Talk about sacking Boris.

Bikers and riding
Dark Knight

Talk about sacking Boris.

Post by Dark Knight »

There are people closer to home that we should be sacking.
What about the people in charge of the road system.
A quick review.
1960,s.
30 MPH in town no speed limit out of town, I was riding about on those British bikes, system seemed to work quite well, the bikes had poor reliabikity and poor brakes.
Did not meet any Continentals riding motorbikes.
Seem to remember that the Police used to stop you quite a lot, but were friendly and never caused you any problems.

Britain joins the EU.
The company that I work for switches to the metric system.
No immediate change to the road system or signage observed.

Fast forward to 2022.
The amount of visitors from the EU has increased dramatically.
We are still driving on the wrong side of the road, obviously dangerous as the continentals could get confused, strike 01.
The road signage has not changed, any continentals that you meet usually ask you what the speed limit is.
If you ask the Police why the road signs are not in metric, they say that there is a waiver to keep them in the imperial system?
Who has seen or heard of this waiver, obviosly dangerous if any visitors to the UK cannot understand the road signs, strike 02.
The roads are currently very poor condition, with many pot holes, last year according to the data, 74 bikers were either killed or seriously injured due to pot holes, stgrike 03.
Moving on to the motorway system.
There are still steel poles with steel wire down the centre of some motorways, if you hit them on a motorbike you are not going to walk away, strike 04.
Some of the motorway exits are at a too acute an angle, so making it difficult to see traffic coming from the left if you are getting on in years, strike 05.
The so called SMART motorways, where you find it difficult to get out of the traffic flow if you breakdown, allredy there is a reported death toll of 24 due to this change, which is probably an underestimate, strike 06.

So whats that six strikes, surely someone is going to be sacked.
Bring on Lord Sugar.
Richard Simpson Mark II

Re: Talk about sacking Boris.

Post by Richard Simpson Mark II »

As seems obvious from your post, there is no one 'in charge' of the road system

Even the Chief Exec of whatever Highways England is called now only has a remit covering motorways and major trunk routes in England.
garyboy

Post by garyboy »

I can remember going onto motorways and there being very few cars ... with no speed restrictions, anywhere out of town, just `end of speed limit` signs. You could also legally Drink and Drive, and pass your bike test by riding around the block. You were also measured as a `Man` by how much you could drink. Apparently, we lost a lot of bikers in those days .. thousands, reportedly? .. and `doing a ton` was a young man's dream, ..`day dream` when catching the bus to his factory job. Girl bikers were a rarity, and thought of as butch ... but if you could afford a leather jack ... well .. what can I say??

The cops were always stopping bikes, as if you were committing a crime for having one .. also being stitched up for crimes you did not commit, and the police not being nice at all. Bikers were victimised, both by the police and by the public .. lorries used to try to kill me frequently. .. A lot was down to Marlon Brando !! (discuss lol). There waz mods and rockers, and if i wore a leather jacket with 3 stripes on, i was really someone .. girls and mods and the public lol. Japanese bikes were taking over and the old British bikes were still hallowed but we all realised that really they were (awesome) crap, unless you liked rough nails and dirty hands, but they had tyres that actually worked, and you were a real man if you managed to return home.

Bikes got bigger and `better`, and the police seemed to be easing off our persecution. When we went abroad it was a great adventure .. sun !!!! lol yea ,, really .... SUN ... fakkk me /... never seen it before in this country ... but climate change has worked for the better in this country (do nNot discuss lol) and we can actually use our bikes some parts of the year in actual British sunshine.

Road have got more congested, we are charged on roads for that congestion. In towns it is called the congestion Charge, in the countryside it is/was called Road Tax .. which of course, is not spent on the roads. Welsh country road are ok, fab in fact, it is in the towns that there are most potholes .... which shows that most MPs MSs must live in the countryside.

Speed restrictions are becoming very... restrictive .. I mean really restrictive... the average speed ones are the worst ... Soon we will all be dawdling along at 20- 40 mph, monitored by our own vehicles, and fined automatically and vilified for what we `could have` done to a child or little kitten.

There is talk of implants that will monitor our walking and running and also our sex lives ... not too rough now!! mind you. lol. And when the Chinese take over there will be even worse ... we will all be forced to eat our takeaways from plastic cartons kept in frunks. Our DNA will be sampled and we wont need IDs as the implant will automatically transmit our whereabouts and what `person` we are molesting .. Progress ... bah !!!!
Last edited by garyboy on Sat Jan 15, 2022 4:34 am, edited 5 times in total.
garyboy

Post by garyboy »

Yeah .. there's going to be drone wars ... rival Chinese restaurants will make deliveries by drone .. and fly-away restaurants will shoot them out of the sky .. so look out .. there will be fakkin curry sprayed everywhere, in the future, which is why we will all need to wear papadoms on our heads when we have permission to leave the house.

So will Boris be blamed for this?... too right he will, as he will still be leading us in the far future .. as he is party leader (burp) .. king of welcome chaos .. as people like and venerate his scruffy ant-establishment mop hair. .... true!!

I mean!! .. why be sensible and follow rules, when we are all going to burn up, by climate change, before week next Tuesday??
Jak*

Post by Jak* »

I am not quite sure how the state of our roads, the biking ‘scene’, or road safety can be linked to the need to sack Bojo. The destruction of the public transport system and wire rope barriers can be laid fairly at the Tory Party’s feet. ‘Smart’ motorways were the responsibility of ‘New’ Labour, although the Tories have had eleven years to get rid of them, or at least stop building new ones.
Bojo should go because he is not doing what he is paid to do, which is lead the country. We have the most dishonest, incompetent PM at a time when we are facing two of the biggest problems this country has faced in my lifetime, ie Covid and the self inflicted Brexit. Having said that the electorate voted for a clown and they have got what they wanted.
Jak*

Post by Jak* »

I am not sure that this will have any impact but it is gathering momentum
https://www.change.org/p/uk-parliament- ... igned=true
lancashirelad

Post by lancashirelad »

Most but not all of our current problems lie in the Tories austerity programme, decimating the Police force has led to the near anarchy on the roads we see today, cuts in the health service meant there wasn’t enough staff to cope with covid, ditto council cuts & roads, all caused by the Tories crusade to cut taxes, which let’s face it the average punter hasn’t seen have they??
***just like Britney Spears oops I did it again……sold the Scrambler & as of now there may not be a replacement***
johnnyboxer

Post by johnnyboxer »

Jak* wrote: Bojo should go because he is not doing what he is paid to do, which is lead the country. We have the most dishonest, incompetent PM at a time when we are facing two of the biggest problems this country has faced in my lifetime, ie Covid and the self inflicted Brexit. Having said that the electorate voted for a clown and they have got what they wanted.
Well said
We buy things we don't need

With money we don't have

To impress people we don't even like
lancashirelad

Post by lancashirelad »

As one of the MPs pointed out at PMs questions, Boris was sacked from 2 previous jobs for telling lies so it could only have been expected :D
***just like Britney Spears oops I did it again……sold the Scrambler & as of now there may not be a replacement***

Return to “ADVENTURE BIKE RIDER”