Nodding

Bikers and riding
PankGS

Nodding

Post by PankGS »

I wonder why British riders nod when the rest of Europe extend a welcoming foot. Which to me seems a much more friendly gesture than a twitchy nod .
The Wilbur

Re: Nodding

Post by The Wilbur »

Am currently in Salzburg, Austria, and they nearly all point at you! No nods, no feet, but a left hand point. This appeared to be quite popular across France and Germany too. Brits nod because they don't like taking their hands off their handlebars.
SUCK : SQUEEZE : BANG : BLOW

www.f650.co.uk
Bluebird

Post by Bluebird »

Is it me, or are riders not nodding as much as they use to?
Andi_Archer

Post by Andi_Archer »

Bluebird wrote:Is it me, or are riders not nodding as much as they use to?
Only when falling asleep :whistle: :laugh:
PankGS

Post by PankGS »

Im talking feet not hands and surely a nod is a
distraction, and an extended foot is also on overtake. Obviously brain engage at all times.
daytona-supersport

Post by daytona-supersport »

Keeping hands on the controls.
That's the reason that police Velocette LE became known as noddy bikes. Not being able to salute an officer whilst riding and keeping full control of the machine. A nod of acknowledgement was determined as an acceptable substitute.
V_King

Post by V_King »

Bluebird wrote:Is it me, or are riders not nodding as much as they use to?
Went to North Wales today after two years brake and what has struck me was also riders not nodding anymore. Especially the riders riding old bikes. Too much to cope on for the grandpass? B)
""
Africa John

Nodding

Post by Africa John »

Because Pank when you drive on the right you can wave your left leg, foot or hand and not impair your bike control. Drive on the left like here in UK and you don't want to take your hand off the throttle or foot from covering the rear brake
AndyB

Post by AndyB »

I nod when I'm in the UK and lift my left hand from the bars when abroad but I honestly don't care if others don't because they might be distracted by something so not acknowledging me doesn't matter.

I do get annoyed by fellow bikers not stopping if they see someone stopped at the side of the road or pushing a bike but karma works and if you don't stop then one day it'll be you. Last weekend we were bringing the bikes home from where they've been in storage and even though I told her to check the fuel my wife's RS250 ran out just as she turned off the A1 to join the A14. I was following in the car so shot into the services just off the roundabout and started walking back to help her push it. Three motorbikes rode past her as she pushed it and totally ignored her :pinch: Maybe they were in a rush, maybe they thought the services were only a couple of hundred yards away so why bother or maybe they just thought bollocks, it's a bird with a sports bike? Fair play to the guy who was sitting waiting to have his old Super Tenere recovered from the services because he had a puncture, even though he had his own problems he asked if he could help (thumbs)
pinball1008

Post by pinball1008 »

AndyB wrote:I nod when I'm in the UK and lift my left hand from the bars when abroad but I honestly don't care if others don't because they might be distracted by something so not acknowledging me doesn't matter.

I do get annoyed by fellow bikers not stopping if they see someone stopped at the side of the road or pushing a bike but karma works and if you don't stop then one day it'll be you. Last weekend we were bringing the bikes home from where they've been in storage and even though I told her to check the fuel my wife's RS250 ran out just as she turned off the A1 to join the A14. I was following in the car so shot into the services just off the roundabout and started walking back to help her push it. Three motorbikes rode past her as she pushed it and totally ignored her :pinch: Maybe they were in a rush, maybe they thought the services were only a couple of hundred yards away so why bother or maybe they just thought bollocks, it's a bird with a sports bike? Fair play to the guy who was sitting waiting to have his old Super Tenere recovered from the services because he had a puncture, even though he had his own problems he asked if he could help (thumbs)
With regard to the stopping, I had a puncture today which led to me ripping the rear valve out of the tube :unsure: First a cyclist stopped and lent me a phone. Following that 3 bikes stopped, one offering to go home get his van so I could do a repair in his garage. Then a guy in his car also stopped to see if he could help. That's the French for you (thumbs) :)
Not all those wandering are lost

Return to “ADVENTURE BIKE RIDER”