1981 Triumph Tiger Trail - New!

Bikers and riding
mark vb

1981 Triumph Tiger Trail - New!

Post by mark vb »

In a thread of a few months ago ('Your Dream Bike' or some such thing), I briefly mentioned that I had no desire for any other bike, possibly excepting a Tiger Trail, but as only 200 or so were made there is relatively little chance of finding a nice, well-maintained example. However, this has surfaced.... but, at this price I don't know.... I'd be riding it and would most likely soon halve the value! The search probably continues!
http://www.cosmoclassic.co.uk/triumphtr7taug18.htm
johnnyboxer

Re: 1981 Triumph Tiger Trail - New!

Post by johnnyboxer »

Avon Mudplugger were a good tyre
We buy things we don't need

With money we don't have

To impress people we don't even like
Richard Simpson Mark II

Post by Richard Simpson Mark II »

Hmmmm...

I remember an article in Classic Bike a year or two ago where there was a guy who had had one from new, and it turned out to be remarkably reliable.

Just a question...why do you want one?

Given the original was a bit of a parts-bin special, could you create one from a standard scruffy TR7V Tiger, with pattern/similar parts like suspension, and get an exhaust system fabricated? Surprising what you might find at somewhere like the Telford Classic Dirt Bike Show autojumble.

One of the old-established Triumph dealers might even know who made the original exhaust.

I'm not suggesting making a fake...just a look-alike that would recreate 99% of the appearance and riding experience of the original.
Richard Simpson Mark II

This one

https://www.bonhams.com/auctions/23955/lot/178/

Went for north of £10 K

Not with the std exhaust, but plenty of 'provenance'.
Trev

Post by Trev »

I remember a magazine review when they came out, may have been Bike, and even though I was a snotty nosed 2 stoke jockey at the time who wouldn't go near a Triumph , I loved the look of it. Probably nearly worht a punt even at that price, provided you only ride it to the local bike meet on dry Sundays and never let it near mud - which would be a pity.
mark vb

Post by mark vb »

Richard Simpson Mark II wrote: Mon Aug 13, 2018 7:15 pm Just a question...why do you want one?
Why indeed? Well, I've always had a soft spot for the Tiger 650/750 and its relative simplicity (single carb etc.) which was available new in my early biking days, in particular the Trail version as I've always liked the trail style (the XT500 was/is another favourite). The motor is simple and easy to work on, with spares still readily available, and that appeals. However, at the time my head got the better of my heart and I ended up with a CB750! I take your point about cobbling a Trail together using a standard Tiger as a base, but of course it wouldn't be a genuine Trail model which is what I'd like. The £10k Trail you highlighted at Bonhams would've been a far more sensible buy as it wouldn't lose much if any value by riding it. I have a feeling that I'll probably end up with a standard (road) Tiger unless another Trail surfaces at around £10k!
mark vb

Post by mark vb »

Trev wrote: Mon Aug 13, 2018 7:25 pm I remember a magazine review when they came out, may have been Bike, and even though I was a snotty nosed 2 stoke jockey at the time who wouldn't go near a Triumph , I loved the look of it. Probably nearly worht a punt even at that price, provided you only ride it to the local bike meet on dry Sundays and never let it near mud - which would be a pity.
I have Bike mag since 1975 stored away in boxes.....will get out the early 80's box when I get a few minutes and see if the review is there!
Richard Simpson Mark II

Interesting write-up here: http://www.motorcyclespecs.co.za/model/ ... r%2080.htm

Seems it was built primarily for the French market...
lancashirelad

Post by lancashirelad »

I always wanted a TR5T so I got one nice to ride until you needed to stop in a hurry, I rode it round Kinlochleven watching the Scottish pre65 trial a few years ago a guy asked me if I wanted to sell it so I did, I also threw away my rose tinted glasses. :D
***just like Britney Spears oops I did it again……sold the Scrambler & as of now there may not be a replacement***
Sanqhar

Post by Sanqhar »

mark vb wrote: Mon Aug 13, 2018 7:02 pm In a thread of a few months ago ('Your Dream Bike' or some such thing), I briefly mentioned that I had no desire for any other bike, possibly excepting a Tiger Trail, but as only 200 or so were made there is relatively little chance of finding a nice, well-maintained example. However, this has surfaced.... but, at this price I don't know.... I'd be riding it and would most likely soon halve the value! The search probably continues!
http://www.cosmoclassic.co.uk/triumphtr7taug18.htm
Wonder what the date on the tyres is? They must be pretty hard by now.

Tom
... and today was a good day in the life of...

Return to “ADVENTURE BIKE RIDER”