Concept Bikers

Bikers and riding
ErikGustav2

Concept Bikers

Post by ErikGustav2 »

Concept bikers

Some things changes. But a lot of similarities are still there.

Around 15- 20 years ago. Harley Davidson was the thing.
“everybody” should buy a HD. Most of the buyers where 50 + years with a good income and a house to use for mortgage. So the bikes where in reality owned by the banks.
These persons adapted totally to the concept. Buying a HD. That was only a half usefully bike. Exhaust and air filter needed to be change. And a lot of accessories were added.
Personal equipment: Leather suit, open black helmet, sun glasses, tattoos.... Everybody looked identical.

The word “Concept bikers” was born. Persons that turned into hard core bikers on Saturdays (if the weather was nice). At least that is what they thought/pretended. That could not even change oil on their bikes.

I remember a large MC meeting. Where the HDs where lined up. All looking very similar. And nobody cared. Then I showed up on a rat version of a Suzuki GT 750. With 2-stroke noise and smoke. And it get so much attention. (It has cost me 5% compared to the new HDs. But it was my hands that had got it running again).
GT_750_1_left.jpg
GT_750_1_left.jpg (101 KiB) Viewed 6105 times
Or when I had side cases on a Kawasaki S2 !
S2.jpg
S2.jpg (95.14 KiB) Viewed 6105 times
Just because I could and I wanted to be different....

I/we enjoyed the show. No critics. Everybody shall do what they like. And that we got some fun was just nice. How I laughed when I saw the move “Wild Hogs”

Fast wind 15-20 years to today. Things are almost same.
But HD has changed into BMW.
Same story with half ready bike. That needs half the Touratech catalogue to become a “real” adventure bike. Adventure bike has replaced cruiser.
The concept biker is now dressed in Gore Tex all weather dress. “Integral” helmet. Using Go Pro camera, communication equipment and GPS. All very similar. They take a tour on the main highway an Saturdays. (If the weather in nice) Or take a weekend ride to a 5 star hotel. Drink in the bar, eat in the hotel restaurant. Both dinner and breakfast. To live up to being Adventure bikers. But being careful so that the bikes does not get dirty. The MC meetings have changed into Adventure meetings. And even this with doing service at the dealer is the same.
Where are the dirty hands ?

Taking a look at the parking place... I can see the big variation of bikes.
BMWs 2.jpg
BMWs 2.jpg (114.02 KiB) Viewed 6105 times
And these “Concept adventure bikers” can't understand how persons can ride a C90 or another small bike on huge adventures.

Same things, same way of marketing and making money. Just a new concept.

Please give us a new movie based on today's “concept bikers”. Adventure Riders. So we get something to laugh at.

And again. No critics, It is just fun....
(Only dead fishes follows the stream.)
Old men do not change easy..
Richard Simpson Mark II

Re: Concept Bikers

Post by Richard Simpson Mark II »

It's been made already...It was called 'Long Way Down' and stared Charley Boorman and some other dude whose name escapes me
Went straight to TV IIRC
qcnr

Post by qcnr »

You mean Wild Hogs.
I went to a local bike show at the weekend and must say I was less than impressed. At 52 i felt like I reduced the average age
of people turning up on bikes :shock: At the same time I also felt like I was walking around back stage on the set of SOA
with all the extras :shock: :shock:
It was very weird, but Norwegians like their 'americana...'
Snaf MKII

Post by Snaf MKII »

I've never heard the term before, are you sure that you've not just coined it yourself.
StevieC

Post by StevieC »

Peaks with Spitfire May.jpeg
Peaks with Spitfire May.jpeg (138.16 KiB) Viewed 5069 times
We don't all fit the profile you've mentioned.
I use mine "off the shelf" and wear the same stuff as I do when riding my KTM 500 EXC-F 6 Days :D :D
minkyhead

