Garmin Experts.....

Bikers and riding
flipflopdog

Garmin Experts.....

Post by flipflopdog »

I'm cringing writing this because I'm proper shite with tech in general especially navigating Garmin devices but I need to bring myself up to a level of understanding with the two devices I have in prep for an upcoming trip in April. I need to seek the help of someone local to me (Gateshead/Newcastle) to help me get a better feel and understanding. I have all the detailed mapping already installed in my Montana but because covid wrecked the trip back in May2020 I've lost some momentum with the understandings of satnav usage, sounds feeble because it probably is..!!! If anyone here is willing to help me I'll quite happily contribute for there time. The trip is the full assault of the TCAT, flying out on the 1st April and no, it's not an April fools joke....!!!
Danand

Re: Garmin Experts.....

Post by Danand »

I am not in your area but have you had a look on You Tube or the Internet for videos and advice on your Garmin devices?

If you are sat at home planning routes you could use Garmin Basecamp or other PC software for creating your routes and importing and exporting those routes as GPX files to and from your devices?

I find doing route planning on a PC and sending the route to both my Garmin Sat Nav and my phone easier than trying to put routes direct into devices. I do use Basecamp on my PC.

I also have both the OS map and OutdoorActive apps on my phone with OS maps subscription so l can see Byways which aren't visible on my sat nav. You can plan routes via your PC browser in both apps and import or export GPX files in both.

It takes a little while to get used to your chosen software and devices but it is worth putting in the time to learn. It might seem daunting at first but it's not as complicated as you might think.

I hope that helps in some way even if it just gives you pointers.
bikenav

Post by bikenav »

Hello too far for face to face help but I have a reasonable working knowledge of the 600 montana basecamp too, as said above YT is a usefull learning tool, feel free to throw up some questions if no local solution can be found happy to try and help. Note- you will probably only use a fraction of the montana features for road and trail biking. Good luck with your plans . watching.
Agent Orange

Post by Agent Orange »

You may be able to join the UKGSer group without subs....
Great info on here with lots of useful links

https://www.ukgser.com/forums/forumdisp ... 6-GPS-Info
flipflopdog

Post by flipflopdog »

bikenav wrote: Thu Feb 10, 2022 12:21 am Hello too far for face to face help but I have a reasonable working knowledge of the 600 montana basecamp too, as said above YT is a usefull learning tool, feel free to throw up some questions if no local solution can be found happy to try and help. Note- you will probably only use a fraction of the montana features for road and trail biking. Good luck with your plans . watching.
Thanks also to Danand and Agent Orange.

I might have too tax your brain at some point, I have basecamp on my PC and was using it a couple of years ago when loading up all the TCAT files. I tell you what, just switching it on these days strikes the fear of God into me, I'll Man-up and start again but you may get a PM at some point....!!!
Agent Orange

Post by Agent Orange »

I was a bit like that when BC first came out....resorted to putting Mapsource on my lap top again....till it died. Went back to BC and it's more like Mapsource now, so not too bad. Couple of good vids out there now too. Good luck
ErikGustav2

Post by ErikGustav2 »

It is hard to understand what type of issues you have,.
Is it related to planning/creating routes ?

Or riding, following the GPS instructions ?
Since you say that you already have everything loaded on your device ??

Base Camp is not easy to use.
But hands on training is the best way to go.
At the start of Base Camp, you can watch videos.
The help on the menu links to excellent manuals.

=
My experiences:
Take your time to create Way points.
Name and store the with structure.
E.g rout AB WP 001 explanation.

Then the route planning goes fast. Just pick from the WP list.
And easy to modify buy adding or removing a WP.

I often use My Maps from Google (not google maps) to create WP on a Map,
It is better and easier to search there then in Base Camp.
Then I create a KML file,
That file I then import to Base Camp => I have my way points.
Than I use Base Camp direct. If I want to add, modify or delete a Way point.
I create my route. And use the command "send to device" to get it to the GPS.
On the GPS, use Trip app. Import the route. And there is is.
Readý to be used,

Test the whole process in small scale. At home on local roads.
Until you feel that you know the process.

Be very aware of the difference between route and tracks.
And what happens when you move those files.

If you want to share your results. Or to use it on any other type of GPS.
Base Camp has an export to gpx command.

Good luck.
It would be nice if you published some of your experiences and travel reports.

Return to “ADVENTURE BIKE RIDER”