glasses and helmets

Bikers and riding
skipper

Re: glasses and helmets

Post by skipper »

Thanks to everyone for all the information, it is a massive help in trying to make the right choice especially as I have now found out just how much I will have to spend on them.
coyotedave

Post by coyotedave »

Before you plunge into the world of glasses, And the cost of replacing them every 18 months/2 years.

Have you thought of laser eye sugary?

I wore glasses for a few years. I just could not get on with them, fitting for wearing with my helmet, safety glasses that were not as good as my own glasses.

3 years ago I had laser eye sugary done at hospital, my choice of place to have it done.
Best thing I have done. No more fiddling with glasses.

Go and have a consultation and see if it's for you.

It may seem expensive at first but when you start to add up how much you pay for a good set of glasses every 2 years it's well worth it.

Cheers Dave.
mungey

Post by mungey »

Have used varifocals for the same condition for 20 years,now.Once you get used to them for everyday use,no problem on the bike.I also use contact lenses when riding in enduro competitions with helmet and goggles.Good for correcting distance viewing,but not for reading small print up close.
Philiptigerrice

Post by Philiptigerrice »

Agree with much of whats been said here - and there's a lot of variation in opinions!

I've worn glasses for nearly 40 years (I'm 39!! Ha Ha!)

Some find bi-focals too much, and others love them - some are the same with varifocals - you'll work out which you prefer soon enough.

DO spend as much as you can getting the thinnest lenses you can!

Helmet wise - wait until you have settled down with your new lenses or specs first - before you buy a new lid.

My last two lids, I've had to slide the glasses into place once the helmet is on - drives me mad.... and doesn't do the glasses much good, as if they shift and get uncomfy - its murder.

Its annoying me so much , I've just ordered a Caberg Tourmax, I've had flip up lids before, years ago, and its great to be able to keep your glasses on - and far more comfotable - and less stress on my glasses, wedging them between my lid and my face all the time!! (thumbs)
Greater Manchester
R1200 GS Adv ('08)
-Ralph-

glasses and helmets

Post by -Ralph- »

I hate wearing glasses on a bike!

They steam up in winter.

The arms get trapped between helmet and head, which is not only uncomfortable but means the glasses are held by the arms instead of resting on your nose, so mine move around and distort my vision as I go over bumps or turn my head. I wear single vision so I'd imagine varifocal would be even worse.

At petrol stations you have to take them off, place them on the seat, take the helmet off, put the glasses back on, assuming they havent fallen or been blown off the seat in the meantime, so now your scrabbling on the floor for your now scratched glasses, and you cant see to find where they fell.

I wear contact lenses.

You wont be able to get your eyes lasered as you need to have had a stable prescription for a number of years, but I'll be asking about it at my next appointment.
"Luke, you're going to find that many of the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view" - Obi-Wan Kenobi
Philiptigerrice

Post by Philiptigerrice »

Lol - you're not wrong Ralph!!

:P

I can't wear contacts (astigmatism++) as they'd cause blurring when I blink - and laser won't really correct much for me (used to work in Opthalmic Surgery on and off - and was told not to bother by surgeon friend) so, like you am fed up of pissing about at Petrol Stations -

I hope to god this Caberg Tourmax is half decent!! (thumbs)
Greater Manchester
R1200 GS Adv ('08)
AustinW

glasses and helmets

Post by AustinW »

Another sometime varifocal specs and sometime contact lenses wearer here for most of my life.

As Elle said with the contact lenses one eye for distance one for reading works well and if you go for dailies just bin them when you have finished riding for the day and put your specs back on. I opted for extended wear contact lenses and wear them for about 4weeks day and night before binning them, although after 5 years of that I am back to specs as a daily wear as my brain seemed to stop doing its thing and I wasn't getting good vision. You can get varifocal contact lenses but I have never tried them.

On varifocals specs...... Narrow profiles fits inside helmets better and should mean on/off in place with a flip front. Polycarbonate lenses are stronger and shatterproof so good on the bike; various upgrades to lenses are available that make them thinner, lighter, less reflective, and stronger. £££!£ though. Don't bother with reactolite coating in my experience it doesn't work behind a visor. Get thin metal legs and a thin wire frame. I tried rimless but they didn't feel robust and I was always convinced they would break.

Specs will steam up in cold and or wet weather, it's usually ok as long as you are moving at 5mph or more. Holding your breath is the ultimate answer but unless you are a trained free diver it's not a valid solution. There's various sprays that help but none that last more than a couple of hours and do tend to damage the lense and it's coatings with prolonged use.

Sent from my iPhone with a smile :)
Reeferman

Post by Reeferman »

I've had to wear glasses for ever, but now I have got to that age where I need distance and a separate reading prescription I have gone for vari-focals. Got 3 pairs, General use, safety (both with reactolight) and shades. I use the safety pair with an open face for trail riding, shades or general pair with flip front for road. I have just tried contacts but too much messing around so am sticking with specs.You have to spend money to get the best varifocal to stop the distortion around peripheral vision and learn to move your head and not just your eyes.
A bad days fishing is always better than a good day at work.
I should change the picture to the WR250F but a bit of confusion is OK.
AndyJB

Post by AndyJB »

light reactive lenses.
From recollection these are illegal on a motorbike?
AndyB

Post by AndyB »

AndyJB wrote:
light reactive lenses.
From recollection these are illegal on a motorbike?
How does that work? I've never heard that they're illegal and I've used them plenty of times over the years.

Return to “ADVENTURE BIKE RIDER”