roadbook creator, which one?

Bikers and riding
bikenav

Re: roadbook creator, which one?

Post by bikenav »

Spent quite a long time creating a 40km route, road and trail on the computer with the free basic Rally Navigator by the end of that started to get the hang of it even if the available icons are less relevant to Wales than The Baja Peninsular. I was quite pleased with the results with 80 tulips for the 40K, named the file and placed it the My roadbooks section in my new account. To the mobile phone, downloaded the free app signed in to my account and there is my masterpiece in the memory fantasticico. So lets start scrolling, OK I did not expect to see all the icons and details but thought the tulips would be reasonably indicitive of what I had so carefully created but No Cigar the directions have lost all their accuracy making this useless. Conclusion, as best I can tell the free version is completely useless, If your willing to pay as said above for the sub and you would probably need some kind of remote scroll control for your device, apparently available, If you then have some mates or some kind of event to organize for this could add some fun for sure, if others are prepared to pay and prep the kit also. If anyone has tried any other software I would be interested in their thoughts, will look some more if/when my enthusiasm returns. thanks for the input.
kickstart

Post by kickstart »

Rally navigator is very good just a couple of tips

keep storing your work by using the save to button

use it in google chrome as not all the stuff works using other browsers
HarveyCamm

Post by HarveyCamm »

bikenav wrote: Wed Jan 27, 2021 12:00 am Spent quite a long time creating a 40km route, road and trail on the computer with the free basic Rally Navigator by the end of that started to get the hang of it even if the available icons are less relevant to Wales than The Baja Peninsular. I was quite pleased with the results with 80 tulips for the 40K, named the file and placed it the My roadbooks section in my new account. To the mobile phone, downloaded the free app signed in to my account and there is my masterpiece in the memory fantasticico. So lets start scrolling, OK I did not expect to see all the icons and details but thought the tulips would be reasonably indicitive of what I had so carefully created but No Cigar the directions have lost all their accuracy making this useless. Conclusion, as best I can tell the free version is completely useless, If your willing to pay as said above for the sub and you would probably need some kind of remote scroll control for your device, apparently available, If you then have some mates or some kind of event to organize for this could add some fun for sure, if others are prepared to pay and prep the kit also. If anyone has tried any other software I would be interested in their thoughts, will look some more if/when my enthusiasm returns. thanks for the input.
There's a known issue / bug with the free phone app version which I've been told by Mike the guy that runs it should be sorted in a few weeks time
Web site looked like this
RN Web.jpg
RN Web.jpg (43.12 KiB) Viewed 2458 times
phone showed this
RN App.jpg
RN App.jpg (26.2 KiB) Viewed 2458 times
Is that what you got? Lets hope it is sorted soon

Cheers
Harv
bikenav

Post by bikenav »

Exactly that Harv, thanks for taking the trouble, if you become aware that it has been updated stick up an update, I will do like wise, and play a little again. I like the idea of a play with this kinda thing just for the fun of it and to add something new to the riding experience appeals to me. For me as a currently diehard Garmin (montana) user I have no phone hardware on the bike so I would need a second phone, mount, scrolly thingy to make it work. As someone who occasionally helps out with rideouts at events, hypothetically would there be any common interest in something based around this technology at an ABR rally for example. Thoughts anybody?
Snaf MKII

Post by Snaf MKII »

bikenav wrote: Sat Feb 06, 2021 1:51 pm As someone who occasionally helps out with rideouts at events, hypothetically would there be any common interest in something based around this technology at an ABR rally for example. Thoughts anybody?
I'm always interested in any navigation event that uses anything a but a thin blue line on a GPS.
HarveyCamm

Post by HarveyCamm »

Snaf MKII wrote: Sat Feb 06, 2021 3:23 pm
bikenav wrote: Sat Feb 06, 2021 1:51 pm As someone who occasionally helps out with rideouts at events, hypothetically would there be any common interest in something based around this technology at an ABR rally for example. Thoughts anybody?
I'm always interested in any navigation event that uses anything a but a thin blue line on a GPS.
Hey Snaf Mk2 have you looked at these guys ? https://rallymoto.co.uk/

Harv
Snaf MKII

Post by Snaf MKII »

HarveyCamm wrote: Mon Feb 08, 2021 10:47 am
Snaf MKII wrote: Sat Feb 06, 2021 3:23 pm
Hey Snaf Mk2 have you looked at these guys ? https://rallymoto.co.uk/

Harv
Yes, I did one of the roadbook events a few years back but was less interested in the speed element. I see that they have moved away from that and offer a more technical navigation challenge.
Ksithumper

Post by Ksithumper »

bikenav wrote: Sat Feb 06, 2021 1:51 pm Exactly that Harv, thanks for taking the trouble, if you become aware that it has been updated stick up an update, I will do like wise, and play a little again. I like the idea of a play with this kinda thing just for the fun of it and to add something new to the riding experience appeals to me. For me as a currently diehard Garmin (montana) user I have no phone hardware on the bike so I would need a second phone, mount, scrolly thingy to make it work. As someone who occasionally helps out with rideouts at events, hypothetically would there be any common interest in something based around this technology at an ABR rally for example. Thoughts anybody?
What I did was to save the route as a .pdf, then open that on your phone with a .pdf reader. It shows everything and scrolls through exactly like a paper roadbook. Works for now until they get the free mobile reader working.
bikenav

Post by bikenav »

thanks for that tip, it seems though there is only a little interest in this kind of thing so will keep it on the back burner, if I get involved with anything this year and there is the opportunity perhaps I will put the feelers out at that time.
Ksithumper

Post by Ksithumper »

I've got a 200 mile road route in planning for a fun sightseeing day with some mates in the summer. I sent them a 5 miler roadbook taste and they are all entirely up for it.

The gpx route is plotted, started on the roadbook last night (ideal time - too cold in the garage, nothing on the telly). Its pretty quick and easy once you get the hang of it, I think the trick on a road route is not make every tiny junction a waypoint unless you actually have to make a turn.

Not that I need one, but I also have an excuse for a day out on the bike to test/refine the route as soon as we're allowed out ;-) .

Let you know how it goes. I think people at the ABR rally etc would love a rallybook ride-out.

Return to “ADVENTURE BIKE RIDER”