possible a2 changes to cc

Bikers and riding
dave h

possible a2 changes to cc

Post by dave h »

garyboy

Re: possible a2 changes to cc

Post by garyboy »

rules in the UK have become so complicated, changeable, and unnecessary , that people can almost be forgiven for not understanding them, and in sometimes ignoring them ... especially when the government themselves abuse the rules, or change them so that they can overcome/override them to suit big business?
garyboy

Post by garyboy »

I admit ... i lost track of `passing the bike test` .. when they changed it from simply being `250cc`
OnHellas

Post by OnHellas »

The motorcycle industry must have suffered greatly as it is so much more complicated to get a licence than for a car.

However, I am a supporter of learners being restricted to a 125cc and the CBT is certainly better than when I bought my first bike in the “off you go then” days pre CBT.

After that the complications come in. So many different routes to a full licence with differing power and power to weight restrictions.

But, loads of young people becoming a KSI (killed or seriously injured) statistic doesn’t help the motorcycle industry, or motorcyclings image, much good either.

I’m glad that I’ve got a full power full licence and I’m also glad that I’m not involved in the decision/law making process with regard to licensing.
minkyhead

Post by minkyhead »

pretty simple when you read through it
basically 17 to 19 20to 24 and over 24 a1 a2 and a

theres quite a few older riders who deffo wouldnt pass a mod 1 test ..basic handling ..not cos they cant because they have never been shown how to ride properly

the old rule was ruling out a lot of smaller 300cc bikes and in some cases forcing folks on to bigger machines than needed and when you 5ft 1 dripping wet and 7 stone it was a challange ...
for once its a step in the sensible direction theres no fundemental change to the test itself for example the new crf300s would be a suitable bike now light easier to learn on and manage .its a good move
Last edited by minkyhead on Thu Feb 11, 2021 11:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
whats the wether forcast ..wheres me map
catcitrus

Post by catcitrus »

They are proposing 250 cc rather than 395 cc which have to be detuned to meet the 35 kW MAX requirement--so basically a full fat 250 cc should be fine--makes sense to me?--the rules were out of date with modern power outputs and resulted in restricting washers etc having to be fitted. The rules state UP TO 35 kW.
garyboy

Post by garyboy »

minkyhead wrote: Thu Feb 11, 2021 11:25 am pretty simple when you read through it
basically 17 to 19 20to 24 and over 24 a1 a2 and a

theres quite a few older riders who deffo wouldnt pass a mod 1 test ..basic handling ..not cos they cant because they have never been shown how to ride properly

the old rule was ruling out a lot of smaller 300cc bikes and in some cases forcing folks on to bigger machines than needed and when you 5ft 1 dripping wet and 7 stone it was a challange ...
for once its a step in the sensible direction theres no fundemental change to the test itself
what you are saying makes good sense, Minky .... but why have age groups ... admittedly, youngsters tent to be wilder or, arguably, less competent, through inexperience ... but ...
CBT .. then a (one) pass on a suitable bike, surely ? is enough
`suitable` meaning any bike over 50cc ???? of own choice !!
yes.. it is seen as more dangerous to go from a small bike to a big powerful bike .. but
si is crossing the road
and polution saving? .. traffic easing on roads .. ecomomy ..etc ??
minkyhead

Post by minkyhead »

id say based on what ive seen in the last twenty years a progressive structure is a much better idea than no structure at all ..it could be simpler but better tan before ...saves lives ive no doubt about that

a while back i was speaking to a ex polce traffic sergeant who had retired and was doing a3 years dissatation at manchester uni ...he had studies the mc accidents in greater manchesster and brike it down to types groups ..he had some funding for post cbt training but sadly not enough to make it a commercially viable propersition

what he came up with was stagering

16/17 yar olds made up less than one percent of the manchester motorcycling total
but 21 percent of all two wheel fatalities

tough one but allowing bigger more powerful bikes with that amount of inexpieriance /road sense ..isnt going to improve that figure

thats it right there ,,,, in a nutshell
whats the wether forcast ..wheres me map
Flipflop

Post by Flipflop »

minkyhead wrote: Thu Feb 11, 2021 12:28 pm id say based on what ive seen in the last twenty years a progressive structure is a much better idea than no structure at all ..it could be simpler but better tan before ...saves lives ive no doubt about that

a while back i was speaking to a ex polce traffic sergeant who had retired and was doing a3 years dissatation at manchester uni ...he had studies the mc accidents in greater manchesster and brike it down to types groups ..he had some funding for post cbt training but sadly not enough to make it a commercially viable propersition

what he came up with was stagering

16/17 yar olds made up less than one percent of the manchester motorcycling total
but 21 percent of all two wheel fatalities

tough one but allowing bigger more powerful bikes with that amount of inexpieriance /road sense ..isnt going to improve that figure

thats it right there ,,,, in a nutshell
Personally, I believe that longer and better training for driving and riding is better than restricting power - although I would advocate lower powered bikes for the first 2 years post test.
The stats are interesting but generic. Take out the bike thieves from that percentage and I wonder how many of those poor youngsters were victims of not being seen rather than their own riding capabilities. There’s lots of young moped riders going to school, college, work on dark mornings and visiting friends, engaging in hobbies etc at night. Let’s face it they’re 16 so riding mopeds not superbikes.

I’ve always thought that driving training is just not comprehensive enough - your just taught how to pass your test and basic safety. I’ve been in a car with a few of my nieces and nephews, after they had passed their test, and they were diabolical.

I’ve always thought that young people should start training at 16 and that it should be a process of 2 years learning cars, motorcycles and small trucks. It’s all irrelevant now as autonomous vehicles are coming and we won’t need the ability to drive at all. Whether motorcycles will make it through will depend on manufacturers.

I fear E M Forster was right: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Machine_Stops
garyboy

Post by garyboy »

somehow .. i have never really believed that we will be riding self drive cars ... (and what about self drive motorbikes?) .... except in like a tram system .. a train of cars, plugged into a virtual drive route, guided and guarded by a standard tech system ... not so much an independent individual type drive thing?

but ya never know .. the modern advances (elon musk?) these days are amazing

Return to “ADVENTURE BIKE RIDER”