Continental updates please

The black art of moving from A to B on foreign soil
Réné Artois

Re: Continental updates please

Post by Réné Artois »

AlanHolt wrote: Thu Apr 01, 2021 10:30 am
daveuprite wrote: Thu Apr 01, 2021 10:26 am Latest from Macron last night:

Schools closed for three weeks from next week. But 2 of those weeks were holiday anyway and the other one is planned remote learning. So no real closure there at all.

From Saturday nobody can move more than 10km from home without an attestation form and an approved reason - just like previous lockdowns.

That's suppose to last 3 weeks mimimum.

Still 7pm until 6am curfew.

I think that's it from what I gathered. Not everyone likes Macron, but he has the one advantage of speaking very carefully, slowly and clearly - so he's easy for those without fluent french to understand. The best was De Gaulle - he took about 5 minutes to spit out a couple of sentences, so everyone got his speeches first time.
The way it was reported in the UK was that Macron said the French lockdown would last 'at least 4 weeks'. It will be interesting to see what happens in the coming weeks.
It is 4 weeks. schools do a weeks distance learning ( ending today), 2 weeks holiday followed by another weeks distance learning before returning to school physically in first week of mai. the rest is as stated above.
Peirre

Post by Peirre »

Portugal
The UK and several other countries are on the Portuguese red list and anyone arriving by air, sea or land must register their data with the Portuguese SEF Servico de Estrangeiros e Fronteiras, https://www.sef.pt/en/Pages/homepage.aspx (the equivalent of the UK immigration and border service) and self isolate for 14 days
Barcelona Pat

Post by Barcelona Pat »

AlanHolt wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 11:22 pm Catalonia is going back under country level lockdown. For those who don't know, Catalonia is a province, and within it there are many comarcas which are like a county in the UK.
So people are confined to their county for 2 weeks when it will be reviewed again.
No official news on whether this latest Catalan restriction will extend beyond the next review point, but some speculation that it may last for some time (months). Seems there was a higher level of mobility in Catalonia over Easter than would be usual for the bank holiday! Must confess we added to that by spending the week at our place in the costa brava - start of the week was fine, but by Easter weekend we´d stopped going out so much and avioded the town centre, it was that busy.

On the plus side, much being made in the Spanish news about an acceleration (at last) in the vacination rate, with some 1/2 million being done over the weekend.

Still not sure yet, but I may be back in the UK in June. While flights are increadibly cheap, the cost of paying for 4 PCR tests (1 before you fly out, 2 during 10 day isolation, 1 before you fly back) makes you really think if its worth it.

Meanwhile elsewhere on the continent - what´s happening with the easing of restrictions in the UK? Lots of stuff on news here about pubs and shops opening, with little regard for social distancing...

Pat
Oop North John

Post by Oop North John »

Barcelona Pat wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 8:54 pm Meanwhile elsewhere on the continent - what´s happening with the easing of restrictions in the UK? Lots of stuff on news here about pubs and shops opening, with little regard for social distancing...
Well the fourth wave is probably going to start anytime soon: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-56727568

Or maybe even sooner: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-56726553
daveuprite

Post by daveuprite »

PM Castex and Macron are due to speak today / this weekend. But the details of the phased deconfinement have already been released:

As you might expect, millions of french people are desperate to get back to outdoor coffees and eating under the sun. which we can do from June 9th.

Meantime the inter-regional travel restrictions end on Monday, so the Two Wheeled Fools can meet for dirt days - which is great. First day at my place in a weeks time. Hooray.

I'm not sure what 'Touristes étranges' from June 9th will consist of. I suppose that'll be explained in the next few days. Regardless I really wouldn't visit for the moment until the numbers are down a bit more, although solo bike travel on the trails with wild camping would be safe as houses I'm sure.
pinball1008

Post by pinball1008 »

Quote "As you might expect, millions of french people are desperate to get back to outdoor coffees and eating under the sun. which we can do from June 9th."
Well you can wait until 9th of June, I'll follow the chart and start on 19th May :D
Not all those wandering are lost
daveuprite

Post by daveuprite »

pinball1008 wrote: Fri Apr 30, 2021 11:52 pm Quote "As you might expect, millions of french people are desperate to get back to outdoor coffees and eating under the sun. which we can do from June 9th."
Well you can wait until 9th of June, I'll follow the chart and start on 19th May :D
Oh yeah. Got that wrong. It's indoor eating that can start on 9th June.

Regardless, I think I'll be sticking to outdoors anyway, especially given the summer timing.

The one thing about it all I really want, above all, is simply for someone else to cook the food, serve it up, take away the plates and wash it up. I'm missing that a lot.
chunky butt

Post by chunky butt »

daveuprite wrote: Sat May 01, 2021 6:33 am
pinball1008 wrote: Fri Apr 30, 2021 11:52 pm Quote "As you might expect, millions of french people are desperate to get back to outdoor coffees and eating under the sun. which we can do from June 9th."
Oh yeah. Got that wrong. It's indoor eating that can start on 9th June.

Regardless, I think I'll be sticking to outdoors anyway, especially given the summer timing.

The one thing about it all I really want, above all, is simply for someone else to cook the food, serve it up, take away the plates and wash it up. I'm missing that a lot.

Come over to mine Dave....I'll put a ride out as well......scoff afterwards :D :D :D :D
AlanHolt

Post by AlanHolt »

Spain has extended the ban on entry by 3rd country nationals until the 31st May 2021.
Current bike is a Yamaha T7
daveuprite

Post by daveuprite »

AlanHolt wrote: Sat May 01, 2021 10:40 am Spain has extended the ban on entry by 3rd country nationals until the 31st May 2021.
Thanks Alan. Still hoping to drive over the mountains in September and camp for a week in Catalunya, as usual. But there's many a slip twixt cup and lip...

Return to “TRAVEL”