Advice Needed: IAM or ROSPA ?

Bikers and riding
gteps

Advice Needed: IAM or ROSPA ?

Post by gteps »

I need some advice, I'm looking to join an advanced motorcycling group and would like to know if anyone has experience of either the IAM or ROSPA organisations and weather they are viewed as equal or if one is better thought of than the other ?

Thanks in advance :-)
Current Bikes:

BMW R1200GSA

Yamaha TT600R Belgarda
SteveW

Re: Advice Needed: IAM or ROSPA ?

Post by SteveW »

Are you sure you want to ride like a robot?
Redmurty

Post by Redmurty »

SteveW wrote:Are you sure you want to ride like a robot?
No he does not want to ride like a robot :pinch: , but he wants to improve his skills B) . Some of the smoothest and fastest rides I know are in the IAM group I ride out with. They cover some serious miles and do a lot of adventure type riding as well.

I think the £139 skills for life offer is still on going with the IAM, you pays ya money and get as much training as you want/require until you pass your test, then you get the benefit of cheaper insurance (thumbs)

cheers Spud ;)
Life... it's not a dress rehearsal

You don't waste time... you waste yourself
wayne roome

Post by wayne roome »

Done both and for me there is only ONE to join and that is IAM. A lot more knowledgeable in my experience but like anything, everyone is different. I would say do it, you certainly won't learn less!!!!
AndyB

Post by AndyB »

SteveW wrote:Are you sure you want to ride like a robot?
That's very harsh. But fair :)
devon john

Post by devon john »

it depends whats in your area??

i am a ROSPA observer(gold) in this area we are the only bike group.

the main difference is with ROSPA you are graded bronze, silver or gold and have to retest every 3yrs
iam is a pass and no retest
both use the police training bible both are good.

again its down to the group so are good some are not!!!!

you will improve your riding skill But make sure you are happy with your observer , you can change him/her if therss any clash .

john
SteveW

Post by SteveW »

Some of the safest, smoothest and fastest riders I know are ex racers. They'd be black-balled by the motorcycle equivalent of the Free Masons :whistle:
chipy

Post by chipy »

The training for both is based on the police road craft. RoSPA test is graded and Iam is pass or fail.

Some of the groups have a good social side as well you need to check what is in your area
1980 rs100, 1986 DT50 mx, 1990 fj1200, 1998 zzr600, 2003 R1150r, 2007 G650Xcountry, 2012 Honda wave 110, 2014 Beta alp 4.0, 2014 Beta alp 200, 2020 xt1200z
Mike101

Post by Mike101 »

I'll be doing my ROSPA or IAM stuff this year.

I welcome all reasonable comments on my riding skills and ability. People who do not welcome such comments from other experienced bike riders need to have a think.

In the most professional industries in the world is is the norm to give constructive feedback all the time.

Just look at the airline industry..it is a proven fact that people died and airliners crashed becasue junior crew memebrs were in fear of speaking up to or about more senior pilots. Just take the BOAC crash at heathrow....the junior pilots did not speak up about the fatal mistake that the senior pilot had just made.

Now in this industry the most junior and newly qualified is given the confidence to speak up about anybody or anything...and this is always welcome. The most senior pilots are trained to welcome this feedback and to understand it and use it.

You don't have to ride like the ROSPA or IAM people tell you to but what harm can it do to get an honest eval of you riding skills.

I'm doing it becasue i want to ride a SERV bike in the future and i need this.

Mike
And the beast shall be huge and black, and the eyes thereof red with the blood of living creatures, and the whore of Babylon shall ride forth on a three-headed serpent, and throughout the lands, there'll be a great rubbing of parts
corbine

Post by corbine »

Can't say for ROSPA but did IAM about ten years ago- even as a courier thought i knew it all, IAM taught me many more skill sets and made me a lot safer and smoother. i can see the robot opinion and why, but each to their own, your taught it -its up to you how much of it you want to use.

Not sure if its still about but there used to be a Honda MAC course as well (advanced). An excellent course too. The IAM used to get me 10% off insurance each year, but don't get points on your license.

My instructor was the late John Truelove (RIP), who was the Police Bike instructor before he ran the Honda MAC courses. Never seen a Pan Euro move like that :-))

gl whatever you choose, id recommend everyone does one of these courses at some time to refresh/improve their skills- cant do anyone any harm to become more competent.

Return to “ADVENTURE BIKE RIDER”