Bad manners

Bikers and riding
nickoff

Re: Bad manners

Post by nickoff »

This subject usually starts a big discussion/argument in the motorhome community as well. When I first had a campervan, in the 90s, just about everyone waved to a fellow van driver. It has died off a lot nowadays although about 50% of us still do it. In Europe hardly any of our continental cousins used to wave but it seems to be catching on more now.
Have you also noticed that it only seems to be in this country where lorry drivers flash their lights to let an overtaking truck know that it's safe to pull in? I have seen it happen in Europe but not often.

Nick.
Stewie

Post by Stewie »

Coming back to the French side of the tunnel the road was blocked ( protest/rta ) leaving about 10 miles of stationary/slow moving traffic, whilst the local drivers whether in a 2CV or massive truck they all made a clear effort to pull over and let us filter through.
No points for guessing what was the nationality of the cars activity pulling out to block out progress !
So I did wave to both groups, just slightly different waves :laugh: (thumbs)
-Ralph-

Post by -Ralph- »

I don't give slightly different waves to people generally, as nowadays it's far too easy to induce road rage, but especially not on the approach to Calais, as the chances of them walking past my parked bike on the way into the terminal building and being tempted to push it over, or being parked next to them in the line up for boarding and they come out the car for an argument, is pretty high. They are usually at the tail end of a long journey, in a fully packed car, with screaming kids, a moaning wife, and stress levels are already elevated by delays, queues, passport control, customs checks, etc.
"Luke, you're going to find that many of the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view" - Obi-Wan Kenobi
Trev

Post by Trev »

In my yoof it was always a wave, nod seems to have come in more recently. I have a few bikes ranging from a step thru 'ped to a couple of GSXR's (it may have been me not acknowledging you as I try my best to uphold the Gixer stereotype ; ) ) and I do notice a difference in response from a lot of bikers depending on what I'm riding. Sportsbikers are generally okay if not concentrating on holding the plot together/watching for speed cameras/adjusting leathers to remove that annoying itch but this 'season' (whatever that is) the least responsive in my experience are cruiser/chopper riders and kitted up adventure riders (boo hiss, sorry guys & girls) but then to be fair I have spent most of the Summer on a hand painted step thru wearing a vest and flip flops as I try to relive my youth :whistle:

Being serious, many of us of us can get a bit too hung up on whether someone nods/waves/swings leg back - I prefer the 'givers gain' approach, give a wave and don't bother to look whether it's responded to, sometimes you're better off concentrating on what's in front of you rather than on the other side of the road.
Alan29

Post by Alan29 »

When I'm ignored I just think/say "c*nt" and put them out of my mind.
artic fox

Post by artic fox »

I was driving my truck down the A10 from Kings lynn to Ely, there was sporadic on coming traffic , this is why I moved over etc, to give the rider a better view and as a biker I wouldn't dream of indicating to another biker if I thought there was any kind of hazard ahead, in fact if I see one behind me looking to overtake I generally give a quick flash of the off side indicator to warn them, as for the NOD I tend to always wave with my left hand, obviously if your filtering through stand still traffic, you couldn't possibly thank everyone on both sides for moving over, you'd never have your hands on the bars but in the three cases I mentioned there was no excuse.
ollydog

Post by ollydog »

Scott_rider wrote:The rule of thumb in London is definitely NOT to say hello to anyone on the tube. At the best they'll think you are a nutter, at the worst you'll be saying hello to a nutter... :laugh: .

As for nodding to other bikers, I always do so. In fact on a recent trip to Spain I even found myself nodding at english plate cars... :silly:.
scott, that is very good point, i always let onto brit plates when abroad esp waggons you never know when you need help and they would be more incline to stop if you have just let on

steve
lancashirelad

Post by lancashirelad »

On my way home in the car last night from Bainbridge Hillclimb l signalled about 10 times to let various bikes pass me on the narrow roads only 1 acknowledged me for it!!
***just like Britney Spears oops I did it again……sold the Scrambler & as of now there may not be a replacement***
rodyorkabr

Post by rodyorkabr »

This is one of my concerns in society generally...respect towards others.
I see examples of this
1.In supermarkets (letting people OUT through a door first)- same on the underground
2.Responding to emails/forum posts..after you have taken the trouble to help/offer advice on bike issues etc....total silence..they don't even tell others how they fixed it or thank
3.On the road as already discussed here...Its wise to thank people whom have allowed you passage...they might act as a witness/medical aid asto your riding/behaviour should you have an off down the road

There was an advert for este lauda product on TV some time ago and the strap line was "because you're worth it"...really; how do you work that one out!

It's society that has changed encouraging people to believe they are better than the next person...Old/middle/young-men & women seem to subscribe to this belief..without substance

its going to get messy- (Rev) Thomas Robert Malthus offers more advice...(its not a religious sermon...you're ok ;) )
zimtim

Post by zimtim »

A few years ago I was travelling back on the from Lymington to Southampton, I saw a bike with pillion coming up behind us at speed. Normally I would pull over and let him pass, but having seen the old speed camera set up just round bend on way through, I thought best just slow this guy down for bit so I pulled out a bit more put my hand out window wagging finger basically telling him NO. Started getting all the wanker signs, you know normal form of manual abuse from rider and pillion.
Well when we rounded bend I could see him about to open up and.blast past us when he spots the old bill.
All of sudden his total demeanor and changed in an instant when he realised I had more than likely just saved him a ticket or two. Half mile later stopped at railway crossing he pulls up alongside big thanks and thumbs up.

Moral of story not every cage driver who doesn't pull over to let you pass is an asshole. He may be a local who knows a little more than you and may be doing you a favour.

Return to “ADVENTURE BIKE RIDER”