Hi newbie on the forum

If you're new to the site make your 1st post here. Tell us who you are, what you ride, your travel plans, bank account details etc.
Old Plodder

Hi newbie on the forum

Post by Old Plodder »

Hi from the Sarthe in France

Been riding since l was 16 , a very varied range of bikes from a BSA Bantam to Honda SP1. Currently got a couple of oldies- 1979 BMW R65 (which I took on Nathan Millward’s land’s end John o groats garbage run)
1977 Moto Guzzi Le Mans (cos I live near Le Mans), and Ducati monster for the local lanes. Oh and the obligatory velo solex :?

Just sold a 95 Aprilia Pegaso that I attempted some of the TET in the Pyrenees - part of my dream, but turned into a bit of a failure. Not really the bike for the terrain and my riding ability :lol:
Still plodding along been riding bikes over 50 years now - don’t time fly when you’re having fun 👴🏻
Brenhden

Re: Hi newbie on the forum

Post by Brenhden »

Welcome aboard from Stroud

If you were heading to TET Pyrenees again which bike would you take?

Cheers

Bren
And now, Harry, let us step out into the night and pursue that flighty temptress, adventure.

Suzuki DR200 Djebel.
🇬🇧🇫🇷🇧🇪🇱🇺🇪🇸🇬🇷🇩🇪
Old Plodder

Re: Hi newbie on the forum

Post by Old Plodder »

Hi Bren

Thanks for the welcome - I will have another go at the Pyrenees but on a lot smaller bike not too sure what though at the moment. Currently looking at the new 2022 model Honda CB 500X, which could be a compromise solution if I don’t get too optimistic with the “off road” stuff. Other than that get a light weight enduro, any thing reliable up to 400cc and trailer it down with the car.
I have met people that have said they have done it on the big GS’s, but all I can say is that most of the riders that passed us were using things like Yamaha & KTM enduro bikes with mid sized engines. I have owned a BMW 1150GSA and no way would I want to try it on one of those now.

The problem with the Pegaso was I made the mistake of riding it down from Le Mans thinking it would be ok as a dual sport bike. My mate rode his Triumph explorer from Barcelona thinking the same. It was all very nice on the loose tracks and mountain roads, but we lost count of the number of times we got bogged down in mud, and low speed falls on the baby head rocks. The bikes were just too heavy for us to handle on the really rough parts.
Still plodding along been riding bikes over 50 years now - don’t time fly when you’re having fun 👴🏻

Return to “WELCOME NEWBIE”