Re: An Australian lap attempt.....anti clockwise

Post by OnHellas »

IMG_0200.JPG
IMG_0200.JPG (77.14 KiB) Viewed 2541 times
IMG_0197.JPG
IMG_0197.JPG (143.68 KiB) Viewed 2541 times
IMG_0194.JPG
IMG_0194.JPG (137.87 KiB) Viewed 2541 times
A stone circle way back in Glen Innes, the town where the sidestand got shortened.
An amazing view across the forest from the Gwydir Highway, chasing the warmer weather back at the coast.

Its good having a look back through the pics this morning, we have seen so much and its a surprise how much a photo can bring back a memory.
I have said more than once that I'd get around to sorting the pics from the camara. I hope they are OK.
OnHellas

Post by OnHellas »

IMG_0207.JPG
IMG_0207.JPG (55.45 KiB) Viewed 2541 times
IMG_0205.JPG
IMG_0205.JPG (93.67 KiB) Viewed 2541 times
IMG_0203.JPG
IMG_0203.JPG (75.21 KiB) Viewed 2541 times
Yamba, it was warm there after being inland. Orange, Dubbo etc......seeing snow and generally being cold.
OnHellas

Post by OnHellas »

IMG_0245.JPG
IMG_0245.JPG (43.45 KiB) Viewed 2541 times
IMG_0231.JPG
IMG_0231.JPG (140.6 KiB) Viewed 2541 times
IMG_0229.JPG
IMG_0229.JPG (67.72 KiB) Viewed 2541 times
A fee more from Fraser Island. Definitely a highlight so far and a place we would go back to. Now that camping is an acceptable level of accommodation for me a few days exploring and even a bit more fishing would be good. Maybe one day.......

That'll do I think. There are more of course but some of you are starting to yawn at my ramblings anyway (Hey Barney?).

Today is Sunday and we're staying another night here at the Hi Way Road House at Daly Waters. Just for a rest, write the post cards that we didn't get around to writing yesterday and to put these photos on here.

We have had a look at the map and have made a rough plan of where to go over the next week or so. Its likely to be back in the tent so we will probably stay for two nights at each place. Not so much ag with setting and packing up, plus some time to go exploring a bit. We will be in the Kakadu National Park which everyone says is well worth the stop.
Part of the route even has some corners to ride around.......if we can remember how to that is.

Two happy people, two happy bikes.

Oh, Leonardo is the one driving the plane.
OnHellas

Post by OnHellas »

We ended up staying for three nights at the Hi Way Inn and felt all the more refreshed for it.
We had plenty of fuel in the bikes so didn’t fill up. Our plan for the day was to ride just 100 miles to Mataranka. We could stop at the halfway point in Larrimah. A town with a population of 10. Apparently none of the inhabitants get on with each other.

The Pink Panther pub is famous and probably the only reason to stop in Larrimah. The place had a collection of junk and certainly didn’t look very clean. There wasn’t any fuel......whoops. Still only another 50 miles to go.....
Breakfast was my choice. A ham and salad sandwich with a long hair in it, Sarah found it halfway through her half.
The pie however was very nice. A cup of tea was the beverage of choice, unfortunately it was more like a tea Latte.
I guess that we may never pass Larrimah again, even if we do we won’t bother stopping.

We made it to Mataranka, fuelled up, and while Sarah was buying supplies in the supermarket I got chatting to a chap called Dave.
Dave lives out here but said he was originally from Kent, from Herne Bay. The next town along from my home town of Whitstable. Small world.

I asked him about the place we’d thought about staying at but he suggested the Bitter Springs campsite. Good recommendation. A nice shady site and only a short walk to the hot springs. Noodle rental seemed like the thing so we got those and spent an enjoyable hour or so floating down the warm stream.

We spent a while chatting to an older couple who have travelled all over Australia and where happy to advise of nice places to go and see.
They have been to the UK a few times...and twice rented motor homes from a company in......Herne Bay. They knew Whitstable too, they really likes the harbour, as lots of visitors seem to.

There were loads of Kangaroos and/or Wallabies bouncing through the campground during the night, we caught one in the torch beam on the way to the loo. It just stood still in the bushes until we turned the torch away. The noise of them bouncing along is quite distinctive. I would describe it as a ‘whump’. If that’s a word?

Originally we were going to stay for two nights but we didn’t want another float in the springs so we took a couple of photos of the high termite mound in town and continued north on the Stuart Highway.
It was very hot on the road, leaving later then we’d have liked to didn’t help. Chatting again!

We made a supermarket stop in Katherine and headed on to Pine Creek. As we were hit and a bit tired the lure of an air conditioned cabin won the day.
Lunch at a picnic table with what looked very much like poo on it didn’t help the slight edge to our moods.
Still, cabin, air conditioning, Raisin Bread, toaster, tea, shower.
Add that lot together and you’re son back to......

