car behaviour when joining a main carriageway

Bikers and riding
catcitrus

car behaviour when joining a main carriageway

Post by catcitrus »

Whilst I'm logged on I thought I would raise the issue of cars joining a main carriageway from a slip road. Twice yesterday ,in short succession, I had cars virtually push me into the outside lane/cause me to brake hard because they simply ignored my presence--and I was doing 65 mph minimum. I thought the highway code clearly stated that when joining you should both adjust your speed and GIVE WAY if necessary as you are crossing a dotted give way line. If I was in a bloody great artic doing 56 mph I bet they would give way! Its almost as though I didn't exist and when I indicated to them to use their mirrors all I got was the usual sign--and in both cases it was young male drivers. I don't mind slightly backing off but in both these cases I was actually avoiding a collision--they seemed to think that they had a divine right to keep coming and not stop if necessary and wait until it was clear. It seems to be a lot more prevelant these days -almost a symbol of aggressive and arrogant driving?
Richard Simpson Mark II

Re: car behaviour when joining a main carriageway

Post by Richard Simpson Mark II »

"If I was in a bloody great artic doing 56 mph I bet they would give way! "

Oh no they don't

https://video.search.yahoo.com/search/v ... e554073c3b

This silly woman pulled out in front of the truck on the A1.

The truck driver was absolved of all blame.
fatowl

Post by fatowl »

I believe modern drivers are taught that the person already on the dual carriage way should move out of their way. They have changed the rules from our day.
garyboy

Post by garyboy »

3. Joining the motorway (259)
Joining the motorway. When you join the motorway you will normally approach it from a road on the left (a slip road) or from an adjoining motorway. You should

give priority to traffic already on the motorway
check the traffic on the motorway and match your speed to fit safely into the traffic flow in the left-hand lane
not cross solid white lines that separate lanes or use the hard shoulder
stay on the slip road if it continues as an extra lane on the motorway
remain in the left-hand lane long enough to adjust to the speed of traffic before considering overtaking.

most drivers on the main road/motorway tend to give way like the continentals
but I always find this type of junction a nightmare as people seem to have their own rules.
and often there is not enough time, when joining, to get up to speed and fit in with m/way speeds
Billy Bananahead

Post by Billy Bananahead »

I've just obtained my second CPC licence, and slag me all you like, but i just treat everyone on the road with the same contempt. Useless bastards :lol:
Tonibe63

Post by Tonibe63 »

That clip looks like M1 Junction 21a southbound, there isn't a week goes by without a similar incident there.
Open your eyes and you see what is in front of you, open your mind and you see a bigger picture but open your heart and you see a whole new World.
Mike54

Post by Mike54 »

I see this almost daily now. Car drivers just join at the speed they're driving with no mind for giving way, waiting, accelerating etc.
Cone

Post by Cone »

Technically they are acceleration and deceleration lanes. Designed for you to join the carriageway at the same speed as traffic therefore having a seemless merge
brianswm

Post by brianswm »

my last bike was an mt500 and was near its max at 60mph. the amount of times i was nearly hit by joining traffic you wouldnt believe. if traffic was overtaking on my right at the same time ,there is nowhere to go. yoofs of both sexes seemed to be the worst.
Jack the Builder

Post by Jack the Builder »

I also remember when an amber light at a traffic lights also meant stop at the line unless you are so close that if you pull up you might cause an accident, Now it appears if a light turns to amber, step on the gas and race through....usually just after it turns red :roll: :D

Return to “ADVENTURE BIKE RIDER”