Stella alpina 2013

Bikers and riding
johnnington

Re: Stella alpina 2013

Post by johnnington »

I have a couple of questions I hope someone can answer,

Is there anything I need to plan for/book for the Rally?
Do most people camp or stay in hotels whilst there? What would be the advantages of either?

As you can probably guess, this is my first Stella so any other important info I should know is very much appeciated.

John
fionaann

Post by fionaann »

Hi hunny, yes its still our honeymoon, we are getting married in a secret location in Scotland then we head off to Italy, cant wait to celebrate with you and our other biker mates. :)
Bonniebird wrote:
africajim wrote:Fiona and myself will be there and look forward to seeing you all there!

1st beer's on me at Bokki on Friday!
Hi Jim and Fiona, Homer and me are hoping to arrive on the Friday, will be good to see you guys again.......is it still going to be your honeymoon? :)
Life is for living so go out there and live it, have fun, be happy.
Steve T

Post by Steve T »

johnnington wrote: . . . . As you can probably guess, this is my first Stella . . . . .
That'll be two of us :lol: .

Me, I'm just following those in front of me :whistle: ;)

One thing you really shouldn't do - try and keep up with AfricaJim in the amber nectar swilling competition - there are no winners in that game, trust me :P ;)

Steve T

B)
ZEN DOG

He knows not where he's going, for the ocean will decide
It's not the destination . . . . . . . it's the glory of the ride
africajim

Post by africajim »

Steve T wrote:
johnnington wrote: . . . . As you can probably guess, this is my first Stella . . . . .
That'll be two of us :lol: .

Me, I'm just following those in front of me :whistle: ;)

One thing you really shouldn't do - try and keep up with AfricaJim in the amber nectar swilling competition - there are no winners in that game, trust me :P ;)

Steve T

B)
It'll make a change you following instead of being the followed Steve! ;)

Amber nectar??? Me??? LOL!

As Fiona has said, yes, we are getting married the Friday before we head off to the Stella, SteveT and Hudders being the only one's involved up to then. Most folk turn up on the Saturday for the Stella but we've told everyone who knows us we'll be there on the Friday and all who know us are welcome to join in the celebration of our wedding! There'll be a few from ABR, a few from XRV there and hopefully a good time will be had!
So yes, I will buy you a beer if you join us! (A BEER,,, singular, well, I am Scottish!)

The beauty of the Stella Alpina rally is there's no big plan involved, you just make your way to Bardonecchia and meet up with hundreds of like minded souls. We've done it for over 10yrs now and have loved every one. We're having a simple quiet wedding and don't want the big traditional Scottish wedding as we attend plenty over the yrs so came up with the secret location here in Scotland, half a dozen of us attending then for the reception simply head to Bardonecchia and whoever wants to, just turn up, all are welcome.
See you all there!
Honda, the power of dreams.
Fastlane99

Post by Fastlane99 »

johnnington wrote:I have a couple of questions I hope someone can answer,

Is there anything I need to plan for/book for the Rally?
Do most people camp or stay in hotels whilst there? What would be the advantages of either?

As you can probably guess, this is my first Stella so any other important info I should know is very much appeciated.

John

Just to add to what AfricaJim has said, the Stella Alpina comes with no pre-booking hassle; indeed, there isn't any provision for pre-booking!

As for accommodation, the majority of Stella participants can generally be found doing one of the following:

A. Staying in one of the many hotels, guest-houses or self-catering apartments in Bardonecchia (Iike me!),

B. Camping at the Bokki Campsite which is on the road heading south-west out of Bardonecchia,

C. Camping on the plateau at Rifugio Scarfiotti which is located on the track which leads to the Colle del Sommeiller, ie. the track that is the Stella Alpina which everyone rides up on the Sunday morning.

See attached map for the 'A', 'B' and 'C' locations.

Each location has it's own great social life and you certainly won't find yourself lacking good company at any of this places.

If you prefer having ready access to a hot shower, then you're choice is either Bardonecchia or Bokki Camping. However, depending on your budget, even Bokki Camping is not particularly cheap, even if the site is offering a 'Stella Alpina Motociclistica Internazionale' participant's discount again this year (don't forget to ask!).

If you like wild camping, looking out over stunning scenery, then camping at Rifugio Scarfiotti is possibly for you. Rifugio Scarfiotti is quite a ride (time-wise) out of Bardonecchia and so it's not a very practical option if you want to meet people in town in the evenings. Rifugio Scarfiotti is also nearly 3000 feet elevation above Bardonecchia and Bokki Camping so it will be a darn sight colder at night, even in July!

I have never camped at Rifugio Scarfiotti so I will leave it to others on this forum to advise on what facilities you can expect to find there (I understand that the refuge does sell food).

Where ever you decide to stay, make a point of calling in at the railway station bar in the middle of Bardonecchia during your visit - there's invariably a good few riders gathered there at all times of the day. Indeed, if you see an old white R80G/S parked up next to an un-faired blue Suzuki GS500 come over and say hello since my daughter Lizzie and I will be close by.

Stella-Map.jpg
Stella-Map.jpg (43.68 KiB) Viewed 1246 times
johnnington

Post by johnnington »

Thanks for the info. Points taken and duly noted. Hopefully will see you there :)

Thanks Fastlane, really helpful. I'm probably going to go for option B and camp at Bokki. I really can't wait now. I will look out for your BMW and Lizzie's Suzuki, hopefully will meet you at some point.

Is anyone going to the BMF show in May? I'm going with a few others but it would be good to meet up with anyone going to Stella if you're there.
desertraider

Post by desertraider »

With abit of luck and the planning , myself gary jim and paul should be at bokki camp site on the thursday afternoon , setting off first thing wed morning to Dijon staying over night their then onto bokki , friday we will be out on the local trails again
Tonibe63

Post by Tonibe63 »

After many years of thinking about but not doing, this will our first Stella too.
2 up on the GS :blink:
Am I brave, stupid or is there nothing to worry about?

Leaving the UK the weekend before, touring around and hopefully arriving at Bokki area on the Friday. Nothing booked for digs so maybe just camp/go with the flow.
We don't usually book the Chunnel till the week before so will keep an eye out to see what's happening and hope to meet up with fellow ABR's B) .

Anybody done the Stella 2 up before?
Open your eyes and you see what is in front of you, open your mind and you see a bigger picture but open your heart and you see a whole new World.
desertraider

Post by desertraider »

Theirs alot have gone up with a Pillion no problem , go for it , if it starts get abit much make them walk abit
boboneleg

Post by boboneleg »

The target.......... ;)

one-legged adventurer

Return to “ADVENTURE BIKE RIDER”