possible a2 changes to cc

Bikers and riding
Flipflop

Re: possible a2 changes to cc

Post by Flipflop »

Unfortunately, they are coming Gary.
I have a relative who works with one of the biggest tech companies in the world and he sees the things that are in development for the next 10-20 years.
I’m not saying they will be all vehicles in my lifetime but once these things start rolling they’re driven by financial possibility which is an unstoppable force.
mr_diver

Post by mr_diver »

They have made it near impossible to get a youths into riding.

You can have a scooter to get around on when your 16 but then you look at what you can get passing your 125cc test at 17.
Give up on the idea of bikes and pass your car test ASAP.

You pass a test on a 125cc at 17. Can ride a 125cc without L plates and with passenger.

Then pass another test on 125cc at 19 and can ride upto a 250cc (ish)

At 21 pass another test and get to ride upto a 500cc ish (47hp)

Finally at 24 you can do a test on a 600cc and ride anything you can afford to pay the insurance on.

There is no incentive to stick with bikes when your old enough to take a car test anymore.

Loads of my biking mates (including my dad) that passed their test around the time I did a Direct Access passed on 125cc, rode upto a 250cc for 2 year at which point their licence "matured" and they were able to go out and buy that Hayabusa.

Simple.

Why make things so fecking hard???

Because policy makers have to do something to justify their pay checks and making thinks hard for others is just the perfect way to do it. ffs!

Glad I was over 24 and Did a DAS. The mrs too. I explained the staged tests to her a while back and she told me to "stop, my head hurts more than when I was doing the tests!"

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

The Rantings of A Crazed Lunatic.

Dark Knight

Post by Dark Knight »

It makes no sense when you can pass a car test and then drive any car with unlimited CC and power.
It just shows you that the people in control (Winterhouse?) are really worried about the kind of people that ride motorbikes.
After all they get around a lot, talk to a lot of people and are the kind of peole that are not easily frightened off easily.
Of course its a mistake, these sort of people will always exist, they are just driving them out of sight.
Yoyo

Post by Yoyo »

It's a very complex process but a youngster can ride a full power bike at 21. CBT at 17, full test (A2) at 19 then full A class at 21.

All thw tests are a great money spinner for the DVSA.

Sent from my ELE-L29 using Tapatalk

mr_diver

Post by mr_diver »

Yeah I have to agree there.

MOD1 FAIL, REPEAT, FAIL, REPEAT.

A single part test is a lot to plan for but you only had to pass one test.
My dad passed before the 2 part practical came in as he didn't think he could pass with the 2 part.

Mod1 in a controlled environment is a safety improvement. Some of the riders I've seen doing their test were no where near ready.
But if they come off or drop the bike, hit a cone ect at least they don't get run over by a truck.

But the stages where you have to pass a test to go bigger need to go. It's off putting to youngsters looking to get a bigger bike in the future.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

The Rantings of A Crazed Lunatic.

Snaf MKII

Post by Snaf MKII »

Looking back at my youth I was more in to cars for going fast and bikes for the dirt so never had a big bike until my late 20's.
How many here had a 500cc+ bike before they were 21, most that i recall of my age had 250's or smaller.
Yoyo

Post by Yoyo »

I like the 2 part practical test, lots of people struggle with slow control and having Mod 1 gives them a chance to only worry that. With a one part test its very easy to dread the u turn all the way around your test, yes they should be trained to a high standard but the mod1 takes away that one worry.

Sent from my ELE-L29 using Tapatalk

minkyhead

Post by minkyhead »

just to clear a few points up ...you can ride a46.6hp bike at 19 after passing that includes any machine that make no more than twice that power resticted ... so any bike not more than 93hp after two years you can retake on the bike unrestricted yourself and have a class a at21

the new test aint so new 2010 ...and ive obviusly been in the game before and after

my own view of the new test is that it does require a better standard of control to pass ..so lets be honest if you have a wife son daughter setting off for a licence ..would you prefer the easier test ..? or the one that produces better control ..

lots of opinions about it but it would be fair to say if you cant pass a mod 1 there are some fundamental handling skills missing ...and the person undertaking it is qualifying to take a passanger ....?

id say the number one mod 1 fails are the slow handling ..figure of 8 u turn followed close by the emergency swerve
so what you do is instead of thinking about a figure of 8 think about what would be happening at a mini roundabout at the bottom of a steep hill ...err like on one of the test routes? failure to keep control of the rear brake or running wide are not a option in the real world

similar who cares about a u turn ...but again its more about setting off getting control and turning tightly ...the new one iseasier 23.5 feet against 21 feet no cambers no kerbs on a machine that will turn usually around16 ..or a 125 that will turn in 11? ..so to be fair its about control not going wide ..and lets be honest when you look at it it is far from a unreasonble ask ...if a person cant turn a mt07 in 23 feet how the heck are they gonna manage that harley ?

anyway its easy to knock the test and some things could be better for sure but i do think its a better product than before
Last edited by minkyhead on Wed Feb 17, 2021 11:12 am, edited 2 times in total.
whats the wether forcast ..wheres me map
Richard Simpson Mark II

Post by Richard Simpson Mark II »

I turned 17 in 1977.

One guy I know took his test on his 17th birthday, and was out on a Norton Commando the next day.

750 or 850?

Nah, one with an engine fitted with a 950 sidecar cross kit! He had at least one serious accident on it, but it didn't kill him.

Not having a rich Dad, I couldn't insure anything over 350. By the time I could afford a new bike the Japanese 350s were all 400s, so I got a Moto Morini 3 1/2 Strada, which had a certain amount of 'cred', and while it wasn't very fast handled better than most other bikes of the time.
Chalky723

Post by Chalky723 »

I did the restricted test on a 125.

Pootled around on a GPZ305 & then "restricted" Diversion 600 for 2 years & it then morphed into a full licence.

I can't honestly see why that had to change....

Especially given that car licences aren't based on power at all.

D

Return to “ADVENTURE BIKE RIDER”