A free place to stay the night.....

Bikers and riding
Harty

A free place to stay the night.....

Post by Harty »

I know that this exists on other forums, but not so much in the UK, but would there be much interest in fellow bikers on the ABR forum in creating a list of willing hosts to 'put up' a biker for the night in their garden. I for one am a complete tight arse and refuse to pay for a nights camping whilst on my journey somewhere, although I do often rough it! Sometimes it's nice to camp somewhere bike friendly, grab a cold beer and perhaps have tinker with me bike whilst under cover.

So, what I'm offering is a place to camp in my garden, a cold beer and access to tools to tinker with, and some Adventure Biker chin wagging! Am just of Jct 27 of M5 on the Devon/Somerset border.

Good idea or not????
.....eat my dirt!
irishtiger

Re: A free place to stay the night.....

Post by irishtiger »

Yea Harty it a great idea. Done this a few times here in Ireland, met some interesting people and remained friends with a few. Beats a camp site when your travelling alone.

I've not much of a garden, could squeeze in one tent no problem. I'm about 20 mile south of Belfast. Anyone travelling over this way is welcome.
George.
“I haven’t been everywhere, but it’s on my list.” – Susan Sontag
Selous

Post by Selous »

HU Forum do something like that.
In a Earlier post I stated quite clearly, as I am on the Essex Suffolk Borders, & at most 20 min to a International Ferry to Europe, ppl could dosse in my Back Garden, Sofa/Floor, Tea Coffee, Tools if I have some in Bacon Butties. B)

I noticed there has been 30 views only 1 there reply, I appreciate you don't know who your letting say in your garden, I have found in all these other country's people will help with out question.

We are the Pilgrims, master; we shall go Always a little further: it may be Beyond that last blue mountain barred with snow, Across that angry or that glimmering sea.

Artificers Masonic Motorcycle Association

http://www.amma-uk.com
Jimbike

Post by Jimbike »

That's a great idea. I've seen it on other sites and I'm sure it would work with this friendliest of forums.

I'm in Hayle, Cornwall and have room for any size tent.
If you have eaten your breakfast, clean your bowl.
Tenere Mart

Post by Tenere Mart »

Awsome cool idia :cheer: Will keep in mind when out traveling .
MART
tiger800xc

Post by tiger800xc »

I Think it is a great idea should you have a need to pull over for the night.
Im just off the m6 juntion 17 but any biker would be welcome to call in for a over night rest and a brew.
Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

Ferris Bueller
Roadcat

Post by Roadcat »

I think it's a great idea too. I'm situated near Cambridge, so not exactly conveniently located between anywhere and anywhere else, but if anybody needs tent space I've got loads and if you're really fortunate I might even have a cold beer in the fridge.
backofbeyond

Post by backofbeyond »

There is a "bike club" (not really sure what to call it) in the States like this where you get a directory of bikers throughout the country willing to help. The level of help is graded from "just a phone call if you're in the area and stuck" through to "call in, use my workshop and we'll put you up" and you choose whatever is appropriate to your circumstances and temperament.

There it's been running a while, is formalised and you get a paper directory (which is how I came across it). Something similar here would be worth getting off the ground but posting up peoples details on an open access website may not be the best of ideas - how many spammers, cold calling financial scammers and burglars do you want?

The ups and downs of 40 years on two wheels

www.pisquicktours.co.uk

Do the best you can, then try to live it down.

CCM604 Honda XR600 Honda CBX1000

Honda 400/4 Yamaha XS2 650 Kawasaki H1 500

Lotus Elan, Land Rover Discovery
Norm De Plume

Post by Norm De Plume »

It's funny this is being discussed now, it's something that we discussed over the weekend at the EAB camping. The XRV forum run a scheme that is co-ordinated using Google Maps - http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UTF&m ... 35582630f0

People mark their locations with a marker which says what they offer, e.g. bed/camping/tools/beer etc. Once you know who you want to contact, it looks like you have to PM them on the forum, so your contact details aren't available to all.
LargeWayRound

Post by LargeWayRound »

:laugh:

Return to “ADVENTURE BIKE RIDER”