Test Ride Cost?

Bikers and riding
bigfoot

Test Ride Cost?

Post by bigfoot »

Hello All

I recently came across something I've not seen before.

When choosing my new bike, and looking at test rides, I found that some dealers now charge a fee for a test ride - fair enough some of them give it you back if you buy the bike, but what if you decide on another bike?

I just wondered is this now common practice?

I rang around until I found a dealer that didn't charge, travelled a bit further and then bought the bike off them out of principle but I'm interested on how widespread this is for when we change the Wife's bike

Bigfoot
dibbs

Re: Test Ride Cost?

Post by dibbs »

Never heard of this! I also wouldnt pay to test ride, good on you for going elsewhere
cozi70

Post by cozi70 »

What price range were they quoting?
Brenhden

Post by Brenhden »

I like what you did Bigfoot, I hope you told the dealer who wanted to charge.
And now, Harry, let us step out into the night and pursue that flighty temptress, adventure.

Suzuki DR200 Djebel.
🇬🇧🇫🇷🇧🇪🇱🇺🇪🇸🇬🇷🇩🇪
clutchspring

Post by clutchspring »

I once wanted a test ride on a used fjr 1300 at strathstones in Leicester , they wanted to charge me apparently because it was a trade sale bike ! When I said no thanks the sales manager said to the salesman we'll take it out of your comission but I didn't bother I didn't like the sales managers attitude.

Ian.
P4ulie

Post by P4ulie »

I've heard of it but never personally come across it. I'm sure there are plenty of serial weekend testers but every bike I've ever tested I have been considering buying, if not there & then, certainly the near future.

I demo'd a Zero the other month, it had only 1 mirror & a shagged rear shock, what kind of discount should I have negotiated? :shock:
With enough profanity, you can accomplish anything
Richard Simpson Mark II

Post by Richard Simpson Mark II »

Some dealers suffer badly from 'test pilots'...particularly those budding 'Cathcarts' with youtube channels to fill.

But, as a serious customer, I've never had a problem being offered test rides...the key is not to ask for one.
Nigel

Post by Nigel »

Yes I can understand some people taking the piss with test rides but Webb's of Peterborough will always lend me a demo when my bike is serviced even before I bought one from them, didn't sell me a Tiger 1200 for £17,000 after borrowing it! but recently bought Tracer GT from them after having a Tracer as a loan, so a good way to do business.
garyboy

Post by garyboy »

ive had 2 test rides, about 2 years ago, .
I ended up buying both bikes, but had to put down a £100 on both, and agree to paying £1000 each if damaged.
you can imagine I was very very careful on my demo rides, both of which had a time limit of less than an hour.
I also had to provide a photo ID showing NO POINTS on my licence.

later, I realised that the £100 was actually a deposit on an agreement to purchase the bikes
which, once the demo was over, I could claim back if I backed out of the purchase. :o
johnnyboxer

Post by johnnyboxer »

garyboy wrote:ive had 2 test rides, about 2 years ago, .
I ended up buying both bikes, but had to put down a £100 on both, and agree to paying £1000 each if damaged.
you can imagine I was very very careful on my demo rides, both of which had a time limit of less than an hour.
I also had to provide a photo ID showing NO POINTS on my licence.

later, I realised that the £100 was actually a deposit on an agreement to purchase the bikes
which, once the demo was over, I could claim back if I backed out of the purchase. :o
That is shocking practice
We buy things we don't need

With money we don't have

To impress people we don't even like

Return to “ADVENTURE BIKE RIDER”