camera alerts). He can then have a listen if he wants to and will see there are no "sounds" being sent. When he asks why is it plugged in I could say I use it for passenger communication when stationary. :whistle:

Fingers crossed :unsure:
Ali in Austria

Post by Ali in Austria »

The Sena 20S had a function that kills all input and enhances the ambient audio. Very handy at Petrol Stations etc.
IJnoGSer

France bans the use of headsets.

Post by IJnoGSer »

Davy wrote:Just ban motorcycles. The accident stats for motorcycles would improve dramatically. ;-)
That's exactly what I was thinking.

Somebody who deliberately rides his bike in snow and ice wants others banned for wearing earphones. Oh the irony.

If you followed every rule in every country then frankly you wouldn't bother leaving the house.

When did adventure motorcycle riders become such squares?

By some of your logic those with bad hearing shouldn't be aloud to ride.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
picos mestizo

Post by picos mestizo »

Why not RESPECT & obey the rules of the country you're riding in.
If your SatNav is mounted in an almost heads up position then a quick visual scan is hardly a distraction.
In Spain you are not allowed to be plumbed into the SatNav.
Maybe they consider any impairment to spatial awareness a no no for motorcyclists, & maybe they are right :whistle:
Lightness is everything.

Lightness with Grunt is a Scratcher!

An Adventure is not a tank transfer.
AndyB

Post by AndyB »

-Ralph- wrote:
AndyB wrote:I don't use earphones for anything on the bike because they take away part of the pleasure gained from riding as far as I'm concerned but in the car the only thing they can do is pull drivers they see wearing headphones or one of those over the ear type hands free sets.

Anyone wearing headphones while driving is an idiot and should be banned for their own good and does anyone still use those over the ear type hands free kits? Most cars have a proper hands free set that's normally voice operated (by those that know how to set it up) so unless they start doing random checks to see if the driver is connected to one it's impossible to police. They might sit at busy junctions with a scanner searching for blue tooth signals but they won't know which car it is or whose phone it is so that part of it is doomed.
When a driver's alone in the car, but driving along talking to himself, that's a pretty good indication that he's on the phone hands free.
I don't see any problem with built in hands free sets when you consider that the alternative is a return to drivers holding their phone in their hand while they talk. I don't think anybody seriously believes that an attempt to ban drivers from taking calls while driving would work no matter what the penalties. We're talking about France though and they can be irrational :)
-Ralph-

Post by -Ralph- »

AndyB wrote:I don't use earphones for anything on the bike because they take away part of the pleasure gained from riding as far as I'm concerned but in the car the only thing they can do is pull drivers they see wearing headphones or one of those over the ear type hands free sets.

Anyone wearing headphones while driving is an idiot and should be banned for their own good and does anyone still use those over the ear type hands free kits? Most cars have a proper hands free set that's normally voice operated (by those that know how to set it up) so unless they start doing random checks to see if the driver is connected to one it's impossible to police. They might sit at busy junctions with a scanner searching for blue tooth signals but they won't know which car it is or whose phone it is so that part of it is doomed.
When a driver's alone in the car, but driving along talking to himself, that's a pretty good indication that he's on the phone hands free.
"Luke, you're going to find that many of the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view" - Obi-Wan Kenobi
-Ralph-

Post by -Ralph- »

picos mestizo wrote:Lets get real.
A phone conversation in a car is probably more intense than talking to a passenger.
It's a distraction from driving & causes accidents that kill people.
Lets move this concentration disrupter outside the car & outside the lid so we can all concentrate on the job in hand 100%.
The handsfree option is definately not used by all as many are still using handsets & STILL TEXTING in motion.
A passenger has an awareness of what's going on outside the car, so if you stop talking because you're having to concentrate on something, like a busy junction, the passenger just waits. So I agree a phone conversation is more demanding of your attention and more distracting than talking to a passenger.
"Luke, you're going to find that many of the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view" - Obi-Wan Kenobi

Return to “TRAVEL”