Bike Rider Covid risk

Bikers and riding
johnnyboxer

Bike Rider Covid risk

Post by johnnyboxer »

Richard Simpson Mark II wrote:They are well under UK and USA in terms of death rate per 1000 population. Mind you their population is younger than ours, and covid kills mostly the old and infirm.
Probably the official stats are under reported - it’s in their government interest

Counting funeral pyres would be more accurate
We buy things we don't need

With money we don't have

To impress people we don't even like
bond_yzf

Re: Bike Rider Covid risk

Post by bond_yzf »

Jenniejester wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 7:33 am Large events like this cannot possibly be Covid safe, it’s impossible to police. If we continue as if nothing is going on and there is no pandemic, we are soon going to be in big trouble again. In fact, we already are! Lateral flow tests are a nonsense. Of course people want to go and enjoy themselves, but it’s not about individuals, it’s about who you pass it onto. The new variant is scarily transmissible. Let’s face it everyone let’s down their guard after a few beers
So what do you suggest? We button down the hatches and don't leave the house?

Have you ever considered that fear sells and maybe just maybe a lot of this is out of proportion.

Personally I'd rather live than regret not living.

This will be the festivals of all festivals and i like thousands of others have the upmost trust in the Abr to put things in place.
Richard Simpson Mark II

Post by Richard Simpson Mark II »

If we think back to last Summer, we had large crowds of people gathering on the coast of Dorset because they wanted a chav day out, and on the streets of London because they wanted to virtue signal and throw things at the police. No social distancing, masks, or personal hygiene. Piles and pools of human waste left behind.
We were told that many would become ill or die.
But nothing like that happened.
Fast-forward to the G7, just completed. Now we can accept that most of the people attending were not the most intelligent (if Boris is anything to go by), but they are better informed about Covid than most.
What did we see at the G7?
No masks, and lots of close proximity back-slapping, then careful 'social distance' posing for the stills cameras. Even the Queen, who is a very old lady, was there without a mask 'mixing' with the great and good.
Yes, it's a shame that Boris didn't close this country off to travel from India when he should, but I still don't think that Covid is a significant risk to healthy jabbed people attending an outdoor event. The scenario for indoors is rather different.
Richard Simpson Mark II

Ultimately, it's up to each one of us to choose what to do and what not to do.
But I wouldn't demand that a legal event with all safeguards in place is cancelled just because I didn't think I'd feel safe if I attended it.
There are millions of people out there, my wife included, who cannot do their jobs at the moment because of covid.
Some people and businesses are just watching the debt pile up and wondering if they can ever earn their way out of it, or whether they should just go bust. Financial hardship has health consequences too, and now the vulnerable have had the opportunity to protect themselves from covid we should start thinking about getting everything back to normal again...there's no point in waiting for covid to go away, we are stuck with it now.
Chalky723

Post by Chalky723 »

Please feel free to spend the rest of your days indoors - because Covid is here to stay, vulnerable people are vaccinated. It should move into a "Business as Usual" state soon as per Flu. But don't begrudge the rest of us wanting to actually live life.

As mentioned above, none of the outside events from last year, that were marked as "the end of days" by the usual suspects caused a spike - VE Day, Summer Days on the Beach, BBQs....

I'm looking forward to it and to meeting up with friends again!!!

D
Richard Simpson Mark II

With 99% of the vulnerable vaccinated, a third wave will not be noticed. We are going to have to live with this now, just as we do with the common cold (which is also a covid) or flu. Anyone who is worried should get the vaccine asap.
The flu outbreak of 1918 is now know to have killed more people than WWI did. But society did not shut down, and the danger passed. And that was without any vaccine at all.
The important lesson is more to take what goes on in China more seriously, and close borders sooner rather than too late the next time they let one go.
nathanthepostman

Post by nathanthepostman »

Great that the ABR team has been able to jump through the necessary hoops to make it happen. Hat off to them. Time to crack on with life. Worrying about the 'next' wave will leave us in a state of purgatory forever. See you all there.
Jak*

Post by Jak* »

Whilst I think it is great that the ABR festival is going ahead and I am sure that the organisers they will do their best to keep it safe, however in view of the escalating infection rate it does seem reasonable to offer refunds to those few who do not want to go. Some people are more vulnerable than others, have close relatives who are vulnerable, or have seen at close hand the horrific impacts. Bojo’s current moves seem to be to try and mitigate the damage caused by not putting India on the red list when he should. There were appeals for help in India long before he made that decision. The huge problem now is not the death rate it is the extra burden that the infection rate is placing on an NHS, that was struggling thanks to Tory cuts prior to Covid and is now on its knees. Every unnecessary Covid patient is another delay for those waiting for cancer treatment etc. Whilst the vast majority of the blame for our current situation can be placed with Bojo and his clowns, there is a prevalent selfish attitude in this country, as seen in the figures for those refusing vaccines and those who feel the need to hug and kiss strangers when their footie team manages to score a goal.
I hope the organisers and those going have a great time, I am hoping that ‘Angerland’ get through to that stage in The Euros so that I can go out and enjoy some empty lanes that weekend.
Oop North John

Post by Oop North John »

Jak* wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 1:15 pm I hope the organisers and those going have a great time, I am hoping that ‘Angerland’ get through to that stage in The Euros so that I can go out and enjoy some empty lanes that weekend.
I can remember when one of our exports, football hooliganism was so bad I hoped that my home country didn't qualify, so that there'd wouldn't be any no-go areas thanks to their exploits.

As others have said, life is a risk, and we all have to take some, but some are more affected by negative outcomes. Personally I'd not want to go given the current rates, but can understand those that do. YMMV.
bond_yzf

Post by bond_yzf »

Jenniejester wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 9:19 am And those people who cannot work won’t be able to for quite some time if we continue as we are entering a third wave and choosing to ignore it!!
Sorry but that's simply not goimg to happen and that's nothing more than scaremongering

Return to “ADVENTURE BIKE RIDER”