Trip up north in Scotland

Bikers and riding
Dark Knight

Trip up north in Scotland

Post by Dark Knight »

Just getting ready to go up north in Scotland for a bit of a wander on the S10l.
Usual problem of getting everything into the panniers.
First stop is Drumnadrochit on Loch Ness.
Have booked a few cheap B & Bs/Hotels to stay when away.
First thing to happen was that the Balavoulin at Aviemore has already charged my card before I even get there.
Next thing I get a message from the Caledonian Hotel at Ullapool saying that there a refurbishment at the hotel in progress.
Seems nothing to worry about, think again, this hotel was built in the1800,s when they used asbestos in buildings.
Careful inspection of the work in progress will be required.
My wifes mother died of asbestos poisoning because Falkirk council were refurbishing the school at which she worked.
Dark Knight

Re: Trip up north in Scotland

Post by Dark Knight »

Well it was certainly wet on the Monday, met some american women at Tyndrum doing the west highland way walk, they were heading up to Fort William, very wild going through Glen Coe with the high wind and heavy rain, if walking must be like survival training.
The Tyndrum Calidonian Hotel was fine, the rooms on the third floor had been refurbished (preffered to avoid the noise of creaking floorboards).
The bathrooms in the single rooms are a bit small and those small sinks ( seems to be a de facto standard these days) require a different approach to use.
The staff were great and would do anything for you, well almost anything.
Aviemore was very busy and the Balavoulin was packed at night, they are short staffed as usual these days, was joking with the girls that they needed roller skates.
Must be quite a high end place, I mean when you can order salomon and scrambled eggs for breakfast.
Ksithumper

Post by Ksithumper »

Hope you enjoyed your trip. We are just back from a week camping in the very north on a couple of old bikes - a 73 Suzuki TS250 and a 56 BSA 650.

What a beautiful part of the world. A fine adventure was had, pics and tales at TeamTett racing on FB if anyone's interested.
Scott_rider

Post by Scott_rider »

Dark Knight wrote: Sun May 08, 2022 7:07 pm
First thing to happen was that the Balavoulin at Aviemore has already charged my card before I even get there.
...I had that happen with a hotel in France a couple of years ago. Despite the website that I booked it through (booking.com) clearly stating that the payment was only due on arrival.

...and, I got caught out with the auto-fuel pumps that pre-authorised about £100 for each transaction although I was usually only filling £15 of fuel each time...over a 14 day period I ran out of credit on my card because it took about 5 to 7 days for each pre-authorised £100 to come off the card balance...
Suzuki GSX-S1000F...the KTM 450 EXC-R has gone

Return to “ADVENTURE BIKE RIDER”