Biker with Ear Problem

Bikers and riding
NoobBiker101

Biker with Ear Problem

Post by NoobBiker101 »

Hi!

I really love to ride bikes but the problem is I have sensitive ears that are prone to tinnitus(minor case). Just bought a pair of noise reduction ear plugs/ear piece and they do not fit well in my ears. I'm planning to get new ones but I'm torn between these two brands: https://www.bigearinc.com/products/moto ... ear-plugs/ and https://pinlock.com/products/earplugs/.

First one is a company that offers customized ear protection and the second one had good reviews online. The thing is...I think I have an uneven ear canal and I'm not sure if a pair of generic plugs would be very useful. I just hope you can help me decide what to buy.

P.S. I'm open to all your suggestions.

Thanks!
zimtim

Re: Biker with Ear Problem

Post by zimtim »

I also suffer with tinnitus, and honestly have found the Moldex
Earplugs best option
https://www.fireprotectiononline.co.uk/ ... pcQAvD_BwE

The problem is that if you cancel too much noise then the tinnitus is worse, and really annoying.
Allowing some noise through reduces the amount of tinnitus I sense.
Oop North John

Post by Oop North John »

Agreed that too much external noise cancelling is counter productive, so tend to like having music playing as it means I hear what I want to. I'm sure that there was a link to some fairly cheap in ear monitors a while back, but haven't been able to find it :(
Hugh

Post by Hugh »

Greetings,

I too have minor intervals of tinnitus and put it down to my stupid brain over compensating for the loss of the higher register sounds and for which it keeps searching so makes up it's own!

I do not find any help from wearing ear plugs but do go along with playing music in the background as a positive distraction. Unfortunately, we are simply 'closing the door after the horse has bolted', so you younger ones protect your hearing now :lol:

TTFN

Hugh.
qcnr

Post by qcnr »

I simply use the disposable foam earplugs. But then again I can grab handfulls from work.
Also have tinitus after a car accident, and yes silence is horrible... ☹️
bowber

Post by bowber »

I've tried all sorts of ear plugs but never the expensive custom ones. My problem is I hate the lack of feedback caused by them, that along with the screen on the bike, often gives me a feeling of detachment from riding. however I've suffered hearing loss from riding bikes and other noisy work/hobbies so it's better to get used to some sort of noise reduction.
The best I've found so far have been the disposable christmas tree type ones, they seem to knock the noise down enough to help but also let enough through that I don't feel detached, plus I don't notice them after a while.
I also prefer helmets that don't muffle noise too much, I've found Arai's are quite good.
Very weird I know but we're all individuals ;-)

Steve
daveuprite

Post by daveuprite »

bowber wrote: Thu May 30, 2019 11:36 am Very weird I know but we're all individuals ;-)
Yes we are all individuals!

kev.t

Post by kev.t »

qcnr wrote: Thu May 30, 2019 10:22 am I simply use the disposable foam earplugs. But then again I can grab handfulls from work.
Also have tinitus after a car accident, and yes silence is horrible... ☹️
snap, the soft rounded end type, they don't stop all the noise but it is noticeable at the end of the ride when you take them out and can still hear.
Slowlycatchymonkey

Post by Slowlycatchymonkey »

Custom plugs with filters do the best job of protecting your hearing but take a while to get used to. They are only now discovering the extent motorcycling has damaged peeps hearing. Thanks to the large cohort of baby boomers that ride and didn’t wear earplugs they are now able to study the long term deafening effects of motorbike noise.
You’re born with all the tiny little hearing hairs in your ear you’re ever going to have. They don’t regrow of repair themselves and damage is slow and progressive so by the time you notice your hearing is damaged it’s too late. For this reason I’m happy to spend money on ear plugs. Being deaf is isolating and difficult. If someone said you need to spend £100 to protect your eyes from blindness you wouldn’t hesitate but some reason I can’t fathom people merrily squander their hearing right up to the point it’s too late.
I prefer customs with filters because you want still want to be able to hear the exhaust just with the damaging frequencies cut out. I actually think my exhaust note is better with them in.
If you do go for customs whatever company you choose make sure the filters are removable. My first pair were from the hospitals audiology dept, they were extremely expensive (double the usual price) and the filter is moulded into the plug so you can’t wash or clean them properly which is useless for something that goes in a waxy orifice!
I’m not struck on the ones you’ve linked to, too fiddly with pokey put bits that are easily lost.
I went with these folk in the end. https://mercurycustomplugs.com/ and I think cost me £75 at a show.
The extra filters (I have blanks and ones for shooting) were £20 each
Good luck finding a solution that suits you.
ps ask for them to be cut low to the ear. I had some that were too big and were uncomfortable with my helmet on.
Toe

Post by Toe »

Slowlycatchymonkey wrote: Fri May 31, 2019 2:21 pm Custom plugs with filters do the best job of protecting your hearing but take a while to get used to.
I went with these folk in the end. https://mercurycustomplugs.com/ and I think cost me £75 at a show.
I found a Mercury stand at Oulton BSB and had the moulds done there and then. Dropped onto my doormat 2 weeks later and they have been great! They also keep your moulds for discounts on future purchases. I've got the bog standard 'pro plug' which you can just hear someone speaking loudly when kitted up.
I was using Moldex foam ones up until then of which I now keep a couple of pairs in a tiny tub in my jacket for 'just incase' but will always use the Mercury ones if I can.
If it is just for riding and you do reasonable milage (and can't nick foam ones from work!) then my opinion now is foam are a false economy. They start losing effectiveness/elasticity after the first use so should be single use which means you have to keep buying them. Also, let's be honest, single use is bad too lol.
DRZ 400 Daytona 675 | BEL ESP FRA GBR
KHM IDN LAO MMR PHL THA VNM

Return to “ADVENTURE BIKE RIDER”