insure bike on EU license become an issue now?

Bikers and riding
daveuprite

Re: insure bike on EU license become an issue now?

Post by daveuprite »

Tourider wrote: Wed Apr 22, 2020 6:47 pm You should have changed your licence to a UK licence after 6 months of being in the country, no need for another test, nothing to do with Brexit. You've been driving illegally in the UK since then, you've obviously not had to claim on any policy in that time because the insurance company would have cheerfully pointed this out had you tried to claim.
An EU driving licence holder is legally allowed to drive in any other EU country until they are 70 years old. They don't need to exchange their driving licence because they already have an EU-wide valid licence.

There is only one recent exception, and that is entirely due to brexit. i.e: Once the UK's brexit transition period is over the freedom of all EU residents to drive on their EU driving licences may change, as the UK becomes a third country outside of the EU. And all UK citizens living in EU countries may have to exchange their licences if required by the local authorities where they live, due to the fact that they are no longer EU member state citizens.
mjojom

Re: insure bike on EU license become an issue now?

Post by mjojom »

daveuprite wrote: Wed Apr 22, 2020 7:08 pm
Tourider wrote: Wed Apr 22, 2020 6:47 pm You should have changed your licence to a UK licence after 6 months of being in the country, no need for another test, nothing to do with Brexit. You've been driving illegally in the UK since then, you've obviously not had to claim on any policy in that time because the insurance company would have cheerfully pointed this out had you tried to claim.
sadly forums are full of people without the correct knowledge on the subject and they try to wrongly advice people...
your "answer " is meaningless since i was not asking if im legal to drive/ride here..
I bet you have voted for brexit too, just did not learn the implications of it yet, same as with the misinformation you passed above.

An EU driving licence holder is legally allowed to drive in any other EU country until they are 70 years old. They don't need to exchange their driving licence because they already have an EU-wide valid licence.

There is only one recent exception, and that is entirely due to brexit. i.e: Once the UK's brexit transition period is over the freedom of all EU residents to drive on their EU driving licences may change, as the UK becomes a third country outside of the EU. And all UK citizens living in EU countries may have to exchange their licences if required by the local authorities where they live, due to the fact that they are no longer EU member state citizens.
this is correct, thank you. it is what is on dvla website, easy to read for everybody. long ago, it used to be that license was valid only for 6 months, but simple travel across the pond would restart the "counter" again.

Return to “ADVENTURE BIKE RIDER”