The Cost of Camping - 2022

Bikers and riding
NeilM

Re: The Cost of Camping - 2022

Post by NeilM »

To be fair to Cornwall I thought I should do a bit of an update.

Searching a little farther down the road into the county I have started to find sites that still offer good prices and still accept that some of us like to travel solo.

If you have a good look, then there are a few nice looking sites that charge a tenner. One I found looked like a bit of a holiday camp, but the reviews are good and they do have tent pitches well separated from the static vans.

Without a doubt there is definitely a bias towards higher prices around the North Devon / Cornwall border and a lot of sites automatically assume two people in a car with no option to change to a solo camper, and I have done a lot of searches just to satisfy myself that this is a 'thing'.
PaulinBont

Post by PaulinBont »

How about we use this thread as a database for basic, solo bike camping sites?
I don’t need a pool, pop up pizza oven or clubhouse ( just a toilet and basic shower)
catcitrus

Post by catcitrus »

I subscribe to "nearly wild camping"---and here its generally small sites, maybe with a long drop toilet--basic tap and maybe a shower if you are lucky. the thing is you can choose the area , then see the sites, and then contact them for space and booking--works well.
ABRMAN

Post by ABRMAN »

Devon and Cornwall are trying to get back some of the money lost over the last 2 years same as the rest of us! That part of the country has mega appeal for those who haven't been away for two years and can't, for whatever reason, travel abroad so wait until you see prices during summer hols!
PatC

Post by PatC »

Just caught up with this thread. Interesting to read that others are finding the same as me when it comes to camping fees. Last year I tried to book some nights at various sites in north wales (me, bike, backpacking tent) and found that prices had gone up but more worryingly sites that I'd used in the past were now not even accepting bookings from solo campers (so family only) or had turned their backs on backpacking tents completely and were only taking camper van and caravan bookings etc.

Recently went to book a campsite for my son and me in mid mid-wales this summer ( a non motorcycle trip this time) and was being quoted £25 per night for what turned out to be a basic site with no facilities. Eventually found somewhere for £15 per night with showers etc. so hoping that turns out to be somewhere I can return on the bike.

The campsite listings in the travel section are really ueful, thank you for sharing. Already seen a couple that I must try this year.
bikenav

Post by bikenav »

PatC wrote: Mon Jun 06, 2022 1:34 pm
The campsite listings in the travel section are really ueful, thank you for sharing. Already seen a couple that I must try this year.
Added another this evening to "England" please add any you have knowledge of, unfortunately does seem there is little interest here. :(
johnnyboxer

Post by johnnyboxer »

PatC wrote:Just caught up with this thread. Interesting to read that others are finding the same as me when it comes to camping fees. Last year I tried to book some nights at various sites in north wales (me, bike, backpacking tent) and found that prices had gone up but more worryingly sites that I'd used in the past were now not even accepting bookings from solo campers (so family only) or had turned their backs on backpacking tents completely and were only taking camper van and caravan bookings etc.

Recently went to book a campsite for my son and me in mid mid-wales this summer ( a non motorcycle trip this time) and was being quoted £25 per night for what turned out to be a basic site with no facilities. Eventually found somewhere for £15 per night with showers etc. so hoping that turns out to be somewhere I can return on the bike.

At £25/night for a basic camp set up, it’s getting towards the cost of hostels and B&B
Recently got a room (en-suite with tv) for solo use with towels and bedding provided, in a hostel (so self catering) for £35/ night for single occupancy
Not worth lugging the tent unless you love camping instead of a room
We buy things we don't need

With money we don't have

To impress people we don't even like
NeilM

Post by NeilM »

I just spent a week in Wales.

I guess that it is a supply and demand thing, but there are loads of sites, especially in Snowdonia.

I paid £10 a night at both sites and I have just listed them in the 'basic sites in Wales' thread.
Womble

Post by Womble »

I camped on my way out and back when travelling in France last month, the municipal campsites were wonderful, all around 7/8 euro per night, close to town, good facilities, so about £6/7 as a solo traveller. On the whole cheaper to take a ferry to France for a couple of week's camping.
Enfield Himalayan... apparently they're Marmite... not keen on Marmite, but like Vegemite
YBR125... the little adventure steed of awesomeness
NeilM

Post by NeilM »

Womble wrote: Mon Jul 18, 2022 4:49 pm On the whole cheaper to take a ferry to France for a couple of week's camping.
I am looking at a seven day trip to Belgium and France, but from where I live it is a four to five hour ride to Dover or a three hour ride to Portsmouth, then the cost of the ferry each way. It will be a fun adventure, but I doubt it will be cheaper than last years tour of Scotland.

I think this whole camping thing has turned into a bit of a minefield in the UK. I am going back to Scotland in September and I have had every response to enquiries I have made from sensible camping charges through silly expensive (£8.00 per night for electric hookup anyone) to sites telling me (in so many words) that they no longer accept bookings for tents.

I understand that many sites have lost a lot of potential revenue over the last few years and that some of them think they can recover that in increased costs this year, but the staycation is going to be popular only for a year or two and then the vast majority of ordinary people will return to cheap(ish) flights and package holidays, because those providers want their customers back too.

Scare solo travellers off now and there's a really good chance that they won't ever return.

Return to “ADVENTURE BIKE RIDER”