DIESEL OON THE ROADS

Bikers and riding
Seminole

DIESEL OON THE ROADS

Post by Seminole »

Just been out for a quick morning Bimble after the first bit of rain in a while and it seems every numpty in the valleys has been topping up their Diesel to the brim and sploshing it down the road (I dont quite understand how modern caps leak perhaps they've all had then ripped off by the local syphoners and replaced with those emergency plastic caps )

Carefull out there
Godspeed

Re: DIESEL OON THE ROADS

Post by Godspeed »

While I was riding through France a couple of weeks ago someone had managed to get almost 3/4 of my side of the road covered in diesel, and it went on for about 5 miles. Fortunately the roads were really quiet so I rode on the other side of the road.
Anyone seeing my numberplate must have thought ‘stupid British!’
It’s really pretty scary though 😮
The Meandering Moustache

Going Big and Riding Small

Honda PCX125 (sports tourer)
Honda Innova ANF125 (Adventure bike)
daveuprite

Post by daveuprite »

Godspeed wrote: Sun Oct 17, 2021 12:34 pm While I was riding through France a couple of weeks ago someone had managed to get almost 3/4 of my side of the road covered in diesel, and it went on for about 5 miles. Fortunately the roads were really quiet so I rode on the other side of the road.
Anyone seeing my numberplate must have thought ‘stupid British!’
It’s really pretty scary though 😮
Absolutely right Chris. It's a real hazard for bikers here. The worst scenario is a long dry spell followed by rain. The roundabouts actually foam up with the diesel soaked into them. Lethal on 2 wheels, especially little scoot wheels like yours.

That's when all that off-road training comes in to play. If it goes well, you can spin up the rear in a beautifully balanced cool-looking roundabout-exiting slide. If it doesn't you end up on your arse in the ditch.
dave h

Post by dave h »

traction control and abs really is your friend in theses situations ont bigger bikes,

but nothing beats experience, rainbows in wet, dark in dry, the smell of it,

just take it easy,

dave.
Richard Simpson Mark II

Post by Richard Simpson Mark II »

When I worked in the motorcycle trade, there was an accident caused by a diesel spill. A car slid on diesel and hit one of my customers as he was riding home from work. I'd previously come off on the same diesel. If there's ever a sight you don't want to see, it's someone you know wedged under a V8 Rover.
Back in work the next day, and his son and Dad came into see me to find out who his insurance and finance co etc was. He was still alive at that point, but never left hospital. Two tough working-class blokes fighting back the tears. Not a conversation I ever want to repeat.
Cornishman

Post by Cornishman »

My worst motorcycle accident happened on a diesel spill on a damp Sunday morning in the Eifel. Luckily it was in a 30kmh zone so I slid off gently. The bike slid along a raised kerb that added another four and a half litres of oil to the already slippery surface when it ground through the engine casing. The Feuerwehr arrived in mass to clean the road and an ADAC van came to collect me and the bike. The ADAC man asked if I had phoned the police, the top fireman said there was no need. The ADAC man insisted so I did. The policeman came and told me straight away that the accident wasn’t my fault, they had been told about the diesel spill earlier. He filled out his accident report form putting my details in the right hand column. The ADAC man explained that that confirmed that I was an innocent party. I didn’t think too much about it until a couple of months later when I received a bill for over €3000 to pay for the eight fire trucks and 24 firefighters who had cleaned up the road after my accident. Luckily a photocopy of the form that the policeman had given me cancelled that. No wonder the top fireman hadn’t wanted me to ring the police! I suppose the Feurwehr need to top up their funds from somewhere but they really should have sent a bill for the two trucks and eight men who actually turned up, not the exaggerated number that presumably inflated the price.
Richard Simpson Mark II

Hell...if you had been 'at fault' would your insurance have covered it?
Cornishman

Post by Cornishman »

Richard Simpson Mark II wrote: Sun Oct 17, 2021 8:52 pm Hell...if you had been 'at fault' would your insurance have covered it?
I presume they would have done but luckily I didn’t have to find out. I also presume that the insurance company wouldn’t be ripped off to the same degree when they actually paid. Insurance scams could be another topic altogether. When I hit a fox in my car it was going to take me six years to reach the same NC position I was in when the accident happened although I had only lost one year’s no claims. When I told the repair shop that I would be paying the bill not my insurance company they reduced the quote by a third. No wonder insurance premiums rise while that sort of practise goes on.
Richard Simpson Mark II

It's shocking. A few years back someone drove into my car. Minor damage, no injury. I got it repaired, and they paid the bill.
A lawyer neighbour found out and said to me..oh if you say you've got whiplash, I'll get you £2000 compensation.
She got really offended when I said I wouldn't be party to a fraud.

Return to “ADVENTURE BIKE RIDER”