Officially old?

Bikers and riding
daveuprite

Re: Officially old?

Post by daveuprite »

DaveCon wrote: Wed May 08, 2019 9:27 am I've just recently got back into mountain biking after a lay off of around 15 years. In the last year I've bought three bikes and I'm on one or other of them two or three times a week and loving it. But I was complaining to my daughter that I do feel tired a lot, how did I get so old (57) without noticing.

"Oh you've got a few more years left in you yet haven't you?" she replied and for some reason didn't cheer me up :?
Funny! :lol: :lol:

I've had chronic lower back pain since I jumped from a truck in Mali in 1989. 30 years of aches and pains, and three discectomy operations. So I've been letting out a groan every time I get out of a car since I was 23 years old. I've felt old for a long time.

But I'm determined that it won't beat me. It didn't stop me from doing endurance racing and short circuit racing, and it absolutely will not stop me from hooning about in the mud on my 450 Beta even now. I just do all the stretches (though they kill me sometimes) and keep popping the pills. Sometimes I can't pick the bike up after another comedy lie-down, but that's what mates are for, several of whom are good members on ABR.

They say that 'you are only as old as you feel'. Well I feel pretty old, but only physically. Mentally I'm still a kid really. I'm up for doing daft things and I think the same way as I did as a twenty year old. That's the key to growing old, IMO. Everything might be wearing out, but there's no need to let your mind take a pension.
Crossrutted

Post by Crossrutted »

I’m 61 and have just ordered a pipe ☹️

Hang on tho’ -it’s a DG pipe for a 1980 YZ250 !! 🤪🤪😋

Life in the old dog yet👍
garyboy

Post by garyboy »

these days I notice I try to pull the `age` card … mostly to cover my lack of real off-road skills.

but I notice the young braves on their big bikes will have none of it.

`..well you keepin up, int you ` .. `you never too old` .. they say

so I tend to shut up now .. and just admit to myself that these youngsters (those under 60) are just braver and better than me :?

Being helped while pushing the bike up some very big concrete steps, recently, a young strong lad helped me lift me leg over the seat, YEAWWW … made me realise how stiff I had become ..

.. and that its more to do with health fitness and suppleness than age

.. the difference is that .. they are tired and aching for a day or two..
but I am totally kerknakkerd for a week or two
(or more :( )
SteveR

Post by SteveR »

Definitely my thread... :o

Just bought another over-tall bike but hoping that the body will allow me to get on it for a couple of years yet... Should keep me happy until 65, then its back on a mega scoot!!
dodursley

Post by dodursley »

I am preparing for older old age (I'm 70+), over the last year I brought a Honda CB750A Hondamatic and Honda ST90, but also a Honda XRV750 Africa Twin whilst I can still get my leg over!
garyboy

Post by garyboy »

dodursley wrote: Thu May 09, 2019 8:49 am I am preparing for older old age (I'm 70+), over the last year I brought a Honda CB750A Hondamatic and Honda ST90, but also a Honda XRV750 Africa Twin whilst I can still get my leg over!
:lol: :lol: :lol: .. I completely understand 8-) 8-) 8-)
`adventure before dementia` `live while u can` .. etc etc ..

How are you finding the ST 90 …. mpg?? .. comfort ?? .. loadability into van or car ????

at a similar age .. I too got a Honda 750 sort of automatic …. NC750sDCT … fancy the AT dct 1000 .. and fancying a smaller bike for economy?
Jak*

Post by Jak* »

I think I must be officially old as I am a grandparent. I just wish I could afford to retire but I’ve still got a few years of wage slavery left yet. Most of my mates who have retired reckon they feel ten years younger.
I must be old because I have got a Himalayan. I reckon that one of the reasons this bike has sold so well is the ageing biker market.
Cheers Jak
daveuprite

Post by daveuprite »

Jak* wrote: Thu May 09, 2019 9:12 am I think I must be officially old as I am a grandparent. I just wish I could afford to retire but I’ve still got a few years of wage slavery left yet. Most of my mates who have retired reckon they feel ten years younger.
I must be old because I have got a Himalayan. I reckon that one of the reasons this bike has sold so well is the ageing biker market.
Cheers Jak
Some people in their thirties are grandparents, Jak, so not sure that's the best determinant of age. For me it's all in the mind. If you allow your psychology to drift towards stereotypical miserable old git territory then you will certainly become 'old'. If you keep your thinking fresh and young, embrace change rather than reject it out of hand, stay broad-minded and tolerant, keep up to date with things rather than wallow in nostalgia... all will stop you from descending into the mire of negativity and small-mindedness that can easily characterize growing old.
DavidS

Post by DavidS »

daveuprite wrote: Thu May 09, 2019 9:26 am
Jak* wrote: Thu May 09, 2019 9:12 am I think I must be officially old as I am a grandparent. I just wish I could afford to retire but I’ve still got a few years of wage slavery left yet. Most of my mates who have retired reckon they feel ten years younger.
Cheers Jak
Some people in their thirties are grandparents, Jak, so not sure that's the best determinant of age. For me it's all in the mind. If you allow your psychology to drift towards stereotypical miserable old git territory then you will certainly become 'old'. If you keep your thinking fresh and young, embrace change rather than reject it out of hand, stay broad-minded and tolerant, keep up to date with things rather than wallow in nostalgia... all will stop you from descending into the mire of negativity and small-mindedness that can easily characterize growing old.
Bah humbug! :( :D

Losing the mental pressure of work makes a huge difference.
I’m 65 in August so not that old but a creaky knee, easily tweaked ‘two soups’ back and general office life fitness means I get tired quicker but I’m doing so much diy and gardening now an evening slump with wine and tv is enough for me. But at least I can do a gentle 5 hours of ‘work’ and not feel guilty.

Pacing myself has helped and I do feel much fresher and brighter so our weekly country walk of at least 3 to 5 miles has become a gentle stroll.

Cycling is out because of my knee but I going to set up a treadmill in an outbuilding for winter exercise - I can’t believe that I actually enjoy fast walking (not jogging - back to the knee problem).

I have had to fit higher bars and raise the seat of my Street Twin though to stop knee and wrist ache as I’m too used to sit up and beg off road style bikes.
2023 Husqvarna Norden 901
2014 KTM 690 ENDURO R
DavidS

Post by DavidS »

DavidS wrote: Thu May 09, 2019 10:05 am
daveuprite wrote: Thu May 09, 2019 9:26 am
Cheers Jak
Bah humbug! :( :D
I still hate Windows 10!!

Losing the mental pressure of work makes a huge difference.
I’m 65 in August so not that old but a creaky knee, easily tweaked ‘two soups’ back and general office life fitness means I get tired quicker but I’m doing so much diy and gardening now an evening slump with wine and tv is enough for me. But at least I can do a gentle 5 hours of ‘work’ and not feel guilty.

Pacing myself has helped and I do feel much fresher and brighter so our weekly country walk of at least 3 to 5 miles has become a gentle stroll.

Cycling is out because of my knee but I going to set up a treadmill in an outbuilding for winter exercise - I can’t believe that I actually enjoy fast walking (not jogging - back to the knee problem).

I have had to fit higher bars and raise the seat of my Street Twin though to stop knee and wrist ache as I’m too used to sit up and beg off road style bikes.
2023 Husqvarna Norden 901
2014 KTM 690 ENDURO R

Return to “ADVENTURE BIKE RIDER”