Post by minkyhead »

its not always possible to typcast bikes and their riders ..ive racked up at allsorts of meeting over the years and ive seen some ratty old dominator scorch evryone and everything there ...gs /990 riders riders do some feckin nuts hard trails and makem look nothing
ive seen 1500quids worth of kllm and 15 grands worth of ktm 500 rally bike tanks sterring damper fairing recluse thumb brake rally tower and even a fecking leccy scroller ..... turn around at 1foot deep puddle on the coach road in the lakes ..i really shit you not..true story :mrgreen:
ive seen the brave the tenaciuse the idiot and the wannabee ..the skilled thegracful the fast and the furous the average and the gods and the fearless and the cowards the clueless and the mard
..met a few internet warriors guys who talk a load of stuff and were a liabilty .. a 75 yearoild that had to stand on bench as his hip didnt work well to mount a freewind and romp up stuff that scares me shitless ...lads who ride old africa twins and 800gs es and make the light is right mantra look dim ..... :D

fellas on mts trail riding with their dogs strapped in a kennel .....24 father xmases on grizedale ... a arab with fez and fecking zorro with full cape and mask worse for wear ride off off the strata florida ..seen small bikes drown when big bike dont :?: visa versa 300 meter sidsadlle wheelies on old xts and some tricks i can only dream of on stuff thats more than unlikly . ride and riden with lads who have only one leg ..been out with disabled lads on quads .... seen lads do inredable things and some do the most comical shit you can imagine ...ride unlikly bikes on shit tyres in places that i couldnt fathom ..hit a gate posing fer photo .. get away with shit by miricle and sadly get on occasion hurt too :geek:

one thing i have learned ..is i never judge a bike a rider its weight price or power or lack ofi it .. or a book by its cover one thing i do know its been a hell ova ride watchin all that over the years

when somone racks up on somthing diffrent or old or new or big or heavy ....i always enjoy it and admire them ,,i guess i know me place im happy to get over and get to the end and enjoy the show that these lads put on

braaaaaaap
whats the wether forcast ..wheres me map
Snaf MKII

Post by Snaf MKII »

StevieC wrote: Tue Jul 04, 2023 9:27 pm Peaks with Spitfire May.jpeg

We don't all fit the profile you've mentioned.
I use mine "off the shelf" and wear the same stuff as I do when riding my KTM 500 EXC-F 6 Days :D :D
I can vouch for that, but you only ride to riverside pubs with roof terraces. Are they the same boots :-)
Cambridge TRF Visit 013.jpg
Cambridge TRF Visit 013.jpg (166.98 KiB) Viewed 4999 times
Tonibe63

Post by Tonibe63 »

Many of the population can't grasp the concept that risking our life (by riding a bike) makes us live our lives to the fullest ........let's celebrate all bikers ;) .
Open your eyes and you see what is in front of you, open your mind and you see a bigger picture but open your heart and you see a whole new World.
Spike941

Post by Spike941 »

As I’m sure I’ve mentioned before, but I reinvented myself on discovering Adventure bikes. Sold the Harley, cut my hair, shaved the beard off and purchased a 1200 Explorer. A GS was just one step too far.
garyboy

Post by garyboy »

concept? .. its what you identify as .. [but not a cat or whatever] ..

an old twat trail rider that doesnt know when to give up..
Image20230512_201446 by gary boy, on Flickr

a born again trail idiot, with aspirations..
Image20230319_143454 (2) by gary boy, on Flickr

free as a bird accomplished road motorcyclist..
Image20230314_131857 (2) by gary boy, on Flickr

a grateful covid convert to battery pedal power..
Image20221230_153444 (2) by gary boy, on Flickr

a leather clad tough experienced road dog..
Imagep3310567402-11 (2)qq by gary boy, on Flickr

ahhhhhh..
Image20220923_171001 (2) by gary boy, on Flickr

a twonk on the wrong bike..
ImageSARN CROSSING by gary boy, on Flickr

yep .. this Cool.. whodathawt? ..
Image20200504_143407 (2) by gary boy, on Flickr

nope.. great trail, but not so cool rider.. in fact sweltering, stuck, and alone.. identify as completely mad, and stupid ..
Image20171008_124322 (2) by gary boy, on Flickr

yep .. this is well ok.. but is it me, or is it the powerful battery?..
Image20200705_180746 (2) by gary boy, on Flickr

i was a fab fast sports rider on this ... the bike may have helped a bit lol..
Image313 (2) by gary boy, on Flickr

yup.. i could actually do it a few years ago..
Image44464602_10216930536123285_909289673719808000_n (2) by gary boy, on Flickr

my then new fab `L`.. swaped for a Emtb lol..
Image20160814_173507c by gary boy, on Flickr

top of the word ma .. top of the bike too.. too tall..
Image20140724_105016bb by gary boy, on Flickr

Image20171027_144808 by gary boy, on Flickr
Last edited by garyboy on Wed Jul 05, 2023 1:33 pm, edited 20 times in total.

Return to “ADVENTURE BIKE RIDER”