If you're new to the site make your 1st post here. Tell us who you are, what you ride, your travel plans, bank account details etc.
illmor

Post by illmor »

Hi everyone

My name is Alex. I`m 42. Biker for quite few years now. Joined ABR Forum in 2016 and since then reading a lot. Decided to write and ask for advice. My previous bikes: great Suzuki RF900 owned for over 5yrs. Only changed for Honda CBF1000, as i wanted something more touring orientated, as being almost 1,9m i was having back and neck discomfort after couple of hours riding. Since 2019 i`m doing about 1500km a year. No time and other hobbies. So i`m after more offroad type bike. I was reading a lot about: Suzuki DR series ( 350 and 650 ), Honda XR ( 400, 600 and 650 ), Yamaha XT ( 600 and 660 ) and some others too. My choice is YAMAHA XT660. X or R. I`ll be commuting to work, and maybe i`ll get some offroad training too. I`ve done IAM training in UK ( advancer rider certificate ) and it was the best thing since i started to ride, so i`m hoping it will be similar experience with offroad bike. Having on\off road bike - i hope i`ll get out more often, without worrying how much dropping the bike will cost.

Any better bike than yamaha xt660 for light offroad/commuting work ? Cheers
Attachments
DSC_3068.jpg
DSC_3068.jpg (174.5 KiB) Viewed 3051 times
DSC_2597.jpg
DSC_2597.jpg (169.66 KiB) Viewed 3051 times
Godspeed

Re: New member

Post by Godspeed »

How far is your commute and on what type of roads?
Welcome 👍
The Meandering Moustache

Going Big and Riding Small

Honda PCX125 (sports tourer)
Honda Innova ANF125 (Adventure bike)
illmor

Post by illmor »

Commute is about 20min, all tarmac. I hope for more pleasure riding, maybe touring - unpaved roads included. Not sure if more than 400cc needed, but it`s nice to have extra power when you need it. Xt660 can loose 10kg with exhaust change as i know it`s not the lightest bike. Would like fairly modern one. 2004 year ot younger. Most of maintenance i`m doing myself, so no problem with that
Godspeed

Post by Godspeed »

If you’ve only got a 20 minute commute then save money and get something like a Honda XR125l, power enough up to 55mph, will do decent off road work as it’s just over 100kg and it’ll save you shed loads in ever increasing petrol costs by doing 100mpg
Just my ideas, though you may have guessed I’m a bit small bike biased 😉
The Meandering Moustache

Going Big and Riding Small

Honda PCX125 (sports tourer)
Honda Innova ANF125 (Adventure bike)
illmor

Post by illmor »

I'm well aware of your adventures sir, but being used to bigger engines, i think i'll settle for at least 400cc. Having none offroad experience, i find hard to believe that 125cc is all i need. I'm almost 1,9m and about 94kg, so size of the bike matters and i hope it will.keep me fit.

Wysłane z mojego RMX2155 przy użyciu Tapatalka

bikenav

Post by bikenav »

Sounds like you have done a little research already, the only bike in your little list I have owned myself is the XR600 a bike with oodles of character strong and simple but kickstart, 5 cogs only and no battery for accessory power as I remember(when I owned one an accessory was a X bar pad), the others in the family similar be aware there are 2 versions of the LC 650 R and L a big difference in how long the rear tyre lasts on each if you get my drift. I have been around most of the other bikes in your list one time or another, The DR 350 is a class leader as a trail bike in my opinion its big brother also good it appears but no experience myself, neither are very common now. The XT 600 is a great unassuming travel bike but not such an involving ride but as dependable as they come. So 660's a bit fat, top heavy, a bit of nonsense with em, but tough available not too old seen em in action made of steel pick em up kick em straight keep on going and going and ........ you get the picture . 660 I would look at first probably the Z but not much to chose between the two. Possibly the best value for money too, the XR's were way overpriced when I looked last but thats a trend across the market. Welcome to the World of Knobs Good luck with your purchase let us know where the trail leads you.
scooby

Post by scooby »

Hi , i may be biased but have a look at my TTR600re thats on here for sale , it can easily do your commute and handle greenlanes no bother, ive also done longer rides (350mile days), cheap to run 60+mpg and weighs about 170kg with the big tank, a great bike.
But good luck and have fun with what ever you pick.
tempesc

Post by tempesc »

I’ve owned a xt660z since 2016 in South Africa. Have ridden it from Cape Town to Kenya on every road you can imagine, loaded. Its a great option. It is also tall (i am 1.83m and 110kgs and ergonomics are great for me).

I also had two XR400s before. Fun off road but not really a dual sport option for the reasons stated above for the XR600. Also no key so easily stolen (hence why i’ve had two….)

I’d trust your research - seems good to me provided you mean ‘light off road’. I also ride a few long distance trials and it would take one hell of a rider to ride the XT well on that - its too heavy for hardcore off roading for the masses.

Welcome and good luck!
tempesc

Post by tempesc »

The R is better than the Z in pure off road terms as quite a bit lighter.

If helpful here’s a 2 week trip I did on the Z and my mate did on a rented R. Both great for this sort of off road travel.

illmor

Post by illmor »

For starters nothing hardcore. No offroad experience. Greenlaning, forest tracks etc... At some point i may downsize again to 250 - 400, but for now i think xt660 should be fine. First i need to sell my bike, so it may take a while. I'll keep you updated. Thanks !!!

Wysłane z mojego RMX2155 przy użyciu Tapatalka

Return to “WELCOME NEWBIE”