Bike on SORN

Bikers and riding
Dark Knight

Bike on SORN

Post by Dark Knight »

Got a letter from the DVLA today asking me if my 660Z was really off the road as it is currently on SORN.
This is a first, do you think that they are running short of money?
Richard Simpson Mark II

Re: Bike on SORN

Post by Richard Simpson Mark II »

In a word. YES
Tonibe63

Post by Tonibe63 »

Dark Knight wrote: Wed May 19, 2021 8:18 pm Got a letter from the DVLA today asking me if my 660Z was really off the road as it is currently on SORN.
This is a first, do you think that they are running short of money?
I was surprised to get the same letter today, harassment was the second thing that came into my mind ......... the first thought was "cheeky feckers".
Open your eyes and you see what is in front of you, open your mind and you see a bigger picture but open your heart and you see a whole new World.
Agent Orange

Post by Agent Orange »

It's about time they rethought the car tax being free or 30 quid on most cars, bloody stupid, I pay ninety for my bike.
There is an old adage.....how many times must a motorbike go along a road to create as much damage as a car...250,000 :o
EU emissions baffle me :?:
Richard Simpson Mark II

Post by Richard Simpson Mark II »

I suspect the 'real-world' toxic emissions from many bikes are terrible.
'Power commander' type interference with engine management systems and 'decat' exhausts with after-market cans appear to be the norm.
Sooner or later, the cat will be out of the bag on this one.
Bikes are about the only class of vehicle left which don't get emissions-tested at MoT. I wouldn't expect that situation to continue for ever.
lancashirelad

Post by lancashirelad »

We are our own worst enemy at times a “Satan’s Disciple” passed me in Rochdale yesterday & the noise shook my car, I don’t mind a fruity exhaust but to be honest noisy bike exhausts are getting out of hand.
***just like Britney Spears oops I did it again……sold the Scrambler & as of now there may not be a replacement***
mechanic

Post by mechanic »

I’ve received 2 of these in the last month. Never seen one before. Thought I’d done something wrong at first? 🙄
moto al

Post by moto al »

i received the same letter last week ,i thought it was a mistake. :oops:
moto al
Dark Knight

Post by Dark Knight »

Looks like someone has written some software to display how many bikes that you have and whether or not they are taxed.
Big brother is watching you.
In my case the 660Z is not on the road, althouth it has a valid MOT, is because I still have to check it over.
I check the bikes down to disassembling the calipers, cleaning them and measuring the remaining pad material with a micrometer, getting down towards 2 mm thick, I bin the pads.
Sound excessive, it could make the difference between you stopping or hitting something hard.
As far as I am concerned the MOT is just a double check, which you really need even if there was no MOT requirement.
Had an interesting discussion once with an MOT tester looking for work (you know the type), he suggested that the rear shock was leaking, so I advised him that I had spayed it with WD40 to stop corrosion, still looked doubtful, so told him easy to check, just taste it, the possible problem disappeared.
Jak*

Post by Jak* »

As far as I remember a SORN lasts for a year. To be honest I usually forget to do mine on time so actually a reminder through the post is a good thing in my book. As I get older I could do with a lot more of these, do you think they could send me one to remember to turn the garage light off?😀

Return to “ADVENTURE BIKE RIDER”