A bike and a lych-gate

Bikers and riding
hotbulb

A bike and a lych-gate

Post by hotbulb »

Extremely wet and windy day yesterday in Mid-Wales, but my wife and I ventured out from where we were staying during a brief lull, to visit the bird sanctuary at Dinas, Ystradffin. (In the car, I should add). As we left, amid further heavy rain, we were surprised, and impressed, to see that at least one brave soul was out on his bike...... or at least sat on a folding stool sheltering, with his Suzuki (DR?) nearby, under the lych-gate of St Paulinus' church at Ystradffin, just below the Llyn Brianne dam. Well done, for braving the elements, and for creative use of church architecture!
dodursley

Re: A bike and a lych-gate

Post by dodursley »

Perhaps he was doing the Hereford/Mid Wales VMCC Cwmpas challenge, visiting locations throughout Mid Wales as the dam is on the list
Cwmpas Regs issue 7.pdf
(616.2 KiB) Downloaded 127 times
Cwmpas waypoints (003).pdf
(58.76 KiB) Downloaded 132 times
not my section but have been waiting for dryer weather before giving it a go.
hotbulb

Post by hotbulb »

You could be right, Dod ... although he picked the wrong day, weatherwise :shock: I don't have an old-enough machine to enter, but I might be tempted to try the route anyway.

The previous checkpoint, the chapel at Cefn Gorwydd, is very familiar: half my father's family are buried there.
dodursley

Post by dodursley »

If I do that route past the dam up to Devils Bridge I will use my 99 Africa, which does not VMCC qualify, as it is more comfortable than my 92 transalp for long runs as it will be a 10+ hours (300 miles) trip from home. But as the weather is not very good and days are shortening I may leave it until next summer.
It appears that they will arrange Mid Wales Cwmpas, Hereford Compass & Hereford Edge challenges next year if allowed.
see https://www.facebook.com/VMCCHerefordshire/
dodursley

Post by dodursley »

Did it yesterday on the Africa but did a more eastern set of locations, including the chapel, so missed the dam as the sky looked very black & the forest roads would be very slow after the bad weather. Most roads quiet except around Rhayader many GS & KTM.

Return to “ADVENTURE BIKE RIDER”