Lots of passes closed...

The black art of moving from A to B on foreign soil
waynecoluk

Lots of passes closed...

Post by waynecoluk »

Just got back from what was meant to be a tour of the Alps taking in the passes but a lot of the them were closed. The Furkha, Sussten and Nuevan passes were all closed and the Stelvio had only opened the day before we got there but the weather at the top was very cold and snowing. A the top of the cable car it was snowing so bad we had to come back down due to the possibility of getting stuck up there.
On a good note the weather in Southern Germany, Austria and Northern Italy was lovely for the week. It was a bit of a let down as staying in Andermatt was the main stay off the week and we had to leave there early as it was getting worse.....maybe go next year a month later to do the passes. :(
Ride report with photos to follow...
2016 BMW 1200GSA

2013 Triumph Street Triple
OddBod

Re: Lots of passes closed...

Post by OddBod »

Going that way myself in Septemner, would be interested in hearing whereabous you stayed, the cost and any comments on the places.

Cheers
waynecoluk

Post by waynecoluk »

First night stayed ay the Grand Bursin in Folkestone £24 off laterooms.com. Second night we stayed in Achern just south of Baden Baden 50 euros for the night for a single room. Third and fourth night Andermatt 75 Swiss francs per night. Fifth night Northern Italy near Bormio 50 euros. Sixth night Austria, St Anton 40 euros per night, seventh night Villingen Schewingen in Germany 40 euros and final night in France about 30kms from Verdun 50 per person for a twin room.
We spent about 250 euros on fuel, £70 for the Chunnel, and about £250 in spending money ( we didn't really drink ). We completed 2174 miles door to door.
I'll give the full details with photos when I get around to doing the ride report.
2016 BMW 1200GSA

2013 Triumph Street Triple
andymac

Post by andymac »

100_1692.jpg
100_1692.jpg (71.15 KiB) Viewed 2005 times
there is a decent camp site in andermatt. under the cable car station 50mtrs from the main street :whistle:
work hard,,,,,,,,,,,play harder !!
desertraider

Post by desertraider »

They will be open in three weeks by the time of the stella rally with a bit of luck
deskjetian

Post by deskjetian »

I just got back from France/Italy and had hoped to do the Col Della Lombarda and the Col De Bonette. Both closed.
Oop North John

Post by Oop North John »

deskjetian wrote:I just got back from France/Italy and had hoped to do the Col Della Lombarda and the Col De Bonette. Both closed.
Was open recently:

http://www.ukgser.com/forums/showthread ... ht=bonette
Ali in Austria

Post by Ali in Austria »

Freaky weather throughout The Alps at the moment. The last few days here have been unbearably hot, mid 30's today, culminating in the inevitable thunderstorm this evening. Lasted about an hour with water running off the meadows in sheets. It was running across our car park and down the road several inches deep and with great force. Some damage to our embankments and minor flooding in part of the cellar. Hail Stones laid like snow and some remain several hours later.

The sky is still black with rumbles and flashes. Just been up to the end of our lane to find half the gravel from the public car park is now in my neighbours garden.
deskjetian

Post by deskjetian »

Oop North John wrote:
deskjetian wrote:I just got back from France/Italy and had hoped to do the Col Della Lombarda and the Col De Bonette. Both closed.
Was open recently:

http://www.ukgser.com/forums/showthread ... ht=bonette
I was there last Thursday, the 13th June. The closed signs were up but I must admit I didn't actually go up and see if I could get through.

Return to “TRAVEL”