New bike- Advice needed

Bikers and riding
scooby

New bike- Advice needed

Post by scooby »

Hi every one, I'm looking to get back into Greenlaning and maybe the odd enduro ( never done one before), but not sure what bike, I've had xr400 and drz400 before but like xr's for their simplicity, but I would like electric start and maybe more modern so thinking of wr250f, ktm exc350f. I not a particularly fast rider so are these the best thing or maybe something else?
I'm interested to know what owners think of these bikes or alternatives.
Cheers
JB66

Re: New bike- Advice needed

Post by JB66 »

I've ridden a WR250F, think it was a 2016. Nice bike. I had a YZF250 at the time.

From MX experience, it's more of a brand preference. Personally, I'd go for a 450 as you'll give it less abuse and spend more time riding it than changing filters and oil :)

Enduros or Hare and hounds? I've done a few years of the cotswold enduro series in the past. If you look on the calendar at the "slow pete" series, those races are shorter (they used to be anyway), and they don't have the really fast classes, so makes it more enjoyable if you're just looking to ride a good trail, rather than outright race. https://www.cotswoldenduro.co.uk/events
bill_qaz

Post by bill_qaz »

You could also try http://www.tbec.co.uk/ used to ride them years back don't know about currently but they were fun events 2 hours an hours lunch then 2 hours on reversed course.
herman

Post by herman »

Both bikes will be fine just buy on condition and the owner's knowledge of the bike. "Yeah mate had it two years and fully serviced it after every ride" is bollox. Personally I like two strokes :twisted:
The secret of a long life is knowing when its time to go.
scooby

Post by scooby »

Thanks for the replys guys, all sensible stuff. I was looking at doing at least a couple of the "slow Pete" rounds to see if I like it, but mostly Greenlaning, I will look to see what's available in my budget.
Thanks again for taking the time to reply.
frenchy3

Post by frenchy3 »

I owned a Yamaha WR250F. It was a great bike for trail riding although there were times i wish i had a bit more torque on the rocky climbs. It was fast and free revving had good suspension etc. I have also ridden a couple of KTM EXC 400,s which were great bikes but getting on a bit now. Ggreat for racing and trail riding,smooth and electric motor style power. I have never ridden the KTM EXC 350 but to me this always seemed like the ideal light weight bike which would not be too intimidating power wise. Good luck with the search.
Tonibe63

Post by Tonibe63 »

For me I found the wr250f/ktm250 was very competent and I felt 'in charge' of the bike so was easier and less tiring to ride but it was lacking power/excitement and boring on the road.
Most 450's (ktm/beta/husqvarna) had bags of power and excitement (often too much) but they were always waiting to bite me especially when tired and just hanging on at the end of a day.
The various Beta/husaberg/ktm 350/390/400's were all very competent ..... power when needed, easy to ride and easy to make do what you need without ripping your arms off.
Most enduro bikes are a pain on the road/@rse and not as sedate or comfy as an xr but enduro bikes are so much lighter to ride and pick up especially at the end of a long day.
Hth.
Open your eyes and you see what is in front of you, open your mind and you see a bigger picture but open your heart and you see a whole new World.
scooby

Post by scooby »

What you guys have said in the last two replys pretty much tells me what I need to know, I have a xr400 at present which I bought recently as I've had them in the past , suits my riding style and easy to work on but I keep thinking I want an electric start.
I guess I need to get a ride on a wr and I think a exc350 and go from there.
Thanks for the replys, very helpful.
johnnyboxer

New bike- Advice needed

Post by johnnyboxer »

I usually ride an XR400R - just had a week on the trails in Devon on it and think it's fab - only thing that lets it down is the suspension is a bit harsh when you try to get a shift on (normal budget Honda Showa stuff)

Got this as well and had a day out it last Saturday .................................In comparison it's bloody full-on mental - but great fun

If I had to choose...................... I would keep the XR 400 and fix the suspension
We buy things we don't need

With money we don't have

To impress people we don't even like

Return to “ADVENTURE BIKE RIDER”