Shetland, Orkney, Hebrides, northern Scotland

The black art of moving from A to B on foreign soil
Tim Cullis

Shetland, Orkney, Hebrides, northern Scotland

Post by Tim Cullis »

Ten days ago I gave a presentation at HUBB/UK on Orkney and the Outer Hebrides from a trip I did last year. I'm planning another visit this year encompassing Shetland and other islands in the Hebrides group, so I've been busy extending my research.

I've now uploaded a .gpx file that contains over 220 waypoints in Shetland, Orkney, northern Scotland and the Hebrides. The waypoints are mainly places to visit and accommodation options, and most of the waypoints include a link to websites describing the place. The .gpx file also includes ferry links and route suggestions.

This represents at least four man days of work, so please do not incorporate this into other works.

Ferries
Obviously ferry costs need to be considered. The cheapest ferries to the Hebrides—Ullapool to Stornaway (Lewis) or Uig (Isle of Skye) to Tarbert (Harris)—work out at about £65 return for motorbike and rider. A much longer route from Oban to Castlebay (Barra), then island hopping to Lewis and returning Stornaway to Ullapool is about £110 for bike and rider.

The cheapest ferry to Orkney from the tip of Scotland (Scrabster or Gills Bay) is about £60 return. If, instead of directly returning you take the overnight ferry from Orkney to Shetland and return on the overnight ferry to Aberdeen, the total cost rises to £150 return, plus cabin accommodation if you want it.

Northlink Ferries (to Shetland, Orkney)
Pentland Ferries (to Orkney)
Orkney Ferries (between Orkney islands)
Calendonian MacBrayne (to Hebrides)

Accommodation
The Scottish islands are incredibly wild-camping-friendly so one option is to pitch up near a handy pub where you can use the toilets and wash basin, in exchange for buying food and drink. In Shetland there's a series of 'böds' which are basic huts costing £10 per night. These are self-catering and you need your own bedding. Elsewhere there's many inexpensive hostels ranging from £16 to £22 per night.

Independent Hostels Guide
Shetland Camping Böds
Hostel Scotland
Scotland Campsites

Places to visit
Undiscovered Scotland
Shetland Heritage
Visit Shetland
Orkneyjar
Visit Outer Hebrides
Scottish Monuments
Walk Highlands
Secret Scotland

Ask questions
TripAdvisor Shetlands
TripAdvisor Orkney
TripAdvisor Hebrides

The worst of the research has been done, all you need to do is to fine tune your routes and pack your bike. Enjoy!

"For sheer delight there is nothing like altitude; it gives one the thrill of adventure
and enlarges the world in which you live," Irving Mather (1892-1966)

Access the Morocco Knowledgebase
bikenav

Re: Shetland, Orkney, Hebrides, northern Scotland

Post by bikenav »

this little database may well be usefull to me this year thanks for efforts.On the subject when is the worst of the midge season?
Tim Cullis

Post by Tim Cullis »

There are silly hat solutions but I was fortunate last year and only encountered midges once, that was around midsummer's eve. Midges are very slow flying and can't keep up with a fast walking pace. Orkney is normally windy and they wouldn't be a problem then.

Obviously with a tent you need no-see-um mesh. One of those electric tennis racquet things would be fun.
"For sheer delight there is nothing like altitude; it gives one the thrill of adventure

Gavinskii

Post by Gavinskii »

Thanks Tim, a great presentation I thought :)

Will be doing Vartesay, Barra, South Uist, North Uist, Harris & Lewis in the next couple of weeks - can't wait!
R1150GS

Montesa 4Ride

KLX 250

Suzuki Beamish

2011 Nature Rally - Bronze Award
Oop North John

Post by Oop North John »

Looks like it's a good time to be in all of those places:

http://midgeforecast.co.uk/home/forecast.asp
Tim Cullis

Post by Tim Cullis »

Gavinskii wrote:Will be doing Vartesay, Barra, South Uist, North Uist, Harris & Lewis in the next couple of weeks - can't wait!
Have fun. Let me know if there's any good places I should add.

Tim

Mul001

Post by Mul001 »

Just posted my Highlands and Islands Ride Report for the Hebrides .. may help. I was there last week :-)

You'll enjoy. Midgie hats are essential travel companion these days.
NDC.

Post by NDC. »

Hi Guy's. What are the midges like in Mid August? Should be there for about 10 day's.

Cheers Nick

You Tube Xtra Rough Road Channel

Mul001

Post by Mul001 »

Big and getting bigger from all the muppets like me who they feed off :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Seriously still midgie season in August. Midgie hat plus the usual creams and potions
Tim Cullis

Post by Tim Cullis »

Added a pile more weblinks

Return to “TRAVEL”