Two happy people, two happy bikes.

Kakadu National Park tomorrow, and some twisty roads away from the Stuart Highway.
Last edited by OnHellas on Tue Aug 21, 2018 9:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
OnHellas

Post by OnHellas »

6C0F2E55-90C6-40A5-ADD8-85BCC32DC5B4.jpeg
6C0F2E55-90C6-40A5-ADD8-85BCC32DC5B4.jpeg (300.68 KiB) Viewed 2499 times
EA133461-2418-47AC-9F9C-66C4BD764D46.jpeg
EA133461-2418-47AC-9F9C-66C4BD764D46.jpeg (307.59 KiB) Viewed 2499 times
OnHellas

Post by OnHellas »

EEA6BAE5-870F-4D4B-9705-8B105974C87B.jpeg
EEA6BAE5-870F-4D4B-9705-8B105974C87B.jpeg (240.34 KiB) Viewed 2497 times
20B3D64E-0C3B-4CCA-AAA0-CA22B223BE4F.png
20B3D64E-0C3B-4CCA-AAA0-CA22B223BE4F.png (156.85 KiB) Viewed 2497 times
Barney Trubble

Post by Barney Trubble »

All I'm getting from this is, chips and gravy, raisin bread, petrol = sandwich, easy nav (there's a stroke of luck), and 'I love camping'........ you've gone all Aussie mate.
But it does look amazing, keep the posts going, and try and get the photos the right way up!
Bonza from Barney.
OnHellas

Post by OnHellas »

Cheers Barney, and welcome to the ABR forum.
Obviously you are no stranger to Adventure riding as every ride you set out on becomes an adventure. Just not necessarily on the correct route, but you always seem to have your own adventure.

:roll: :roll: :D
gspod

Post by gspod »

Hi.
Just seen this, enjoyed your America’s write up.
Thanks for posting
OnHellas

Post by OnHellas »

The twisty road in to the Kakadu National Park was more meandering curves than Pyrenees excitement, but there were curves none the less.
A pleasant change from the endless straights from the last couple of weeks.

We have heard more the once the ‘wait until you’re crossing the Nullabor’.
Apparently there is a 149km straight. No bends, curves or deviations. 149km!
There’s always something to look forward to.

For the second day in a row my usually very helpful and reliable Tom Tom thought that our destination was in a deferent place to where reality actually had it.
We had a tea stop and then had to stop again at the Ranger Station to purchase passes for the National Park.
Payment by card only and as there is no phone line or mobile phone signal the chap had to use the old card on the plate, triple copy slide the thingy over machine.
A blast from the past.

The temperature has risen a fair bit in the last couple of days, staying in an air conditioned cabin makes you (too) comfortable.
A 100 mile ride in your riding kit and then putting the tent up brings you back to reality.
Choosing the correct spot to put out tent took longer than it usually does. We were trying to find the best shade from the trees and some grass for ‘comfort’.
After we’d sorted that lot out it was lunchtime. The bloody restaurant closed as we were ordering drinks. 2 pm and not a minutes leeway! Bugger!
A nasty pizza was the best option so a nasty pizza we had.

Today was an early start. Yesterday I’d booked us on to the first Yellow River cruise of the day. Be at the bus stop at 06.20 they said. When the alarm went off at 5.30 I could have easily gone back to sleep and said sod it!
But no, up we got. The sight of loads of people already lined up nearly sent us running.
One thing that we both agree on is that although sometimes you have to join the ‘maggots’ as Sarah calls them, to see the amazing sights, being on your own and just seeing what you see is better.

But today it was a ‘maggot’ cruise to see crocodiles and the varied bird life.
The bloke who drove the bus from the resort to the river, 1.5km, could have been worse, also drove the boat.
He was an extremely funny and knowledgeable guy. Well he seemed knowledgeable, if he’d made up most of the names of the birds we’d never know.
We saw loads of crocs of various sizes.
He told us of the damage done by non indigenous hoover animals. Cows, feral pigs and buffalo. The birds were amazing too. High eagles, various migratory birds and tiny kingfishers.
At just over 2 hours the trip was about the right length and I would say that if you’re up here, have a look. We’re glad that we did anyway.
Maggot trips may well be off of the agenda for the next little while. Although we’ve booked a trip to the Horizontal Waterfall in a few weeks time.

Cooling off in one of the swimming pools and sitting around drinking tea has been a very pleasant way to enjoy the day. A fairly cold shower was also a nice way to feel a little bit less sticky too.

For tonight, we’ve got a hot tent to ‘look forward to’ again.......hey ho.
Last edited by OnHellas on Mon Aug 27, 2018 11:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “TRAVEL”