Bike trailers / camping conversions - let's see 'em

Bikers and riding
Monster

Bike trailers / camping conversions - let's see 'em

Post by Monster »

Hi All

Horseboxes have been converted to mobile bars and coffee outlets etc etc

I once saw a nice camping conversion for sale on EBay (pre face mask era) ... and it got me thinking about this as an idea

It was interesting at the recent ABR rally to look at vans and trailers and other vehicles where people have been creative to carry a bike ... or two

Can we see any converted trailers, or horseboxes or similar vehicles where you can carry your bike and camp with more than just a tent
And if you have done a horse trailer conversion what were all the challenges and issues to overcome please

Of course security is an issue so you can hide any relevant details (such as the horses faces) to avoid any concerns

Thanks in advance
If a Hammer don't fix it - you have an electrical problem
catcitrus

Re: Bike trailers / camping conversions - let's see 'em

Post by catcitrus »

Just sold my 98 Fiat Scudo with 205 k on the clock and bought a 55 plate Citroen Dispatch-same basic spec---wheelchair access with a fold down ramp and a SINGLE passenger seat(very important)--registered as a van with windows--fully lined etc (windows will be tinted soon). The point is that you can literally RIDE ANY bike straight up the ramp, rest the front wheel between the front seats--4 tie downs to rear seat belt points and you are away in 5 minutes. I've had an R80 G/S and a 1050 tiger in--no screen removal etc. For this latest one I've made up a carpeted plywood, reinforced cover that drops over the floor well so that you have a flat area to sleep on. Underneath you have a spare wheel and all kinds of other stuff stored. For bike transport this cover secures to the vehicle side on one side and the spare wheel upright on the other. When you arrive wheel the bike out and drop the panel in for a nice insulated platform. I also have a big hoop awning for the rear or side, or a proper frame tent with detachable sock that goes from front to back and can be left standing whilst you drive away--the awning has its own 2 berth sleeping pod and still has enough room for table and chairs and a bike or two should you want to do some fettling. The Dispatch is not too big and with this setup is very versatile. I'm not into full blown campers and its easy enough to throw in enough to cook and shower with, plus a portable loo if required. I've just added twin 12v outlets in the rear so that you can charge a phone etc
bill_qaz

Post by bill_qaz »

my trailer.png
my trailer.png (464.79 KiB) Viewed 2641 times
Used to be a carpet cleaning company trailer.
Had wheel shoe to roll front wheel into and I also fitted storage shelf in front for gear.
Locked bike to tow bar then set up camp bed. Had fold down loading ramp and roller shutter for top quarter. You could lift ramp and secure with pull rope from inside and roller shutter open for ventilation and shut for bad weather. Translucent roof gave good light and fitted led interior lighting for night. I will post pic when site problem is fixed that's not allowing pictures to be added
Last edited by bill_qaz on Wed Jul 28, 2021 1:52 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Tonibe63

Post by Tonibe63 »

It'll need to be a big trailer.
The problem is that those who sleep with their horses have a lorry due to the need for space, horseboxes are just for horses.
A mate had an old 4 berth caravan which he converted so that the rear folded down into a ramp to get his enduro bike (ktm exc) in the back. He did manage to retain some equipment/comfort using the caravan interior but it wasn't very solid.
We have a Vivaro van with 2 road bikes in the back and use an airbeam tent which we may replace with a caravan for more comfort next year.
Open your eyes and you see what is in front of you, open your mind and you see a bigger picture but open your heart and you see a whole new World.
beddowsm

Post by beddowsm »

Just get a van and do a basic conversion.

ex 9 seater mini bus, seats ripped out. Fully lined. 2 hob burners, sink with 10L fresh water, 10L waste. Planer heater added for cold weather use.

Basic but does the job. And versatile. Got a foldable double bed in back. When folded I can get 2 bikes in the back. Still room for 5 passengers if needed. Double can also be folded and used as a single. So thats me sleeping (6 foot 5) and bike next to me. And got 2 foldable bunks that the kids use. So can be a 1,2,3 or 4 berth. Its tight with 4 but do'able. Done plenty of trips Europe and UK with all 4 of us plus dog!
beddowsm

Post by beddowsm »

Double.jpg
Double.jpg (81.38 KiB) Viewed 2690 times
Attachments
bike.JPG
bike.JPG (38.61 KiB) Viewed 2690 times
bike.JPG
bike.JPG (38.61 KiB) Viewed 2690 times
Last edited by beddowsm on Wed Jul 28, 2021 8:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
beddowsm

Post by beddowsm »

bunks.jpg
bunks.jpg (77.05 KiB) Viewed 2690 times
Single.jpg
Single.jpg (56.73 KiB) Viewed 2690 times
SingleFolded.jpg
SingleFolded.jpg (56.46 KiB) Viewed 2690 times
Tonibe63

Post by Tonibe63 »

What about a converted BT transit pickup body on a trailer chassis.
Here is a finished one on ebay no 313623878720
I can't seem to post a direct link
Open your eyes and you see what is in front of you, open your mind and you see a bigger picture but open your heart and you see a whole new World.
catcitrus

Post by catcitrus »

Wheelchair access Citroen Dispatch.
Attachments
IMG_20210801_135016.jpg
IMG_20210801_135016.jpg (137.95 KiB) Viewed 2495 times
IMG_20210801_133821.jpg
IMG_20210801_133821.jpg (166.45 KiB) Viewed 2495 times
IMG_20210801_133424.jpg
IMG_20210801_133424.jpg (147.35 KiB) Viewed 2495 times
Monster