Jupiter's Travels - again

Bikers and riding
Flipflop

Re: Jupiter's Travels - again

Post by Flipflop »

Just started reading Steph Jeavons ‘Back by seven’.
She also did a 4 year RTW trip. So far her writing and story is excellent.
mark vb

Post by mark vb »

Flipflop wrote: Sun Sep 06, 2020 11:16 am Just started reading Steph Jeavons ‘Back by seven’.
She also did a 4 year RTW trip. So far her writing and story is excellent.
That's a book I've added to my list of reads after seeing/hearing her on the recent Armchair (i.e. on-line) Adventure Festival event, hosted by the irrepressible 'Sidecar Guys' whose book - about their RTW by scooter & sidecar - I've also just got.
Flipflop

Post by Flipflop »

Indeed, that slog through Russia was something else.
gbags

Post by gbags »

daveuprite wrote: Wed Jun 10, 2020 12:41 pm
HoboBeemer wrote: Wed Jun 10, 2020 12:22 pm
Another book that I enjoyed and didnt think I would was Dan Walsh's (Ex Bike magazine) RTW trip with some really honest self questioning that took place but it seems few people know about this book??.
He wrote really well, and painfully candid as you say. He basically split up with his partner, dropped everything and buggered off; then shared it all with us in excruciating detail.

https://www.amazon.com/These-Days-That- ... 1846053110
I loved this book! Gritty, honest, very rock and roll.
Triplog

Post by Triplog »

Another one is Oisin Hughes RTW trip documented in "That I May Die Roaming" and "Not Dead Yet" but an excellent video series on YouTube. A naturally gifted storyteller and a really good watch.
catcitrus

Post by catcitrus »

A vote for Elspeth Beard--who did a RTW back in the early 80s on a R60(Lone rider)--another great read--from an era WITHOUT mobiles, Satnavs and all the other shit. She started by learning how to maintain and fix her bike--she had a wiring meltdown, diode board breakdown, condenser failure etc--and coped well--including recovering and rebuilding the bike from a crash or two, having no real maps in places, working to pay her way, MAKING her own panniers and top box on the way. When she eventually got home she stripped and rebuilt the old BM again--all in her early 20s. She is a well qualified architect and I believe a film might eventually be coming 40 years on!. I've spoken to the sidecar guys at the OVERLAND event, and to be frank they are pretty inept mechanically by their own admission, like some other travellers--goodness knows how they expected to cope--but of course they did because they had to to survive.
Flipflop

Post by Flipflop »

Finished Steph Jeavons ‘Home By Seven’.
My favourite travel book to date (and I’ve read loads, not just moto ones) and possibly my favourite book of any genre ( I read a lot of different genres).
When I finished it I read the first paragraph again and was going to continue reading the whole book for a second time. However, I have now decided to read a couple of other books, of totally different genres, then go back and read it slowly - it really is a page turner.
Flipflop

Post by Flipflop »

catcitrus wrote: Mon Sep 28, 2020 10:59 am A vote for Elspeth Beard--who did a RTW back in the early 80s on a R60(Lone rider)--another great read--from an era WITHOUT mobiles, Satnavs and all the other shit. She started by learning how to maintain and fix her bike--she had a wiring meltdown, diode board breakdown, condenser failure etc--and coped well--including recovering and rebuilding the bike from a crash or two, having no real maps in places, working to pay her way, MAKING her own panniers and top box on the way. When she eventually got home she stripped and rebuilt the old BM again--all in her early 20s. She is a well qualified architect and I believe a film might eventually be coming 40 years on!. I've spoken to the sidecar guys at the OVERLAND event, and to be frank they are pretty inept mechanically by their own admission, like some other travellers--goodness knows how they expected to cope--but of course they did because they had to to survive.
Spoken to her a couple of times - she’s very nice.

Return to “ADVENTURE BIKE RIDER”