roadbook creator, which one?

Bikers and riding
Snaf MKII

Re: roadbook creator, which one?

Post by Snaf MKII »

Which program are you you using to create a RB Mr KSI?
I have a Devon RB when you're allowed to visit again which I'm tempted to run as some sort of event for invited guests :-)
bikenav

Post by bikenav »

Ksithumper wrote: Fri Feb 19, 2021 9:00 am I've got a 200 mile road route in planning for a fun sightseeing day with some mates in the summer. I sent them a 5 miler roadbook taste and they are all entirely up for it.

The gpx route is plotted, started on the roadbook last night (ideal time - too cold in the garage, nothing on the telly). Its pretty quick and easy once you get the hang of it, I think the trick on a road route is not make every tiny junction a waypoint unless you actually have to make a turn.

Not that I need one, but I also have an excuse for a day out on the bike to test/refine the route as soon as we're allowed out ;-) .

Let you know how it goes. I think people at the ABR rally etc would love a rallybook ride-out.
the general convention in navigation is to stay on the road untill instructed to do differently so when passing a junction a tulip instruction is generally not necessary, but you may put one in if the junction is not obvious or tricky in some way or after a longer stretch as a confirmation tulip, if you were trying to make it a challenge clearly tricky junctions etc will be what you are after, then accuracy creating tulips is paramount. reading posts on other plateforms it is quite surprising how much people want their routing spoon feed to them, the satnav "twisty roaders" . I did leave an open ended post as to the interest to RB stuff not a lot of response perhaps try another time with that as the title. An option might be to throw in a couple of simple treasure hunt style questions as proof of passage of correct route. Good luck with your event, will be interested to hear what you learn from it.
Ksithumper

Post by Ksithumper »

Snaf MKII wrote: Fri Feb 19, 2021 9:29 am Which program are you you using to create a RB Mr KSI?
I have a Devon RB when you're allowed to visit again which I'm tempted to run as some sort of event for invited guests :-)
Based on Chris M's recent facebook post and Grouty's comments you'd better suggest a date then Snaf. I need a good pasty :D
Snaf MKII

Post by Snaf MKII »

Ksithumper wrote: Fri Feb 19, 2021 6:21 pm
Snaf MKII wrote: Fri Feb 19, 2021 9:29 am Which program are you you using to create a RB Mr KSI?
Based on Chris M's recent facebook post and Grouty's comments you'd better suggest a date then Snaf. I need a good pasty :D
Here's one to be going on with :-) until we're allowed to congregate in the street again.
Classic weekend 011.jpg
Classic weekend 011.jpg (106.08 KiB) Viewed 1716 times
Snaf MKII

Post by Snaf MKII »

I've found a licenced copy of this software on my spare PC, there's no app and it's 12+ years old but still works. I'll put some simple routes together for Devon if anyone wants to try it out using the PDF option on a phone.
https://www.wetexx.de/roadbook-assistant
Slowboy

Post by Slowboy »

Snaf MKII wrote: Sat Feb 20, 2021 10:48 am
Ksithumper wrote: Fri Feb 19, 2021 6:21 pm
Here's one to be going on with :-) until we're allowed to congregate in the street again.
Classic weekend 011.jpg
I thought I remembered a call to get the South Hams Militia out a while ago.

:D
Small bike traveller

CRF250 Rally
C90
C125 Super Cub
bowber

Post by bowber »

I've done a few of the rallymoto events, good fun and while you don't need to go fast you can't hang around too much either.
I've been wondering about doing a fun event or two but I didn't want to fall foul of insurance etc so I've not bothered.
Maybe a group of friends can get away with taking turns creating routes?

Steve
bikenav

Post by bikenav »

bowber wrote: Sun Feb 21, 2021 8:44 pm I've done a few of the rallymoto events, good fun and while you don't need to go fast you can't hang around too much either.
I've been wondering about doing a fun event or two but I didn't want to fall foul of insurance etc so I've not bothered.
Maybe a group of friends can get away with taking turns creating routes?

Steve
Provisionally In, we would need a common plateform, for myself I have no hardware as yet, cost would be an important factor. Even if I do not go down the road of getting a user setup on my bike for myself, I would be happy to put a route together for an "invited" group around my local patch.
Ksithumper

Post by Ksithumper »

It seems that the free smartphone app reader for Rally Roadbook is now working fully.
Better still, it happily responds to my £8 ebay bluetooth controller, so I can now scroll through the roadbook as I ride without having to swipe the actual screen.
Better better, the BT controller also adjust the odo up/down, so I can correct any mileage errors (accumulated slight roadbook errors and/or me being a numpty and getting lost) on the fly too.
Impressive. I'll try it out at the weekend...on a pushbike :(
Snaf MKII

Post by Snaf MKII »

Ksithumper wrote: Mon Mar 01, 2021 6:15 pm It seems that the free smartphone app reader for Rally Roadbook is now working fully.
Better still, it happily responds to my £8 ebay bluetooth controller, so I can now scroll through the roadbook as I ride without having to swipe the actual screen.
Better better, the BT controller also adjust the odo up/down, so I can correct any mileage errors (accumulated slight roadbook errors and/or me being a numpty and getting lost) on the fly too.
Impressive. I'll try it out at the weekend...on a pushbike :(
Which BT controller did you buy, I bought one but it doesn't work that well.

Return to “ADVENTURE BIKE RIDER”