Jupiter's Travels - again

Bikers and riding
hotbulb

Re: Jupiter's Travels - again

Post by hotbulb »

Currently reading "Dreaming of Jupiter" .... I enjoy Ted's books. "Rolling through the isles" is good, too.
McVicar

Post by McVicar »

Never heard of it before, but at £2.99 for a kindle version I'm giving it a go.
Womble

Post by Womble »

Interested to hear there's a Kindle version, will give that a go. I last read it as a spotty student (at Oxford don't you know) in 1983. I'd like to say it inspired me, it did to get out on the bike, but never managed anything further than Europe! Sadly lent my copy to a friend who became a vicar... never got it back! :lol:
Enfield Himalayan... apparently they're Marmite... not keen on Marmite, but like Vegemite
YBR125... the little adventure steed of awesomeness
mark vb

Post by mark vb »

I always had my suspicions about vicars! After re-reading JT's for the umpteenth time, I've just finished re-reading Riding High (various bits not included in JT's, plus settling into 'normal' life after the trip) and also Dreaming of Jupiter (the trip re-run some 26 years later on a GS80). For some reason, they're always great re-reads for me, every time. Probably'd be my Mastermind special subject....
HoboBeemer

Post by HoboBeemer »

Like many I have read it more times than I can count and I think I have done it in one sitting more than once.

I also enjoyed the book of his second trip.

I once went "Up north" to Coventry was it?, to the transport museum where the first bike is on show and that was worth the trip to such a iconic piece, I think they had Charlies Bimmer up there also.

Another book that I enjoyed and didnt think I would was Dan Walsh's (Ex Bike magazine) RTW trip with some really honest self questioning that took place but it seems few people know about this book??.

Another author I enjoyed was Alistair Humphrey, he cycled around the world for 4 years and did two books, one being called "Moods of future joys", well worth a flick through if you have time on your hands, but obviously reading and enjoying anything is subjective.

We may well have a lack of new books in the coming years thanks to the current climate we find ourselves in.
daveuprite

Post by daveuprite »

HoboBeemer wrote: Wed Jun 10, 2020 12:22 pm
Another book that I enjoyed and didnt think I would was Dan Walsh's (Ex Bike magazine) RTW trip with some really honest self questioning that took place but it seems few people know about this book??.
He wrote really well, and painfully candid as you say. He basically split up with his partner, dropped everything and buggered off; then shared it all with us in excruciating detail.

https://www.amazon.com/These-Days-That- ... 1846053110
simonw

Post by simonw »

Brilliant book, brilliant title.
mark vb

Post by mark vb »

HoboBeemer wrote: Wed Jun 10, 2020 12:22 pm Another book that I enjoyed and didnt think I would was Dan Walsh's (Ex Bike magazine) RTW trip with some really honest self questioning that took place but it seems few people know about this book??.
I remember Dan Walsh's ramblings well in Bike magazine, and I mean that in a nice way as his style of writing was, can I say, different. I read parts of his RTW account as and when it was serialised in the mag. Didn't realise there was a book - I'll endeavour to get hold of a copy. I seem to recall it was an XT600 he used for the trip?
HoboBeemer

Post by HoboBeemer »

mark vb wrote: Wed Jun 10, 2020 1:12 pm
HoboBeemer wrote: Wed Jun 10, 2020 12:22 pm Another book that I enjoyed and didnt think I would was Dan Walsh's (Ex Bike magazine) RTW trip with some really honest self questioning that took place but it seems few people know about this book??.
I remember Dan Walsh's ramblings well in Bike magazine, and I mean that in a nice way as his style of writing was, can I say, different. I read parts of his RTW account as and when it was serialised in the mag. Didn't realise there was a book - I'll endeavour to get hold of a copy. I seem to recall it was an XT600 he used for the trip?
I believe it was a BMW 650 Dakar that Dan used?, maybe he did another trip on a XT600, I know one of the other writers at Bike I think his name was Damian L'Anson or something to that guise did a mammoth trip on a XT660 around 2003-4?, I think he rode out to ride the highest road in the world somewhere in the Himalayas with a Indian gentlemen. He then entered and won a FIM rally race in the region.

The issue when all these books and events happened was that there was a ton of cash flowing into the bike industry making it all possible but in the early 2000's there was bugger all internet, or certainly not anything like we have now so nothing was archived for future reading unless you either have a copy of a Magazine or a book that maybe out of print.
Brewers Whoop

Post by Brewers Whoop »

After seeing this thread, I've dug it out and am re-reading it again for the umpteenth time. Still find passages I'd forgotten I'd read, and still as inspiring as ever. Love his writing style. So thank you, OP.

Return to “ADVENTURE BIKE RIDER”