Dates and details for the elephant treffan 2015

The black art of moving from A to B on foreign soil
peterpan241

Re: Dates and details for the elephant treffan 2015

Post by peterpan241 »

AndyB wrote:
peterpan241 wrote:I have to admit I was very disappointed upon arrival at this years Elefantentreffen. After riding for 2 days to find a field full of cars & vans and an endless procession of non motorcycle types carrying their gear to the field. Maybe I didn't know what I wanted to find, perhaps it was too insane for my disposition. The new regs, if they work, would allow a revisit
Luckily Silverfox & myself were befriended by 3 Italian guys who roasted a suckling pig over an open fire. We were invited to join them for the feast and it really made the event for me.
I don't wish to dampen anyone's lure for the event, it's nuts - go and experience
You must have gone to the one at the Nurburgring then because cars and vans don't get within two miles of the site at Solla.

It's got to be pretty obvious that anyone rocking up with a suckling pig hasn't taken it on a motorbike and even though they may have taken it in a sidecar you've got to question what their motivation for going to the rally is? I'd sooner go on a bike and survive on what I can carry than go for the marquee and hog roast approach because it just seems to be missing the point a bit.

I love going to the Elefantentreffen but I'm not convinced that the people treating it as a party where you can attend in a car or a van as long as you look like a biker and drink until you puke will be reading the BVDM website and picking up on the fact that they're not welcome any longer B)

If the organisers stick to their guns it'll be a rocky ride for a year or two while they fight off the muppets but I'm sure it'll survive and will be a better rally for it long term.
It was Solla, they arrived on 3 motorbikes and the suckling pig was strapped across the panniers. The only thing they compromised on was a tent large enough for the 3 to share and a small chainsaw :)
Adventure before Dementia
AndyB

Post by AndyB »

You can only admire them for strapping the pig on the back and going for it.

If I was given the choice I'd make people park their cars and vans 10 miles away unless they're disabled and have pre-booked in which case they could be dropped off a the entrance then the vehicle taken to a car park a mile or two away. It'd reduce the numbers but it'd mean it was back to being a bike rally.
Godspeed

Post by Godspeed »

AndyB wrote:You can only admire them for strapping the pig on the back and going for it.
On my way to the last rally :)
hog.jpg
hog.jpg (77.44 KiB) Viewed 1562 times
The Meandering Moustache

Going Big and Riding Small

Honda PCX125 (sports tourer)
Honda Innova ANF125 (Adventure bike)
peterpan241

Post by peterpan241 »

Godspeed wrote:
AndyB wrote:You can only admire them for strapping the pig on the back and going for it.
On my way to the last rally :)
hog.jpg
It was only a suckling pig, not that big but very tasty
peterpan241

Post by peterpan241 »

Elefantentreffen2014038.JPG
Elefantentreffen2014038.JPG (76.2 KiB) Viewed 1562 times
Elefantentreffen2014112.JPG
Elefantentreffen2014112.JPG (66.09 KiB) Viewed 1562 times
It was only a little one!!!!
James691

Post by James691 »

Rules look good :) Thanks Al. I'm going to be going to the 2016 event ... left it too late for this one. But the rules will aid in bringing it back to being a bike rally.

I think for a lot of people it's a 'tick off' ride and rally - I love the sound of the party but for me it's always been more about the ride. Good company is always a bonus.

So far there are about 5 or 6 of us planning to head over in 2016.

Hope you've been keeping well Al :)

James
Dancing in the moonlight

Return to “TRAVEL”