Would you ride to Trieste, Italy?

Bikers and riding
kavb

Would you ride to Trieste, Italy?

Post by kavb »

With a young family adventure (for me) rides don't come around very often.

But this May the family is going to Trieste for a long weekend holiday :woohoo: .

Looking at Google Maps its 2000 miles round trip. So I figure two days there two days back with a day in Trieste. Probably £200 in petrol, same in hotels, against the £70 Ryan airfare :whistle: .

Whilst I do a bit of motorway bashing, haven't done anything over 300 miles so also question whether I can make it. Choice of stead is my K75C.

Probably asking on the wrong forum, but would you do it or would I just equivalent to a 2000 mile jaunt along the M1, seeing little on the way?

Thoughts appreciated.

Ta
MarkN

Re: Would you ride to Trieste, Italy?

Post by MarkN »

For me, I think it's a long way to go in such a short time. Personally I wouldn't want to do 2x500 mile days, I would do it in three days (each way) and take it a bit easier. But, that's a matter of time, something you may not have.

As you've already suggested, to do 500 miles a day you will need to get on the motorways. The time I've been on Italian superslabs it's scared the life out of me and the thought of spending 8 hours on one really frightens me! (I commute from Dorset to London a couple of times a week so its not like I'm not used to motorways)

I'm sure you don't want my opinion but personally I'd fly with my family, enjoy having time with them and look for a weekend camping and riding with some friends sometime.

Whatever YOU decide to do, have fun and enjoy it!
backofbeyond

Post by backofbeyond »

Knowing Ryan Air their version of Trieste airport is probably somewhere in the Ukraine :laugh: :laugh:

Trieste from the UK is a great ride. Just long enough to feel like you've done something but without it turning into a full on expedition. You can do it in two days but to be honest a two day schedule would have me on the plane as it's just going to be long hours on the Autobahn. If you can stretch it to three each way then take the bike and enjoy the scenic route.

The ups and downs of 40 years on two wheels

www.pisquicktours.co.uk

Do the best you can, then try to live it down.

CCM604 Honda XR600 Honda CBX1000

Honda 400/4 Yamaha XS2 650 Kawasaki H1 500

Lotus Elan, Land Rover Discovery
herman

Post by herman »

Fly and hire a moped there. :side:
The secret of a long life is knowing when its time to go.
2 wheeled tourist

Post by 2 wheeled tourist »

That’s a long way for just a day or so, yeah, you’ll make it there and you’ll make it back, but there are always, without seeming pessimistic just realistic, outside elements that can dampen the journey and thus eat into your non-riding time.

With this sort of destination I’d want a good seven to ten days to both enjoy the ride and the destination too. If you’re not used to long-distance riding then by the time you get to your destination I can see you spending it in the hotel room catching up on the lost Zzzzzz.

With this sot of journey in this short timeframe I’d be wanting a bike over a 1000cc with shaft drive, what bike will you be running?

Try for something a little closer to home; less travelling and more sightseeing…Paris, Berlin, Switzerland…
Hey! I'm a tourist. And that's how I like it.
NKL990

Post by NKL990 »

As others have said, to do that mileage in that time would mean predominantly motorway, so for me that wouldn't be enjoyable so no point (I don't do motorways, not enough bends in them ), would just be putting miles on the bike.
Rederic

Post by Rederic »

I would go for it, but every one is different if you are unsure of the 500 miles a day try picking a destination about 300 miles from home get up early and try and get there and back in a day, It will not be motorway all the way there so make sure you account for that, And dont forget it will rain somewhere on route, and take a heavy lock and chain
Good luck and keep us informed how it goes do not forget to budjet for tyres etc
If your not the lead dog the view never change's
Redmurty

Post by Redmurty »

Go for it make the journey part of your holiday. 500 miles on a brick should be no problem. Go enjoy and do a RR with pics when you return cheers Spud ;)
Life... it's not a dress rehearsal

You don't waste time... you waste yourself
Sleepy

Post by Sleepy »

Redmurty wrote:Go for it make the journey part of your holiday. 500 miles on a brick should be no problem. Go enjoy and do a RR with pics when you return cheers Spud ;)
That would be lots of pics of lots of motorway filling stations.. :)

You're looking at two, six-seven hours a day sitting on motorways for a day out in Trieste... then the same to get home.. (maybe more if you like longish lunch/meal breaks).

Ok if you're used to this sort of riding (or are Nick Sanders). ;)

I've done 500 mile days, but then it was to get home or stop at a destination for three or four days... I wouldn't like to do what you have planned.
snaphappy

Post by snaphappy »

Google maps gives you two options via Germany or via France, I've done the run from Germany a few times and it's boring until the Austrian border. Never done the france route but it looks a damn site better...still long but better views, if you could spread it out a bit more it would a nice enjoyable route.
Northern Italy Slowenvia Austria is a bikers dream so its a difficult call. fly and hire and go touring a great area or ride for the adventure of doing it all on your own bike.
Campsites on route are 10 a penny have a look at archies camping guide
http://www.archiescampings.eu/eng1/
For more info click on the Dambuster Signature banner

Return to “ADVENTURE BIKE RIDER”